Fallout: New Vegas locations project
Essentially the only way to get atop the Promontory is a dirt path North of the position marked by the picture to the right.
It is a rough, uneven area over a cliff, with a labyrinth of hills, filled with a large number of various types of deathclaws.
- tri-beam laser rifle next to the body of the dead prospector.
- Non-faction T-51b power armor and helmet found on a dead prospector.
- Remnants power armor found on a dead prospector.
- Multiplas rifle found between the dead prospectors.
- 3 Deathclaw eggs can be found at the southern end against a cliff. Several additional eggs may be looted off defeated deathclaws. If you are having trouble finding them, they are almost due South from the dead prospector.
- Most of the Deathclaws in this area do not respawn. Only 6-10 Deathclaws will respawn, and they're typically only Young Deathclaws and Regular Deathclaws (see bugs).
- The number of deathclaws found atop the promontory varies with the player's level. If the player is a high level (close to the level cap) there can be in the area of 30 deathclaws, potentially including multiple mother and alpha male deathclaws.
- Both broc flowers and xander root grow extensively in this area.
- The collision hulls for the uneven terrain in this area have been very carelessly done, with the result that followers may sink into the rocks, get stuck, or even disappear entirely. Fast traveling away will free them again.
- This is the only place in the game you can obtain Remnants power armor (minus the helmet) other than doing the quest For Auld Lang Syne for Arcade Gannon.
- Legionary Assassins may spawn in area after loading a save in the area.
- It is strongly recommended that the player achieve a high Guns, Energy Weapons, or Explosives skill before attempting to clear deathclaw promonotory.
Behind the scenes
- Not all deathclaws in this area may appear when arriving at the location for the first time. The remaining deathclaws will typically re-appear once the player has fast traveled or, notably, when the player loads a save. The latter may result in the player's death if the save was made while on the promontory itself. For this reason, it is strongly recommended that at least one save be made (and kept) prior to climbing onto the promontory.
Similar to the above bug, the dead prospectors may not appear on the player's initial arrival at the promontory. Saving and reloading, fast-traveling, or waiting for several hours should solve this issue.
- Sometimes bodies, and other game objects fall through the ground and are in-accessible. The only remedy is to wait for the game to reset the objects in the map cell to their original positions. This requires seventy-three in-game hours spent away from the area, and is unaffected by saving and loading.
- It is possible for an 'invincible' deathclaw to spawn here. Even when it has lost all HP it still lives and cannot be killed.
- Using Archimedes II in this area can result in the red targeting lines randomly triangulating all around the area (orbital laser will not discharge either). This was not fixed by saving/reloading. However, upon fast traveling to the prospector's shack across the river, the orbital laser did discharge, scoring a direct hit on the player, causing serious damage. After several save/loads, the targeting laser glitch remains present whenever this area is visited.
Sometimes, after clearing the area, several more deathclaws will all spawn at the same time and in the same area. Sometimes these deathclaws include mother and alpha male deathclaws, even at lower levels.
- Silver Peak Mine before going to deathclaw promontory solved above problem. It's a good idea to take the Remnants power helmet with you when you head to the deathclaw promontory, or when returning if you encounter this glitch. Getting the Remnants power helmet from
- Sometimes, the bodies with the armor may appear, but the weapons will not. This can be fixed by waiting ingame for the cells to reload.
- Sometimes deathclaws may spawn inside of the rocks which make them a minor threat. However, targeting them in V.A.T.S. will send you into the rocks with no chance of escape.
If you are wearing T-51b power armor or T-51b power helmet you will see one deathclaw and a Tri-beam Laser Rifle.
- If you save while in the cell area and quit to dashboard, once you load the game, all the deathclaws will be found dead with arms and legs mutilated.
Deathclaw Promontory appears only in Fallout: New Vegas.