Fallout 3 crafting
|This page describes crafting in Fallout 3.|
Schematics allow you to create homemade weapons at a workbench if you have the proper components. Acquiring multiple copies of the same schematic allows you to make multiple copies of a weapon from one set of components (bottlecap mine, Nuka-grenade) or weapons with higher initial condition at the time of construction (all other weapons).
 Multiple copies of a schematic
|Number of schematics||Condition|
|1||75% of your repair skill|
|2||100% of your repair skill|
|3||125% of your repair skill|
Obtaining more than one copy of a schematic upgrades the plans. Additional schematics cease to yield benefits after three of each kind have been located; they will simply appear as items in your inventory.
For non-explosives, two plans increase the initial condition of the weapon at construction to 100% of your repair skill (from 75% of your repair skill with just one blueprint). Three plans net a condition of 125% of your repair skill at construction; however, you cannot build a weapon with a higher starting condition than 100%.
For the bottlecap mine and Nuka-grenade, additional schematics allow you to make more items from a single set of components instead. With one schematic - you make one. With two - you make two. With three - you make three.
Additional schematics do not increase the base damage of a weapon. As the base item is the same, the base statistics are as well. The change is in its starting condition (or number, for the bottlecap mine and Nuka-grenade), which does increase the effective damage of the weapon.
 Repair skill
Higher repair allows you to make homemade weapons that have higher starting condition and damage. As you make multiple copies of the same weapon you can combine them with the repair skill for higher condition and damage. Alternatively you can have an non-player character repair them. The bottlecap mine and Nuka-grenade are always at maximum condition.
 List of schematics
|Schematics - bottlecap mine||Bottlecap mine||000baffb|
|Schematics - dart gun||Dart gun||000baffa|
|Schematics - deathclaw gauntlet||Deathclaw gauntlet||000baffc|
|Schematics - Nuka grenade||Nuka-grenade||000baffd|
|Schematics - railway rifle||Railway rifle||000baffe|
|Schematics - Rock-It Launcher||Rock-It Launcher||000bafff|
|Schematics - Shishkebab||Shishkebab||000bb000|
- In the Operation: Anchorage add-on, schematics for the trench knife can be found in the game files. They are not functional though and cannot be used to build trench knives, even if obtained via console commands.
- The Cryolator was probably meant to have Schematics for it, seeing as it was meant to be a homemade weapon.
- If you have downloaded Broken Steel, you can receive the Warmonger perk, which gives you all three schematics of every custom weapon. It only works if you are patched up to the latest version.
- The in-game picture on the blueprint for each device appears to be based on a telegraph machine.
- If you have less than a 100 repair skill and use version 3 schematics to make a weapon above your repair skill to give to a companion, it will decrease to your maximum repair skill while in their inventory. (Witnessed on 360 with Jericho and the Shishkebab, 80 repair skill and version 3 schematic, weapon deteriorated overtime from its maxed capacity.)