Bloatflies are mutated insects living in the Mojave Wasteland, Zion Canyon, and Big MT in 2281.
A bloatfly is a mutated blowfly with a green-brown carapace. Unlike the Capital Wasteland variety, bloatflies in the Mojave are largely docile, rather territorial and far less common. They are usually found around graveyards or pools of radiated water in groups of three to five.
 Gameplay attributes
Weak by nature, their attacks have very little effect. Their main attack consists of spitting spiked larvae at the player from a distance. They are relatively easy to kill in close combat, even if the player lacks any substantial skill in Unarmed or Melee Weapons, as they have very little health. However, it can be a bit tricky to hit them with a ranged weapon without the assistance of V.A.T.S., as they tend to move rapidly in sporadic patterns.
Unlike most other inhabitants of the Mojave Wasteland, bloatflies will often leave you alone if you walk away.
The normal variant with all of the attributes noted below.
|Name (Base ID)||Statistics||Behavior||Abilities||Items|
Very aggressive: Will attack enemies and neutrals on sight.
Average: Will avoid/flee from threats stronger than itself.
Helps nobody: Will not help anyone.
 Legendary bloatfly
The legendary variant found in the Big MT in the location marked Mysterious Cave. It is considerably larger than the normal bloatfly and has a pale green aura, making it easier to spot in the cave. Unlike normal bloatflies, it fires an extremely high damage plasma-like projectile from its tail and will explode like a plasma grenade when killed, leaving a goo pile instead of a corpse. If killed with a laser weapon critical it will leave a pile of goo and ash (both searchable) containing the same items. Like Gabe, the legendary bloatfly's immense size is suggested to be caused by a massive intake of chems, notably Buffout and psycho.
- Interestingly, bloatflies can also be seen as a smaller species that the player may mistake for random flies, usually lurking around rotten meat or near ransacked caravans (such as the Cassidy Caravans wreckage). If the player looks close enough the flies are simple bloatflies shrunk down. It is not known why they did not mutate to a larger size.
- Bloatflies are among the weakest creatures in the game. Ironically, the legendary bloatfly, encountered in the Mysterious Cave, is the most powerful creature in the game.
- Their natural habitat is generally the various tar pits, puddles, and graveyards throughout the Mojave Wasteland.
- A large number of bloatflies can be found west of Powder Ganger Camp West.
- You can also find two to four of them in the beginning of the game, in the Goodsprings Cemetery. However, these bloatflies will not respawn.
- The player is likely to encounter many of them on the way to Primm from Goodsprings, as there are many tar pits scattered along the left side of the road.
- They may spawn within the Camp Forlorn Hope graveyard next to the camp proper, but will be gunned down quickly. However, they can cause problems if attempting to talk to people outside who are near them, like Private Stone, as if the player is threatened the people in the camp will run around panicking. This can be amusing, though they cannot be talked to, thus preventing progressing with some quests. This can be solved by killing the bloatflies.
- Several bloatflies can be found behind the Jean Sky Diving shack, usually fighting with some Powder Gangers.
- Some can be found around the Wrecked Highwayman.
- They infest the Mysterious cave in Old World Blues, along with the legendary bloatfly.
Bloatflies appear in Fallout: New Vegas.
- After being killed by the legendary bloatfly, and reloading the autosave in the tunnel entrance, the legendary bloatfly may not have the characteristic green glow.
- Paralyzing the legendary bloatfly will cause a ragdoll effect making the limbs fly everywhere.
Error creating thumbnail: Invalid thumbnail parameters
|Humanoids||Ghost people (ghost harvester, ghost seeker, ghost trapper) · Ghoul (born ghoul, endless walker, feral ghoul roamer, feral ghoul reaver, Glowing one, feral trooper ghoul, swamp ghoul) · Human (dwarf, lobotomite, slag) · Super mutant (Mariposa super mutant (Super mutant (Fallout: New Vegas)#Super mutant brute, super mutant master, nightkin) · Vault 87 super mutant (Super mutant behemoth, super mutant brute, super mutant master, super mutant overlord)) · Spore carrier (spore carrier beast, spore carrier brute, spore carrier runt, spore carrier savage, spore carrier scavenger) · Swampfolk · Trog (trog brute, trog fledgeling, trog savage · Tunneler (hulking tunneler, tunneler queen, venomous tunneler)|
|Mammals||Bear (Mono-headed bear, Two-headed bear, Grizzly bear, Yao guai) · Bighorner (bighorner bull, bighorner calf) · Brahmin · Cattle · Coyote (coyote alpha male, coyote den mother, coyote pup) · Dog (cyberdog, Legion mongrel, vicious dog) · Giant rat (mole rat, pig rat) · Horse · Sheep · Tiger · Wolf|
|Reptiles||Deathclaw (baby deathclaw, young deathclaw, blind deathclaw, deathclaw alpha male, mother deathclaw, Intelligent deathclaw, legendary deathclaw) · Experimental deathclaw (baby experimental deathclaw, elder experimental deathclaw) · Hairy deathclaw · Gecko, fire gecko, golden gecko, little gecko) · Iguana · Komodo dragon · Lakelurk · Mirelurk king · Mutant crocodile · Swamplurk queen · Two-headed rattlesnake|
|Arthropods||Bloatfly (legendary bloatfly · Boom bug · Cazador (young cazador, giant cazador, legendary cazador) · Desert stalker · Electro-beetle · Fire ant (fire ant nest guardian, Fire ant queen, fire ant soldier, fire ant warrior, fire ant worker) · Giant ant (giant ant queen, giant soldier ant, giant worker ant, giant albino ant, Giant albino ant queen) · Giant wasp · Mantis (giant mantis, giant mantis nymph, giant mantis female) · Mirelurk (mirelurk hunter, nukalurk, swamplurk) · Radroach · Radbug · Radscorpion (albino radscorpion, bark scorpion, bark scorpion hunter, small radscorpion, giant radscorpion, radscorpion queen)|
|Aves||Bird · Chicken · Raven|
|Fish and amphibians||Giant catfish · Radtoad · Fish (Fallout, Fallout 2, Fallout 3, Fallout: New Vegas)|
|Plants||Spore plant · Venus mantrap · Weedling|
|Abominations||Abomination · Alien · Alien squid · Alien worm · Centaur (evolved centaur) · Floater · Gehenna · Giant leech · Lamprey floater · Manowar tendril floater · Molech · Mutant cannibal · Mutant wanamingo · Nightstalker (young night stalker, den mother, legendary night stalker)|