Broc flower cave
Fallout: New Vegas locations project
Broc flower cave
Background[edit | edit source]
Many portions of Broc Flower Cave are slightly irradiated. It appears that (pre-War) the cave was used as a toxic waste dump site. Additionally, someone set up a lab on a radiation free ledge where they could study the giant rats that are found thriving amid the hazardous conditions.
Layout[edit | edit source]
From the entrance, the path forks. The left path leads into an irradiated room (1-2 rads per second that fills the whole barrel-filled cavern) where a skeleton with a knife, .357 magnum revolver and an ammunition box sits in the middle, along with a Lad's Life. This loot may not be worth the hassle & rads, as even with the Scrounger perk, the ammunition box only contains a small amount of ammunition.
The right path forks again after the descending path winds past mine carts with barrels in them and flattens out into a small cave. The right fork from here goes up to a ledge with a view over the main irradiated cave chamber, then leads to a recessed room containing a broken fence. Through this fence is the Ratslayer, medical equipment and ammunition boxes. Notable items include two stimpaks and one Med-X on the table that are in front of the player when they pass the fence and a Programmer's Digest on the furthest right table. On the desk where the Ratslayer is found there are two RadAways, one stimpak, a Cateye, another Progammer's Digest and a Today's Physician. There is a Sunset Sarsaparilla Crate to the right of the desk. On it lies a radiation suit. The left path leads to a final cavern, where Jane's brahmin will spawn for the Debt Collector quest.
|The following is based on the Wild Wasteland trait and has not been confirmed by canon sources.|
Upon entering the cave, those with the Wild Wasteland trait will hear an eerie noise and a special Pip-Boy icon will appear, denoting the beginning of a Wild Wasteland event.
Instead of normal rats being found here, R.O.U.S. are found (rodents of unusual size).
|End of information based on the Wild Wasteland trait.|
Notable loot[edit | edit source]
- Ratslayer - a unique varmint rifle with a night vision scope, an extended magazine and a silencer;
- Two Programmer's Digests in the upper lab as well as a Today's Physician;
- Lad's Life in the middle next to an ammunition box;
- .357 magnum revolver near the skeleton's outstretched hand in the middle;
- Salesman Weekly on the floor right when you enter the cave.
- At base of the narrow path outside that leads to the cave itself, on the left-hand side near the ground is a small graffiti that reads "The sun is killing me", which marks a hollowed-out rock with some items in it.
- Radiation suit - Rad. Res. +30 in the room with the Ratslayer
- Various meds/chems, in the room with the Ratslayer, stimpaks, blood packs, RadAways etc.
Related quests[edit | edit source]
Notes[edit | edit source]
- As the name suggests, Broc Flower Cave is obviously named after the high concentration of broc flower outside of the cave. This could also be considered the highest concentration of broc flowers in the game.
- Inside the lab where the Ratslayer is located there's half of a first aid box sticking out of the floor near the other first aid box hidden under a table. It seems like this first aid box was placed there by mistake by the creators of the level because of the weird placement and the fact that it's very near the other first aid box
- Radiation levels can range from 1-3 rads\sec, up to even 20 when drinking the water - being well stocked with Rad-X is highly recommended.
- Since the cave is so close to a legion camp, the player will find many veteran and recruit legionaries and 1-2 Veteran Decanus around the cave. They are armed with machetes, throwing spears, fire axes, and a couple even have trail carbines.
- A small group of NCR soldiers may also be found fighting the legion not far from the cave.
- Along with the military activity, many prospectors also roam the area.
Appearances[edit | edit source]
The Broc Flower Cave appears in Fallout: New Vegas.
Behind the scenes[edit | edit source]
The cave's inhabitants, a variant of giant rat, are referred to as "rodents of unusual size" is a nod to the 1987 movie The Princess Bride.
Bugs[edit | edit source]
- Debt Collector quest. This bug seems to affect PC versions as well. Thankfully, the player can lie about collecting the caps and pay off all of the debts themselves. Jane's brahmin can also be placed near the player using the console (PC). Enter "player.placeatme 116af4". If the player enters the cave before Lady Jane tells them about her lost caravan, the brahmin will not be there if they return to the cave for the
- If the Debt Collector quest is completed before and without entering the cave it is unlikely to see the prospector's ghost or Lady Jane's pack brahmin.
- Be careful entering the cave with companions. Dropping from the top of the hill to get to the entrance before a companion is allowed to catch up will cause them to enter the cave in the middle of a group of enemies and possibly die before the player can reach them.
- Rodents of unusual size can occasionally get stuck in the walls, making them inaccessible, even though they show up as enemies on the compass. Companions will attempt to attack these rats.
- The prospector might not be a ghost running around, but just what appears to be a normal non-player character.
- Upon leaving the cave, the broc flower plant outside may fall through the floor and reappear several times.