188 trading post
Fallout: New Vegas locations project
188 trading post
Hover over icons for place name and page link.
With regret comes a girl... smiling sad, brown robe, name Veronica, half here. Wraps her and her heart up like a pack, in the pack, a key, some say.
Forecast: Cloudy, with a chance of friendship.”— The Forecaster, Fallout: New Vegas
The 188 trading post is a location in the Mojave Wasteland. It is made up of makeshift shacks and tents. Veronica Santangelo, a player companion, can be recruited here. The post is located directly north of El Dorado Dry Lake, west-north-west of Boulder City, and south of Camp Golf.
Background[edit | edit source]
Established by Michelle and her father Samuel after escaped convicts overran Primm, a great deal of travelers pass through the trading post. As I-15 was shut down due to deathclaws overrunning Quarry Junction, Highway 93 became the only way for NCR citizens to safely reach New Vegas. Coming, people casually spend the money they had conserved for gambling at the casinos. Going, the same people (now completely depleted of all their money) also go through the 188, this time willing to literally give the shirts off their backs to avoid starving before making it back to their homes in the NCR.
Its name comes from the fact that the location is situated at the crossing of Highways 93 and 95 - the two numbers add up to 188.
Layout[edit | edit source]
Upon arrival you will see campfires and vehicles/shacks on an over pass. There is an Arms merchant at the left end of the overpass, and Veronica Santangelo, a companion you can get near the center of the overpass. She is a hand to hand combat specialist and is particularly helpful against tough enemies. Facing Veronica is the merchants Samuel Kerr and his daughter Michelle Kerr who run a small shop. Samuel Kerr can also repair items.
Above the overpass to the north there is a very small NCR garrison with some tents (a couple of free beds inside where you can sleep). There are also a few unnamed generic NCR troopers, later on at a high enough level the NCR troopers will be replaced with NCR heavy troopers equipped with heavy incinerators and super sledges.
Inhabitants[edit | edit source]
On overpass[edit | edit source]
- Ezekiel: Associated with the Followers of the Apocalypse.
- Veronica Santangelo: Associated with the Brotherhood of Steel (Mojave chapter). She's also a permanent companion that gives the perk Scribe Assistant.
- Samuel Kerr: Sells food and offers repair services.
- Michelle Kerr: Sells weapons, ammunition, and food.
- Arms merchant: Sells weapons, ammunition, weapon mods, armor and clothing, and miscellaneous items.
Under overpass[edit | edit source]
- Alexander: A Gun Runner who sells weapons, weapon mods, miscellaneous items, and ammunition if a speech check is passed. His offerings are not as broad as the main Gun Runner shop, but he generally sells items not commonly sold there.
- Gun Runners guard: Alexander's bodyguard
- The Forecaster: Sells 'thoughts' about "You", "Everywhere", and "Here" for 100 caps each.
Notable loot[edit | edit source]
- Sunset Sarsaparilla star bottle cap laying on the bar that Samuel is behind.
Notes[edit | edit source]
- This place is often attacked by Legionary assassins.
Appearances[edit | edit source]
The 188 trading post appears only in Fallout: New Vegas.
Bugs[edit | edit source]
- When asking Samuel to fix your equipment the game may freeze.
- With the 126.96.36.1994 patch installed (Title Update 5 within the Hard Drive storage, for PC update 7), the game may crash anytime the player walks into the cell containing the 188 Trading Post. This will happen even after re-booting the game and even clearing the system cache. The only way around seems to be fast traveling directly to the trading post, or deleting the update.
- Fallout: New Vegas Official Game Guide Collector's Edition p.396-397: "[5.02] 188 Trading Post
Formed after the Powder Ganger break-out down at Primm [4.17] forced traders northward, the intersection of the 95 and 93 (hence "188") is now a bustling Trading spot, catering to the NCR from Boulder City [3.32] and Hoover Dam [3.33] as well as offering good connections down the 95. Start on the eastern side of the intersection."
(Fallout: New Vegas Official Game Guide Collector's Edition Tour of the Mojave Wasteland)