Elder Bert Gunnarsson is a doctor living in the Aerotech Office Park in 2281.
A Mormon priest from Utah, Bert is a relatively new arrival in the Mojave wasteland, having come to the area only six months earlier. He followed the trail his old friend, Nephi, in an attempt to turn him back to the Church, away from drugs and the Fiends. However, he soon realized that it is a lost cause, that Nephi allowed himself to be consumed by drugs and hate.
At the same time, he noticed that other people could benefit from his help and joined the Followers of the Apocalypse. Much to the chagrin of the Followers, he chose to focus his efforts on the NCR refugees at the Aerotech Office Park, as doctor and leader alongside Captain Parker.
 Interactions with the player character
 Interactions overview
|Involved in quests:
If asked who he is, Bert will mention that within the Church he is known as "Elder Gunnarsson", making Bert one of the few residents of New Vegas to identify themselves as belonging to a specific religion; in this case, Mormonism.
 Effects of player actions
Bert will comment on the death of Driver Nephi if the player speaks to him after killing Nephi, stating that he hopes Nephi's soul is at peace.
- Gunnarsson's eyes have survived the ghoulification process remaining fairly normal in appearance.
- He's one of the few doctors in the game who will heal the Courier for free, though he can't remove rads or addiction.
- In contemporary Sweden, his name would mark him as an ethnic Swedish man in his early-to-late 60's; there are, in fact, 12 people living in Sweden that share his name to the letter.
Bert Gunnarsson appears in Fallout: New Vegas.
 Behind the scenes
- According to dialogue unreachable in normal gameplay, Bert was at one point friends with Driver Nephi prior to his arrival in New Vegas, presumably when both lived in Utah. Nephi "fell in with a bad crowd", and when he and his gang moved to the West, Bert followed in the hopes of redeeming his friend. Bert states that he thought he "could turn [Nephi] back to the Church", indicating that Nephi at one point may have been a Mormon as well.
- ↑ J.E. Sawyer's formspring
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 Bert: "I surely am. Well, sort of. I came out from Utah about six months back, saw a need for my help here. The Followers weren't too happy about that, of course. They haven't been too fond of the NCR for a while, but I go where I'm needed."
- ↑ Bert: "Well, that's an interesting question. Among the Church, I'm called Elder Gunnarsson. The Followers call me "Doc.""
- ↑ Courier: "What was it that brought you out here from Utah?"
Bert: "Following a lost cause, I'm afraid. My old friend Nephi fell in with a bad crowd. Drug runners, raiders, probably worse things it's better not to dwell on. When his gang headed west, I followed. I thought perhaps I could turn him back to the Church."
- ↑ Bert: "I never was able to reach him. He has allowed drugs and hatred to consume him. He runs with the Fiends north of here, now. They call him Driver Nephi."