A template in this article or section is missing some data. You can help The Vault
by filling it in
Make no mistake. Your father would be proud of what you've done.
”— Star Paladin Cross, Fallout 3.
Star Paladin Cross is a possible companion in Fallout 3, found at the Citadel in 2277.
Star Paladin Cross is the highest ranking Brotherhood of Steel soldier in the Citadel, but she no longer works in the field. Instead, she now serves as Elder Lyons' trusted bodyguard and advisor. It is well known that Cross has been technologically enhanced so that she no longer needs to eat or sleep. She is in fact, a cyborg. The change occurred several years ago, after Cross was critically injured defending Elder Lyons while out in the field; Scribe Rothchild performed the enhancement operation that saved Cross' life. But there's something even more important about Star Paladin Cross — she's none other than the Brotherhood of Steel soldier who helped save the Lone Wanderer's life as a baby. Cross helped James, the father of Lone Wanderer, get through the super mutants and escorted them all the way to Megaton.
Interactions with the player character
||This character drops an ear when killed (Contract Killer).
||This character is a permanent party member.
- Star Paladin Cross can be recruited as a follower if the Lone Wanderer has Good Karma.
- If the Lone Wanderer insults her or their father, she refuses to follow the Lone Wanderer.
- With the Broken Steel add-on installed, the Lone Wanderer will be able to ask her to join their party once again after completing Take it Back!, even if they previously insulted James (but the positive Karma check still applies).
Effects of player actions
- Because she belongs to Lyons' Brotherhood of Steel, Star Paladin Cross instantly becomes hostile towards any nearby Brotherhood Outcasts if she is dismissed from the party in their presence. This can be exploited for farming Outcast weaponry and armor without a karma loss, as at high levels she is able to wipe out entire groups of Outcasts. Cross doesn't turn hostile towards Outcasts on the Xbox 360 vanilla version.
- If the Lone Wanderer destroys the Citadel during the Broken Steel quest Who Dares Wins while Cross is a companion, she will become hostile along with the rest of the Brotherhood of Steel. This can be very troublesome for a high-level Lone Wanderer, since Cross levels with the Lone Wanderer and can have the same—or more—health than a deathclaw.
- † Cross is wearing a unique variant of power armor, ed id FollowersOutfitCross, base id 00066c73, though it does not have better statistics than any other power armor and is indeed simply called power armor.
- Cross can be recruited even if the Lone Wanderer already has one (or more) followers, when speaking with her for the first time (having good karma & not insulting her or their father) she will ask the Lone Wanderer if she can ask a difficult question, if the Lone Wanderer responds to that with: "I don't suppose I can stop you" she will join the party regardless of how many followers you already have. (a recent update for consoles has fixed this)
- Like many people in The Citadel, when you start Take it Back! Star Paladin Cross will only spout lines such as "For Elder Lyons!" and "Good Luck!"needs verification
- Cross bears a close resemblance to the character Martha Washington (particularly in Martha Washington Goes to War) that appears in Frank Miller's Give Me Liberty comic book series.needs verification
- "There is a foul stench on the wind. Let us not tarry for long."
- "I shall reflect on the battles past and the battles to come until your return."
- "In the words of Elder Theis: "A Brother well equipped is a Brother keeping to his duty.""
- "Helping the people of the Wasteland is of the utmost to the Lyons Doctrine."
- "Make no mistake. Your father would be proud of what you've done."
- "As the Codex says: "Through discourse, we gain the strength of our Brothers' minds.""
Cross appears only in Fallout 3.
- needs verification
Sometimes, if Cross dies in battle, you will receive a message many in-game weeks later, stating that "Star Paladin Cross has returned to the Citadel."
- needs verification
If you tell Cross to wait, then reopen dialogue with her later, she will act as if you hadn't told her to wait and have normal dialogue, but she will still remain in that spot indefinitely. Firing her and rehiring her can fix this, but remember that you must have good Karma to rehire her.
- needs verification
If you make her hostile towards you as a companion she will not have a unique line when spoken too but instead talk as if she is still a follower. If you tell her to switch to a new weapon, she will attack you with it upon exiting the conversation.
- needs verification
If you give Star Paladin Cross items to carry for you, she will fail to move. The only way to get her to move again is to take the items back, dismiss her, and then ask her to again become your follower (before she is gone).
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 Cross: "Hail to you. By the traction of hospitality and on the word of Elder Lyons, I welcome you to the Citadel. I am Star Paladin Cross, Keeper of the ARM, and Seneschal to Elder Lyons. And, I am honored to say, I was acquainted with your father. Now, what may I do to help you?"
- ↑ Fallout 3 Official Game Guide Game of the Year Edition p.98: "Star Paladin Cross
Star Paladin Cross is the highest ranking Brotherhood of Steel soldier in the Citadel, but she no longer works in the field. Instead, she now serves Elder Lyons's trusted bodyguard and advisor. It is well known that Star Paladin Cross has been technologically enhanced so that she no longer needs to eat or sleep. She is, in fact, a cyborg. The change occurred several years ago, after Cross was critically injured defending Elder Lyons while out in the field; Scribe Rothchild preformed the enhancement operation that saved Cross's life. But there's something even more important about Star Paladin Cross-she's none other than the Brotherhood of Steel soldier who helped save the player's life as a baby. Cross helped Dad get through the Super Mutants and escorted them all the way to Megaton."
(Fallout 3 Official Game Guide Game of the Year Edition Wasteland Census)