Fallout 3 locations project
The Capital Mall is an open-area national park in Fallout 3. It is based on the real-life National Mall in downtown Washington D.C, except the one in Fallout 3 is much smaller and has different museums.
The Mall is now a bombed-out war zone occupied by super mutants. The park itself has been replaced by a series of trenches, fences and bunkers in fortified positions where the super mutants are entrenched. Crossing this part of the Mall will involve heavy combat, but the various Metro stations on each side of this zone offer a relatively safe passage.
The Brotherhood of Steel holds a defensive position around the Washington Monument in the center of the Mall, and Talon Company is taking the offense against super mutants to the west toward The Capitol Building.
The Reflecting Pool, found between the Washington Monument and the Lincoln Memorial, is full of wrecked cars and shopping carts and its radiation is strong enough to reach a few feet away from the water.
The Mall is a key location in Fallout 3 that connects several important buildings and areas together. However, because of this, it has the second largest concentration of super mutants in the Capital Wasteland, first being Vault 87.
 Points of interest
- Museum of American History- Fawkes goes here when dismissed. Also a ghoulified Moira Brown goes here if you blow up Megaton
- Museum of Technology
- Lincoln Memorial
- Washington Monument
- National Archives
- The Capitol Building
- Mirelurk nesting hole
- Super mutant bunker
- Museum Authority Building - added with the Broken Steel add-on.
 Notable loot
- Duck and Cover! in the super mutant bunker.
- Chinese Army: Special Ops Training Manual and Nuka-Cola Quantum in the mirelurk nesting hole.
- Most of the super mutants in the Mall do not respawn so it is possible to make the area relatively clear of enemies.
- For the adventurous type, it is a good place to pick up a couple of extra miniguns (off of super mutants) and some spare suits of power armor (off of fallen Brotherhood of Steel soldiers).
- It is one of the most diverse, in terms of factions, location on the map. This includes an assortment of Brotherhood of Steel troops, Talon Company mercs, slavers, super mutants, and feral ghouls.
- With Broken Steel installed, a super mutant overlord can spawn in front of the museum of history, and will respawn.
The Mall only appears in Fallout 3.
Concept art by Adam Adamowicz