It is now. Me and the rest of the guys busted out of the NCR prison east of here and took over. Now we're calling the shots.
Joe Cobb is the leader of a Powder Ganger group in Goodsprings in 2281.
A career criminal, Cobb has been running with some of the toughest gangs the wasteland has seen. However, nothing lasts forever and ultimately he was incarcerated for robbery, arson, and murder. Placed in the NCRCF on a work-release program, he took his freedom when Samuel Cooke triggered the prison break. Salvaging armor from dead guards, he and his men started to haunt the stretch of Long 15 between Sloan and Primm. His recent string of successes was marred when a Crimson Caravan trader going by the name of Ringo decided that combat was the better part of valor and started shooting during a shake down.
Cobb and his fellow gangers took down the caravan, but Ringo managed to escape and hole up in Goodsprings. The denizens of the city took him in and gave him shelter, infuriating Cobb. Right now he is busy tearing the place up, trying to intimidate the townsfolk into giving him up.
Interactions with the player character
- Run Goodsprings Run: The player can offer his services to Joe and help him take over Goodsprings.
- Ghost Town Gunfight: Joe Cobb must die to end the ganger threat to the town. Accepting this quest after talking to Ringo will preclude following through with Joe Cobb's attempt to take over the town.
Effects of player actions
- Killing Cobb before the battle with the town militia will prompt different reactions from the townsfolk. Trudy will be worried about potential revenge seekers, while Sunny Smiles will be more concerned about the reasons for killing him. Ringo will honestly say that killing him alone does not solve the ganger threat.
- Completing Joe Cobb's quest will raise Ganger fame and Eddie will remark on the fact.
- "[Tell me about the NCR.] "New" California Republic - nothing new about it. Just a bunch of people with money and power pushing everyone else around. They've got troops all over the Mojave, but it's a big desert so it's pretty easy to avoid them if you want."
- "[What do you know about the Legion?] I've run with some tough gangs, but I gotta admit they all got nothing on the Legion. I hear they stick you up on poles and it takes awhile to die. I ain't saying I'm afraid of them or nothing, but I'll be staying out of their way."
- "[If you run the town, they'll have to work for you. Food, water, and money will be yours.] Shit, yeah. Mayor Cobb - I like the sound of that. Running my own town will give me more pull with the guys at the prison, too. First things first, though. You go settle things with Ringo and put a bullet between his eyes while I round up my crew and let them in on the plan."
- "[Free food, I guess.] Having all the food we want ain't a bad idea, actually. Getting sick of eating prison rations. First things first, though. You go settle things with Ringo and put a bullet between his eyes while I round up my crew and let them in on the plan."
- "[What's been going on in the rest of the wasteland?] Same old shit that's been going on for years. The NCR and Legion are still fighting over Hoover Dam for some reason."
- "[What were you in prison for?] None of your damn business. You ought to know better than to ask a man that kind of question."
- "[What was that you said about Ringo?] He's some trader who decided he'd rather shoot than pay the toll for being in our territory. He's hiding somewhere in town. Would serve these idiots right if me and my guys shot the place up after we got payback on Ringo."
- "[This area is your territory?] It is now. Me and the rest of the guys busted out of the NCR prison east of here and took over. Now we're calling the shots."
- "[Ringo's dead. What now?] Good. We'll still need a plan before we rush the town. I don't want to embarrass myself and get beat by a bunch of townies. We ain't got much in the way of supplies, so if you could shake down the old doctor and the store owner for some stuff, we'd be in good shape. Once you're done with that stuff - or none of it - say the word and we'll make our move."
- "[So what's next for you guys?] I figure we'll hang around Goodsprings for awhile, maybe get some of the other gangs to join up with us. Won't kill anybody else unless we have to. Just as long as people do what we tell them, they'll be all right."
- "[Do you know anything about Hoover Dam?] Never been there since the NCR's got troops all over it. Must be pretty important."
Joe Cobb appears only in Fallout: New Vegas.
- ↑ Confirmed with GECK
- ↑ The Courier: "What do you know about the Legion?"
Joe Cobb: "I've run with some tough gangs, but I gotta admit they all got nothing on the Legion. I hear they stick you up on poles and it takes awhile to die. I ain't saying I'm afraid of them or nothing, but I'll be staying out of their way."
(Joe Cobb's dialogue)
- ↑ The Courier: "What were you in prison for?"
Joe Cobb: "None of your damn business. You ought to know better than to ask a man that kind of question."
The Courier: "I just need to know if I should watch my step around you."
Joe Cobb: "[SUCCEEDED] Robbed some people, burned some things, killed a few guys."
(Joe Cobb's dialogue)
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 The Courier: "I overheard your argument. What was that all about?"
Trudy: "It looks like our little town got itself dragged into the middle of something we don't want anything to do with. About a week ago, this trader, Ringo, comes into town. Survivor of an attack, he says. Bad men after him, needs a place to hide. We figured he was just in shock, so we gave him a place to lie low. We didn't actually expect anyone to come after him."
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 The Courier: "What was that you said about Ringo?"
Joe Cobb: "He's some trader who decided he'd rather shoot than pay the toll for being in our territory. He's hiding somewhere in town. Would serve these idiots right if me and my guys shot the place up after we got payback on Ringo."
(Joe Cobb's dialogue)
- ↑ Joe Cobb: "I'm done being nice. If you don't hand Ringo over soon, I'm going to get my friends and we're burning this town to the ground, got it?"
Trudy: "We'll keep that in mind. Now, if you're not going to buy something, get out."
(Joe Cobb's and Trudy's dialogue)