For Auld Lang Syne is a companion side quest in Fallout: New Vegas.
The Enclave have been beaten down on the West Coast, but a few former members continue an existence in the Mojave.
- Obtain Arcade Gannon's trust by earning at least 5 "like" points.
- Travel to a few places will trigger Arcade to comment and earn 1 point: these places include the crashed Vertibird, inside the REPCONN headquarters, and inside The Fort (he will ask why here: 2 points for saying, "Let's just listen to [Caesar], figure out what he's up to, and get out.", 1 point for saying, "I just want to hear Caesar out." and 1 point for saying, "With how messed up New Vegas is, do you really think Caesar has nothing to offer?", followed by, "I'm just trying to be open-minded.")
- Speak to Thomas Hildern about anything at all. Arcade will initiate conversation about Hildern's intentions: 2 points are awarded for saying, "Good thing there are still people like you around." and 1 point for saying, "I'm sure he means well."
- During the quest That Lucky Old Sun, when the player gets to the mainframe, Arcade will spontaneously suggest that the power should be directed to Fremont and Westside. 1 point is awarded for agreeing, or 1 point is awarded for suggesting powering the whole region, and passing an Intelligence check of 7 to explain.
- Several triggers associated with the quest The White Wash: 1 point for saying, "If you say so. I'm not arguing." when Arcade mentions that he's heard about Anderson; 2 points for completing the quest by blaming the problem on the Scorpions and letting Tom Anderson go; 1 point for completing the quest by getting Tom Anderson to turn himself in with a fake story about fighting over Dazzle, but letting Westside Co-op continue to have the water; 1 point for passing an Intelligence check of 7, saying, "You're assuming a motive without evidence. Please be rational." when Arcade gets mad about killing Tom Anderson at the end of The White Wash (obviously, this only happens if the player kills Tom Anderson); and 1 point for saying, "It's cleaner this way, without bringing NCR in. No connecting Anderson back to the locals." in answer to Arcade's followup question to the above, asking why the player killed Anderson.
- Progress to one of the main storyline triggers; these include destorying the Brotherhood of Steel as part of The House Always Wins V, installing Yes Man into the Lucky 38 mainframe as part of Wild Card: Change in Management and reporting to Colonel Cassandra Moore that Mr. House has been killed as part of For the Republic, Part 2.
- Find five former Enclave members; the Remnants:
- Doctor Henry in the main lodge at Jacobstown; Cannibal Johnson in his cave; Judah Kreger in Westside; Orion Moreno in his house near the NCR sharecropper farms; and Daisy Whitman in or near her hotel room in Novac.
- Persuade them to reunite at the Remnants bunker.
- Persuade them to fight for the New California Republic or Caesar’s Legion during the final battle. This results in either Moreno, or Kreger and Johnson leaving the Remnants. Moreno can be convinced to fight for the NCR with a large amount of infamy or a Speech check of 80, but Kreger and Judah cannot be convinced to stay. Arcade will leave the Courier's service if they command the Remnants to fight for the Legion.
|1|| ||With Arcade, convince the Remnants to reunite for one last battle.|
|2|| ||Ask Doctor Henry to come to the Remnants reunion.|
|3|| ||Ask Daisy Whitman to come to the Remnants reunion.|
|4|| ||Ask Cannibal Johnson to come to the Remnants reunion.|
|5|| ||Ask Orion Moreno to come to the Remnants reunion.|
|6|| ||Ask Judah Kreger to come to the Remnants reunion.|
|7|| ||Gain access to the Remnants Bunker.|
|8|| ||Ask the Remnants to support the fight against the Legion or the NCR.|
|9|| ||(if you chose to help NCR) Try to convince Orion Moreno to stay.|
|10|| ||(if you chose to help NCR) Tell Judah Kreger what happened with Orion Moreno.|
|11|| ||(if you chose to help NCR) Acquire Power Armor Training from Daisy Whitman.|
|12|| ||(if you chose to help Legion) Acquire Power Armor Training from Orion Moreno.|
|13||Leave the Remnants' command room so they can plan for the coming battle.|
- This is one of the three quests where you may receive Power Armor Training (the others being Eyesight to the Blind and Tend To Your Business, both of which are Brotherhood of Steel quests).
- Even though the Brotherhood of Steel has been a great enemy of the Enclave for years, they will not attack each other if you peacefully resolved the conflict between the Brotherhood and the NCR.
- If you complete this quest, the Remnants will come to Hoover Dam during the final battle. All but Arcade (who is either helping a pair of NCR Heavy Troopers fight Legionaries in the Hoover Dam Visitors Center, or staying at the Mormon Fort helping the Followers) and Daisy Whitman (who flies the Vertibird) will show up in a Vertibird midway in the battle, where they will engage a group of 5-6 prime legionaries and centurions. After the Legion troops are dead, Doctor Henry and Cannibal Johnson will follow you up to the Legate's camp, Orion Moreno will walk away, and Judah Kreger will stay in one spot for the rest of the battle. This only happens if you side with the NCR; if you ask the Remnants to side with the Legion, they are hostile at Hoover Dam and must be killed.
- It is also possible to complete For Auld Lang Syne, even in the Legion's favor, without losing Arcade as a permanent companion. Simply tell Arcade to wait at the Lucky 38 after recruiting the Remnants but before you enter the bunker. Arcade should still be waiting for you upon finishing the quest. Keep in mind, Arcade Gannon's ending will be absent when the game is complete if this is done (unless you later sell him into slavery during Et Tumor, Brute?, which will also make him leave you permanently) You will also be unable to obtain the Gannon Family Tesla armor from Arcade by using this exploit.
- The name of the quest is from the poem and song "Auld Lang Syne", traditionally sung on New Year's Eve.
- It loosely translates from Scots as "For Days Gone By", or "For Old Time's Sake", and is used as a phrase to mean 'Remembering those passed' or 'Recalling what has happened before'.
- The first verse of the poem is "Should auld acquaintance be forgot,/and never brought to mind?" This may be an in-game reference to the Remnants putting aside their fringe lifestyles and identities as Enclave members, and involving themselves fully in the politics and life of the Mojave Wasteland.
It is possible to not be able to activate the quest for some unknown reason, despite attempting all trigger options; if you're traveling with ED-E in your party get rid of him and the quest should work.
When recruiting Whitman in the hotel room, as soon as she agrees, Arcade will disappear, but will reappear once you leave the room, allowing the player to receive the conversation affirming the checkpoint afterward.
Sometimes, Orion will appear near Silver Peak Mine after storming out of the bunker and will stand there until the Battle of Hoover Dam.
- Hoover Dam, if the player is sided with Mr. House or Yes-Man, the Remnant might be hostile.
When the Enclave Remnants appear during the fight at the
- Arcade Gannon may stay in the Lucky 38 presidential suite after completing the quest by telling him to stay in Freeside.
It's possible that
If the player got the Power Armor Training from the BoS, there will be no other option but to tell Kreger that he/she already got the Power Armor Training and therefore the player will not get the Remnant power armor from Daisy. The quest ends after leaving the Remnants bunker.
- Orion Moreno, if he is still alive.
The player may be unable to leave the briefing room at the end of the quest. The door can be unlocked by pickpocketing the key from
At the end of the quest, Arcade Gannon might not ask about his decision whether to fight or not, and might stop following. His companion wheel might also become inaccessible.
If you do not kill Orion and then enter the meeting room, once you come out Arcade is gone and sometimes will not be able to be found for the rest of the game.
|Act 1||Ain't That a Kick in the Head · Back in the Saddle · By a Campfire on the Trail · They Went That-a-Way · Ring-a-Ding-Ding!|
|Act 2||Wild Card (Wild Card: Ace in the Hole, Change in Management, You and What Army?, Side Bets, Finishing Touches) · The House Always Wins (I, II, III, IV, V, VI, VII, VIII) · Render Unto Caesar · Et Tumor, Brute? · Things That Go Boom · Kings' Gambit · For the Republic, Part 2 · You'll Know It When It Happens/Arizona Killer|
|Act 3||No Gods, No Masters · All or Nothing · Veni, Vidi, Vici · Eureka!|
|Other||Come Fly With Me · Crazy, Crazy, Crazy · Ghost Town Gunfight · Guess Who I Saw Today · Left My Heart · My Kind of Town · The Legend of the Star and A Valuable Lesson · Unfriendly Persuasion · Wheel of Fortune|
|Companion quests||ED-E My Love · For Auld Lang Syne · Heartache by the Number · I Could Make You Care · I Forgot to Remember to Forget · Nothin' But a Hound Dog · One For My Baby|
|Unmarked quests||A Bit of Slap and Tickle · Access Powers · All Fired Up! · Andy and Charlie · Arachnophobia · Arizona Scavenger · Barton the Fink · Bear Necessities · Big Winner (Atomic Wrangler, The Gomorrah, The Tops, Ultra-Luxe, Vikki & Vance) · Bounty Killer (I, II) · Brotherhood Bond (I, II) · Caching in at the Cove · Cajoling a Cudgel · Claws Mended · Claws Out · Dealing with Contreras · Defacing the Humble Stone · Democracy Inaction · Don't Poke at the Bear · Eddie's Emissary · Exhumin' Nature · Flogging a Dead Corpse · Friend of the Followers · Getting a Leg Up from Andy · Gland for Some Home Cooking · Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger · Hat's Entertainment · Help for Halford · Hidden Valley computer virus · Highway to the Danger Zone (I, II) · Honorary Rocketeer · I Love Bananas · Iron and Stealing · Keith's Caravan Charade · Laurifer Gladiator · Lenk's Bad Debts · Lily and Leo · Long-Term Care · Malleable Mini Boomer Minds · Maud's Muggers · Meeting an Equal · Missing a Few Missiles · Not Worth a Hill of Corn and Beans · Of Boomers and Education · Old School Ghoul · A Pair of Dead Desperados (I, II) · Papers, Please · Pistol Packing · Playing on the Old Joana · Poor Meat Never Makes Good Soup · Powder to the People · Power to the People · Proper Burial · Razzle Dazzle! · Reach for the Sky, Mister! · Rest and Resupply · Ringo's Caravan Rules · Rotface's Loose Lips · The Screams of Brahmin · Silus Treatment · Short-Term Treatment · Smooth-Talking Criminal · Strategic Nuclear Moose · Straus Calls · Strip Search · Saving (or Savaging) Sergeant Teddy · Stocking Up · Suits You, Sarah · A Team of Moronic Mercenaries · Team Spirit · The Thorn Mayhem · Thought for the Day · Tourist Traipse · Trudy's Radio Repair · A Trusted Aide · Useless Baubles or Fancy Trinkets? · We Must Stop Beating Like This · We Must Stop Meeting Like This (I, II, III, IV) · Wind-Brahmin Wrangler · You Gotta Break Out a Few Eggs · You Make Me Feel Like a Woman|
| Cut quests||Auto-Inject Quest · Bright and Shiny · Chip Provenance · Debug Topics · Jailhouse Rock · Meat of Champions (quest) · TempMan · The Thorn Mayhem · Underpass Water Purifier · Viva Las Vegas! · Welcome to Fabulous New Vegas|