I Forgot to Remember to Forget
I Forgot to Remember to Forget
 Activating the quest
In order to access the necessary dialogue options, the player must have spoken to Manny Vargas in Novac or Bitter-Root in Camp McCarran about his tour of duty in the NCR and Bitter Springs. In order to trigger the quest, the player must accumulate a total of five "history points" with Boone. History points can only be earned while Boone is in your party.
 History points
- Killing Vulpes Inculta yields one (1) history point.
- Camp McCarran
- Killing the captured Legion POW Silus at Camp McCarran him, if he dies yields one (1) history point.
- Note that this history point is earned for Silus's death at any point, not just during interrogation.
- During the quest "I Put a Spell on You" a total of two (2) history points are available. Confronting and killing the spy in the act yields one (1) history point and disarming the monorail bomb yields one (1) more.
- The Fort
- Legion Raid Camp
- During the side quest Booted at the Legion raid camp, rescuing the hostage Powder Gangers yields two (2) history points
- During the side quest Back in Your Own Backyard in Nelson, you can mercy kill or rescue crucified NCR troops. If you kill the NCR troops, it yields one (1) history point. Saving the troops yields two (2) history points.
- Cottonwood Cove
- Eradicate the Legion soldiers (including Aurelius of Phoenix) from Cottonwood Cove yields two (2) history points.
 Quick walkthrough
- Complete five (5) of the "history points".
- Speak to Manny Vargas in Novac or Bitter-Root at Camp McCarran about their tours of duty
- Talk to Boone about what happened at Bitter Springs.
- Accompany Boone to Coyote Tail Ridge near Bitter Springs.
- Eliminate the three waves of Legion soldiers raiding Bitter Springs.
 Detailed walkthrough
In order for Boone to initiate dialogue about what happened at Bitter Springs, the player must have both gained Craig Boone's loyalty and talked to either Manny Vargas in Novac or Bitter-Root at Camp McCarran (after a speech check of 30) about the Bitter Springs Massacre. When this happens, the player can suggest going to Bitter Springs. Boone will initially refuse, but later request that the player travel there.
Once you get to Bitter Springs, he asks you to go to Coyote Tail Ridge, where he was stationed, and tells you exactly what happened during the massacre there. He then asks you if you don't mind staying overnight. If you say yes, the screen will fade out and fade back in, with Boone telling you that a Legion raiding party is on the way. It largely consists of recruits, but they can be tough to defeat, especially if you're trying to avoid casualties. Some tougher units will be mingled with the later waves.
The attacking Legion forces come in three waves. The first two waves come toward Bitter Springs up the sloping hill. The third wave comes through a small gap in the side (where the graveyard is located). Two waves of dogs will be dispatched prior to the second and third waves. The quest is considered complete once all three waves are dead. Boone will talk to you again, and at the end of the conversation his armor is upgraded depending on your last answer. Although both armors are only cosmetically different, this choice actually influences Boone's ending. The 1st Recon survival armor is received by making Boone repentant and the 1st Recon assault armor is received by making Boone bloodthirsty.
 Journal entries
|1||Travel to Bitter Springs with Boone.|
|2||Go with Boone to Coyote Tail Ridge.|
|3||Talk to Boone about staying overnight at Coyote Tail Ridge.|
|4||Talk to Boone.|
|5||Go to Bitter Springs refugee camp and repel the Legion raid.|
|6||Talk to Boone.|
- In order to get the quest to activate, you have to exhaust all of Boone's dialogue options about his wife and Bitter Springs. Multiple history points and their associated dialogue can be earned in succession, but you will still have to run through all of it. Boone will usually initiate conversation after earning a point, but not always.
- If you have done all the above and the dialogue still hasn't triggered, go back to Novac and make sure to talk to Manny Vargas (the other sniper). He should have a "new" dialogue about Bitter Springs. Exhaust those dialogue options with Manny and it should open up new conversations with Boone.
- To determine your current 'history points' with Boone, you may type into the console show "96BCD".nopenness (on PC only).
- After completion of the quest, Mr. New Vegas will report the incident on Radio New Vegas. He mentions that two civilians repelled an entire Legion raiding force, and in an interview, a civilian witness said that "God sent us two angels, and at least one of them had a .308 caliber flaming sword of justice with a telescopic sight". If you kill Boone, Mr. New Vegas will mention that he was attacked by a Legion raiding party.
 Behind the scenes
The name of this quest is a reference to the song by Johnny Cash of the same name.
After beginning this quest and traveling to Bitter Springs, Boone will sometimes not initiate the conversation necessary to continue the quest and will have only his default dialogue when spoken to.
- To be able to continue the quest, open the console and enter the command setstage 001349A7 20 This will skip the part of the quest that's glitched, and allow you to begin the "Go with Boone to Coyote Tail Ridge" section of the quest.
- Both points you get during 'I Put A Spell On You' may not count; whichever you do first (save the monorail or kill the spy) will count as one history point, but upon completing the other task the other history point will not register.
- Great Khans may randomly appear near your character when waiting or sleeping. The wait or sleep period will end prematurely and the screen will zoom in as if initiating dialogue (even if no one is in front of your character), but will quickly zoom back out. If you look around, there will be a Great Khan (with whom you cannot speak) standing near your character doing nothing. This may occur numerous times. After completing this quest, members of the
- If Boone is still looking for enemies even after you have defeated all of the Legion, Boone might say "Let's get through this first," when he was supposed to say the scripted line.
- If you have killed all the NCR in Bitter Springs, this quest will fail immediately after the fade on top of Coyote Tail Ridge.
- Sometimes, if Boone approaches you saying that he's ready to go to Bitter Springs, but you don't immediately accept, he may become stationary and will not move again until you talk to him and tell him that you want to go to Bitter Springs.