I Could Make You Care
I Could Make You Care
- 1 Quick walkthrough
- 2 Detailed walkthrough
- 3 Quest stages
- 4 Notes
- 5 Behind the scenes
- 6 Bugs
- Get Veronica to question the wisdom of the Brotherhood of Steel.
- Get a piece of advanced technology to convince the Elder of Veronica's fears.
- Defuse the situation with the Brotherhood paladins outside the bunker.
- Share your opinion with Veronica whether or not she should remain in the Brotherhood or join Followers of the Apocalypse.
Initiating the quest
This quest is triggered by Veronica seeing things around the Mojave that cause her to question the wisdom of the Brotherhood of Steel remaining hidden underground and not interacting with the world. There are nine triggered conversations throughout the Mojave Wasteland that Veronica will initiate in response to nine different situations she and the Courier may encounter together. Note that you will only need to complete three of the conversations to activate this quest. Some of them can only be triggered by lines of dialogue that only happen once, so if the player has already heard that line before recruiting Veronica, the trigger won't occur. Note that there are three triggers that can never go away - the main doors at Camp McCarran terminal building, the entrance ramp of Vault 3, and traveling near Nelson or Cottonwood Cove. If she doesn't initiate the listed conversation, it may initiate if the player talks to her via companion wheel or waits 30 seconds or so. There is a delay in the conversation trigger, and it won't trigger if the player is in conversation with someone else.
- Casa Madrid Apartments - The trigger is some of Tom Anderson's lines. Specifically, the line, "I'm with the Followers of the Apocalypse...," (responding to the question, "What do you do here?"), and all of his lines confessing to the murder of Corporal White (part of the quest The White Wash). All of these lines are only given once. Veronica contrasts her good cause and lack of resources with the Brotherhood of Steel's incredible resources but lack of a good cause.
- Vault 3 - The trigger area is on the outside, about a third of the way down the ramp to the door. Veronica talks about how the Fiends are giving the NCR more trouble than the Brotherhood ever did.
- Vault 34 - The trigger area should be inside the vault or in the cave leading to the vault. Veronica talks about "how these people have no idea of the Brotherhood's existence".
- Nelson or Cottonwood Cove - The trigger is the player traveling to either location and staying for 30 seconds or so. The trigger areas are large squares larger than each town, so it may trigger before the player actually sees the town, or while passing through a corner while on the way to another location. The two towns share a single trigger, so going to both does not count twice. Veronica comments on 'ordinary guys with knives and bullets, and they're taking over Nevada'.
- Camp McCarran terminal building - The trigger area is just inside the terminal building, at the center set of main triple doors or the eastern set of triple doors closest to Colonel Hsu's office. The third set of triple doors on the west side will not trigger the conversation, as there is no trigger zone there. It is not necessary to pass through the doors; just walk very near them on the inside of the terminal. Veronica talks about her surprise at how many NCR troops there are.
- Camp McCarran terminal building - The trigger is the line, "A pleasure to meet you! I'm Dr. Thomas Hildern..." This line only happens when the player first meets Thomas Hildern. Veronica talks about the NCR investing in new research, unlike the Brotherhood.
- Nellis Air Force Base - The trigger is listening to Pete's lecture in front of the mural in the Nellis Boomer museum. The trigger is the last line of his speech. Veronica remarks on the similarities between the Boomers and the Brotherhood of Steel.
- Old Mormon Fort - The trigger is Julie Farkas's line, "Are you here to drop off medical supplies? ..." which only happens the first time the player meets her. Veronica is impressed with the work they're doing. Some people have been able to trigger Veronica's dialogue in the Old Mormon Fort even after the player has already met Farkas. Try talking with doctors around the camp.
- REPCONN test site - The trigger is Jason Bright's line, "We wish to escape the barbarity of the wasteland..." which is his response to the first question about the "Great Journey." This line is only given once. Veronica compares Jason Bright to her old mentor, Elijah.
- Silver Rush - The triggers are Gloria Van Graff's greeting "Welcome to the Silver Rush..." and her line "Please let me know if anything catches your eye." which is the response to the player saying, "I'm just browsing." Some of these lines will not happen during certain stages of Birds of a Feather. Veronica comments on all the energy weapons.
Questioning the way of things
After finding three of the nine triggers above, Veronica will take you aside and ask the player to go to Hidden Valley, as she has something she needs to do. Agree to go and go the Brotherhood of Steel bunker. Once inside, visit the Elder in charge, either McNamara or Hardin, depending on whether the player has finished Still in the Dark and the outcome of that quest. Veronica will try to convince the Elder that the Brotherhood needs to grow and change, but the Elder isn't interested and dismisses the notion. Veronica will ask the player to help her find some data or technology that will help her convince the Elder. She will suggest going to one of her old mentor Elijah's data terminals.
Convincing the Elder
Finding Veronica's mentor's old terminal is simple enough. Near Novac is the Gibson scrap yard and near the scrap yard is Gibson's shack. Elijah's terminal notes three advanced technologies that the Brotherhood never got a look at. Finding one of these technologies is required to get the Elder to understand where Veronica is coming from.
Euclid's C-Finder and Archimedes II
If not already done, complete That Lucky Old Sun and divert the power to Archimedes II. Note that it is not necessary to activate Archimedes I, the base-protection technology that will kill the NCR soldiers. After it is activated, obtain Euclid's C-Finder from Max in Freeside. It can be taken while he sleeps, bought for 1,000 caps (or at 20 caps with 45 barter), or pickpocketed.
New farming technology
The player needs to go to Vault 34 and eventually open the Overseer's office, and unlock the armory door. In the armory is the Very Hard locked box with the pulse gun. The player can obtain the key to the box containing the pulse gun from a filing cabinet in Pearl's barracks at Nellis Air Force Base. The key must be stolen, which results in a karma loss. This removes the requirement of picking a very hard (100) lock.
The Brotherhood is not pleased
After getting one of these advanced technologies, return to the Elder. Veronica will show him the technology, yet he will remain unconvinced. Veronica will ask the player's opinion about whether she should stay in the Brotherhood or leave. The player can choose for her, or can tell her it is her choice, in which case she will stay.
Veronica will want to go outside to get some air. Outside will be a team of Brotherhood of Steel paladins who are angry at Veronica and the player for spreading subversive ideas. The player must deal with them in one of the following ways:
If Veronica decides to leave the Brotherhood, the player tells them so, and they let Veronica leave, but tell Veronica never to come back (there's an optional 95 Speech check here (rewards no XP for passing it), but it has essentially the same outcome.) Killing the paladins at this point will fail the quest and make Veronica leave.
If Veronica decides to stay in the Brotherhood, the paladins are not so easily dissuaded. The only solutions are:
- Pass a 95 Speech check to get them to leave peacefully. As above, killing the paladins after succeeding the check will fail the quest and make Veronica permanently leave the player.
- Scare them off with Terrifying Presence, which is only a temporary solution. They will be there every time the player returns to the Hidden Valley bunker until one of the permanent solutions is taken.
- Fast travel before they have a chance to engage you in conversation as soon as you exit the bunker. This method is also temporary, but will give you enough time to get a 95 speech level or gather supplies for defending against them.
- Talk to them until they turn hostile and attack, then kill them all. The player will not gain infamy with the Brotherhood or lose Veronica's trust by killing them, at least if the paladins shoot first.
Once the paladins are dealt with, the next actions depend on whether Veronica decided to leave the Brotherhood or remain a member.
If Veronica remains a member, she comments about her decision, and the difficulties of staying with such a dogmatic group. The quest concludes and Veronica gets the Bonds of Steel perk.
If Veronica decides to leave, she expresses an interest in joining the Followers of the Apocalypse. She suggests going to the Followers' outpost. At the outpost talk to Doctor Alvarez about Veronica joining. She says that Dr. Schiller makes the decisions, and he's gone for the day. After waiting for at least 24 hours, return to the outpost. The player will find the rogue paladins, who have slaughtered all the Followers of the Apocalypse and patients, and accuse the player and Veronica of sharing forbidden knowledge with outsiders. There's no way around it - the rogue paladins all need to be killed. Killing them will not gain Brotherhood infamy and will not make Veronica leave. Veronica will blame herself, but it just reinforces that she made the right decision. The quest concludes and Veronica gets the Causeless Rebel perk.
|10||Go with Veronica to talk to the Brotherhood of Steel elder at Hidden Valley.|
|20||Return with Veronica to the Brotherhood of Steel elder with evidence of the Brotherhood's misguided priorities.|
|25||Access Father Elijah's notes at the comm terminal with Veronica.|
|30||Visit the Pawn Shop in Freeside and the Vault 21 gift shop with Veronica.|
|40||Look for the man who bought the rangefinder in Freeside near Mick and Ralph's.|
|50||Ask around to see what became of the rangefinder.|
|60||Recover the rangefinder.|
|70||Find a way to enable the rangefinder at HELIOS One.|
|80||Bring the rangefinder to the elder at Hidden Valley.|
|90||Speak with the director of OSI about his research project.|
|100||Recover the experimental data from Vault 22.|
|110||Bring the data back to the elder at Hidden Valley.|
|120||Look for information about the pulse gun at Nellis Air Force Base.|
|130||Recover the pulse gun from Vault 34 if it still exists.|
|140||Bring the pulse gun back to the elder at Hidden Valley|
|150||Bring Veronica to check in with the Followers of the Apocalypse outpost.|
|160||Return to the Followers of the Apocalypse outpost when Dr. Schiller is there.|
|170||Talk to Veronica|
|200||Discuss your remaining options with Veronica.|
- If the player has already completed That Lucky Old Sun without diverting power to Archimedes II, the Archimedes option cannot be completed.
- During the search for the Euclid's C-Finder, Sarah Weintraub in Vault 21 tells the player that a man with a "strange metal collar" already purchased it. Veronica may comment "I don't like the sound of this. Hope that collar isn't what I think it is. What did you do, Elijah?" upon hearing this. When the player finds the man in Freeside, he is already dead, with his head blown off. Veronica doesn't comment any further about the body.
- Veronica's final conversation with the Elder is based on which technology item is currently in the player's inventory when they step into the Elder's office, not which technology the player selected to pursue in dialogue with Veronica.
- The Fallout: New Vegas Official Game Guide erroneously lists traveling to Nipton as one of the triggers needed to begin this quest.
- If you convince Veronica to leave the Brotherhood, she will refuse to go inside the Hidden Valley bunker and wait outside until you come back out.
Behind the scenes
- 'I Could Make You Care' is the name of a song by Frank Sinatra.
- There Stands the Grass prior to starting this quest, it's impossible to finish the quest with the "farming technology" even if the data was not destroyed by Keely. The quest directs you to the terminal in Vault 22, which no longer has the data. If the player has completed
- Activating the Archimedes II weapon system and gaining the Rangefinder before you initiate this quest will automatically flag the journal to tell you to return to the Elder after activating the terminal in Gibson's shack. If you go get a second technology, the quest is seemingly broken. Neither Veronica or the Elder will have conversation options to continue further, and neither will initiate their dialogue scripts between the two, despite there being periods where you cannot talk to either one after coming close to the Elder.
- After the Brotherhood Paladins confront you outside the bunker Veronica may become immobile.
- HELIOS One to power the grid instead, you should be able to discuss the other two options with Veronica. However, when talking to her only her normal dialogue appears, rendering the mission unsolvable. After taking the Rangefinder option, if you use
- In some cases, usually after a long playtime or getting to a certain point in the game, Veronica will not enter any of the dialogue triggers.
- When the Paladins initially deliver their ultimatum, sometimes only one will become hostile and three will run away, still friendly. The quest completes normally after killing the one hostile, but upon returning to the bunker the three have come back, deliver their ultimatum again, and attack. After this fight, Veronica refuses to follow you, and will sometimes start an unprovoked dialogue with you but only give the standard "what's up?". This appears to be caused by her attempting to deliver the quest-ending dialogue but, already having delivered it, getting stuck and refusing to budge until it's delivered.
- The encounter with the Paladins outside the bunker may not spawn, stopping the quest from progressing. This can be fixed by re-entering and exiting the bunker until they turn up. It may take four or five attempts before they appear.
- Gibson's shack, Veronica just walks off to the intercom at Hidden Valley and does the same thing. Whilst trying to complete the "Go with Veronica to talk to the Brotherhood of Steel elder at Hidden Valley" section of the quest, Veronica enters the Hidden Valley Bunker and instantly runs to the intercom. She then proceeds to do nothing other than say "See you around" on a continual loop and refuses to engage in conversation. Upon fast traveling to
- pulse gun, your Pip-Boy may still show the objective "Find the pulse gun in Vault 34". After obtaining the
- Vault 34 causes a "DLC not installed" error message and forces a restart. After completing the quest Veronica may stop following you. Fast travel and dismissing and rehiring her has no effect. Reloading to a previous save after entering
- Paladin Hardin in the Still in the Dark quest, but before Elder McNamara is ousted, Hardin and McNamara will not talk to the player, and the Brotherhood quests will be locked. However, this does not have any affect on Veronica's quest itself. This can also cause Veronica to stop following you. If done after helping
- Nellis Air Force Base trigger may fail, and Veronica fails to comment after hearing the speech. (Xbox 360) it may take several attempts for this dialogue to initiate. The same can happen with the Silver Rush trigger.
- If you re-enter the bunker after encountering the hostile paladins, sometimes not all of them will enter to follow you.
- Nellis Air Force Base not to spawn in the cabinets rendering the "easy way" through this part of the quest way to be impossible. It is possible for the keys and information on the pulse gun at
- Solution to the dialogue between Veronica and the Elder freezing or not starting at all during the first phase I Could Make You Care: upon arrival, stand beside the Elder's table and raise and lower (twice if necessary) your Pip-boy any time the conversation freezes. You might lose some sentences, but the first step of the given quest (Bring Veronica to the Elder) will be completed, and Veronica gives you the next step of the quest (the terminal thing) as soon as you leave the Elder's room.
- "e32a9".sayto e2f87 VMS49ElderDiscussion1 or "e2f87".sayto e32a9 VMS49ElderDiscussion1. Replace the 1 at the end with a 2 if you're delivering the technology. You can also use the console:
- Solution to Veronica not following after I Could Make You Care: During the battle with the paladins, KO Veronica before you kill the last paladin. When she wakes up, you can manually talk to her twice for her standard dialog (this won't work on hardcore mode for obvious reasons).
- If she becomes immobile after completing the quest, try talking to her using the companion wheel. She will thank you for helping her out and she should start following again. If this doesn't work try one of the other fixes below. There is also a fix on NewVegasNexus: http://www.newvegasnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=35943
- If Veronica won't follow you anymore (she simply stands in place and won't move, despite being able to interact with her) after you fight the Paladins outside the Hidden Valley Bunker (After suggesting she stay with the Brotherhood to gain her Bonds of Steel Perk), simply travel to Gibson's Shack, re-download the data from the computer, talk to her so she brings up the conversation about what technology to pursue, choose the technology you choose initially to complete the quest, exit the conversation, talk to her again, enter her workbench and craft ANY item (1 ammunition conversion works just fine), after the item is crafted and added to your inventory she should now follow you again. Test by simply entering into sneak mode, if she crouches with you she is now following you again. Solution works for Xbox 360, PS3 and PC.
- If Veronica won't follow you anymore, you'll have to go back to before the part of the mission where she speaks to the elder after you retrieved the notes, and directly tell her you want her to leave (don't suggest for her to stay, and don't allow her to choose for herself).
- If Veronica gets stuck and won't follow you anymore, and then you get the infinite loop once you get to the comm terminal at Gibson's Shack, you'll have to restart the mission (from a previous save) and work back to the part where she speaks to the elder after you retrieved the notes, and directly tell her you want her to leave (don't suggest for her to stay, and don't allow her to choose for herself). Then go to Gibson's Shack and access the comm terminal, and once you do, it will say (in the upper left side of your screen) "COMPLETED: Access Father Elijah's notes for the comm terminal", and upon exiting the terminal, Veronica will automatically start talking. After you choose one, it will give you the option to exit the dialogue, and Veronica says, "I like the way you think...".
- If Veronica missed too many triggers to initiate her companion quest, the console command set "145f85".ngreetingpending to 1 will advance her companion quest dialog conversations. This may need to be done up to 3 times, allow a few seconds after the console command for her to initiate dialog. Since there are always three triggers available (McCarran, Vault 3, Nelson/Cottonwood Cove), it's generally going to be better to trigger the quest "normally" - use the console only if the regular triggers won't work.
- If you have already completed There Stands the Grass and you are unable to download the Vault 22 data: it's possible to reset the mainframe terminal by using the console command set e6a6a.DataState to 0; you can then re-download the data to complete the objective. This should even work if the data was deleted. (Or you can talk to Veronica about the technologies and switch to a different objective.)
- If the dialogue options do not open automatically give Veronica some Formal Wear for the unmarked quest You Make Me Feel Like a Woman and she will most likely not respond. However, sit down, and when you stand back up, open the companion wheel, go to the talk to option, and then talk to her about trading equipment, take the dress back and put it back in, and when you leave the triggers should work.
- If Gibson's Shack freezes upon trying to enter, ask Veronica to wait outside. You can download the data without her, and her dialog will automatically trigger when you exit and see her again.
- Sometimes there will be a non hostile paladin frozen outside the followers outpost when you return, you will not loose any karma for killing the paladin.