The infobox template in this article is missing some required data. You can help The Vault by filling it in.
A template in this article or section is missing some data. You can help The Vault by filling it in.
This article has missing audio files. You can help The Vault by uploading them.
One day Mama took me aside and said, "Boy, you're never going to go very far, but you're gonna make a whole lot of people come up short."”— Jean-Baptiste Cutting
|The following is based on Van Buren and has not been confirmed by canon sources.|
Half-brother to Frieda Van Graff and one of the escaped Tibbets prisoners, Jean-Baptiste was to play a fairly major role in the first act of Van Buren, but was only ever mentioned in Frieda's biography.
|End of information based on Van Buren.|
In New Vegas, Cutting has taken on the role of an enforcer, forming the backbone of the might of the Van Graff family. He works in the Silver Rush alongside another of his half-sister, Gloria, and does his part in the politics of their operation in the only way he knows how; with the barrel of his laser rifle. He has Cutting as a surname, opposed to Van Graff because his mother only gave him the surname to remind her dead husband.
Interactions with the player character
|This character is involved in quests.|
- Birds of a Feather, Heartache by the Number: Jean-Baptiste wants to have a little chat with a woman called "Cassidy". You'll need to find her, and bring her back to the Silver Rush. Note that you have to pick a side, you cannot complete both of these quests together.
- Tend to Your Business: If Hardin is made Elder of the local Brotherhood of Steel chapter, then he'll task you with annihilating the Van Graffs so the Brotherhood can recover their stockpile of energy weapons.
|Combat armor||Laser rifle||30x - 45x microfusion cells
1x - 8x Drained microfusion cells (75% chance)
Van Graff key
- Jean-Baptiste Cutting has extremely high health, more than most companions, as well as an incredible, and normally impossible, 117 Energy Weapons skill. The only reason for this seems to be to make him a "boss" character.
- He is also notably taller than the player character, much like Sammy Wins.
- Killing him won't award the player with positive karma, though he is considered an evil character.
Behind the scenes
Jean-Baptiste was pretty different in the tabletop game, but only in the nature of his nastiness. He wasn't a smooth talker or the sort of guy who would threaten people. He was tight-lipped and observant and would just do horrible things without any warning. Jean-Baptiste was focused on survival so he would do anything to anyone to stay alive. He's probably the worst character I've ever played, morally.”— J. E. Sawyer
- Jean-Baptiste Cutting is likely a reference to Jean-Baptiste Carrier, a French Revolutionary infamous for his cruelty.
- prid 10d8e5, then OpenTeammateContainer 1. If Jean-Baptiste is killed, his body sometimes cannot be looted. On PC, you can access his inventory by entering
- Jean-Baptiste, after the delivery in Birds of A Feather, tends to get stuck on the stairs and not move, unless provoke by an attack in Silver Rush, the quest will be failed if he's killed.
- Jean-Baptiste, after the Cass related part of the quest tends to disappear and not come back.
When he says, "Gloria's the one you want to talk about working for us.", the subtitles misspell "Gloria's", for "Glory's".
- Not a glitch. "Glory" is just Jean-Baptiste's nickname for Gloria. He consistently calls her this if you talk to him after successful completion of Birds of a Feather.
- After Baptiste tells you to go retrieve the Cassidy girl in the "Birds of A Feather" Quest, when you return to the Silver Rush with the girl, Baptise is nowhere to be found, even though the map says otherwise.