|For an overview of katana in the Fallout universe, see katana.|
|crit dmg||22||crit % mult||x2|
|effect||2x limb damage|
Normal weapon reach
The katana is a melee weapon added with the Fallout: New Vegas add-on Gun Runners' Arsenal.
A katana is a type of Japanese sword with a blade length greater than 23.6-28.7 inches (60-73 centimeters) and characterized by its distinctive appearance: a curved, slender, single-edged blade, circular or squared guard, and long grip that can accommodate two hands. Often called a "samurai sword" or "samurai's sword" because of its use by the feudal warriors, it became a symbol of the samurai caste.
Renowned for its sharpness and cutting ability, its origins go back at least as far as the Kamakura Period (1185–1333). Most often held with two hands, some techniques and combat styles were performed with a one-handed grip. The katana was generally carried in a saya, or scabbard, manufactured from lightweight wood, with a coat of lacquer on the exterior and a wooden knob on one side for attaching a braided cord.
The single-edged, razor-sharp blade is extremely effective against most enemies not only because it has a high attack speed of around three hits per second but it also has a special V.A.T.S. attack called "Unlabored Flawlessness", where an attack is launched in reverse grip. This V.A.T.S maneuver costs 40 AP and does 2.5 times the base DMG.
- Katana authentic blade, increases damage by 5, removes the exhausted blade for a polished blade and the worn blue grip for a black grip.
- Katana protective sheath, increases condition by 50%, adds a traditional brown saya (Japanese scabbard) attached to the belt on the left.
- Katana balanced grip, increases attack speed by 20%, removes the worn blue or black grip for a good condition red grip.
- When dropped, the current model appears as that of the base weapon despite being modded or not.
- If the player is skilled in Melee Weapons, has the Slayer and Ain't Like That Now perks, the balanced grip and the authentic blade modifications, it can attack as fast as up to five or six times per second.
- When modded with the protective sheath modification, it'll be the only melee weapon in the game with a visible scabbard and not in the weapon itself.
- Every time the vendors' inventories are reset, Mick will always have one in stock.
- After modding with the protective sheath upon dropping this weapon both the sheath and the katana will appear to have dropped separately.
- Sometimes when you swing it too fast the sound can become un-synchronized like two different blade slash sounds playing at the same time.
- Without modifications, it is visually identical to the Samurai's sword from the Fallout 3 add-on Mothership Zeta.
 Behind the scenes
- If modded with the protective sheath, when changing weapons or un-equipping the katana, the sheath will still be on the players hip. When dropped, sometimes the sheath is not dropped. Occasionally, this bug may also result in two sheaths overlapping each other.
- Equipping a different weapon that is holstered the same way will remove it, but sometimes changing weapons may not remove the sheath and the player has to save the game, return to the main menu, and reload the save to fix the problem.
- An alternate way of removing the sheaths is to repeatedly equip and un-equip another weapon using the hotkeys until the sheath disappears.
Katana with a black grip and a polished blade (katana authentic blade modification).
Katana with a red grip (katana balanced grip modification).
Katana with a red grip and a polished blade (katana balanced grip and katana authentic blade modifications).
Saya (katana protective sheath modification).
Katana with all modifications.
|Items||Weapons (Non-unique)||12.7mm Submachine Gun · 25mm grenade APW · 5.56mm pistol · Anti-materiel rifle · Assault carbine · Baseball bat · Battle rifle · Chainsaw · Fat Man · Fat mine · Hunting revolver · Katana · Laser pistol · MFC cluster · MFC grenade · Nuka-grenade · Plasma Defender · Plasma pistol · Power fist · Ripper · Time bomb, high yield · Tin grenade · Tri-beam laser rifle|
|Weapons (Unique)||Bozar · Cleansing Flame · Embrace of the Mantis King! · Esther · Gehenna · Greased Lightning · Li'l Devil · Medicine Stick · MF Hyperbreeder Alpha · Nuka Breaker · Paciencia · Sleepytyme · Sprtel-Wood 9700 · The Smitty Special · Two-Step Goodbye|
|Ammo||12 gauge dragon's breath · 12 gauge 4/0 Buck · 12 gauge flechette · 12 gauge pulse slug · 20 gauge shotgun shell, 3/0 buck · 20 gauge shotgun shell, pulse slug · Hive missiles · 40mm Plasma grenade · 40mm grenade, pulse · 25mm Plasma grenade · 25mm grenade, pulse · 25mm grenade, timed · 12.7mm JHP · 5.56mm match · 5mm JSP · 9mm JHP · .50 MG, explosive · Energy cell, optimized · Microfusion cell, optimized · Electron Charge Pack, optimized · Flamer fuel, optimized · Mini nuke, Big Kid · Mini nuke, low yield · Mini nuke, timed · Mini nuke, tiny tots · Missile, hive|
|Weapon mods||12.7mm SMG Laser Sight · 12.7mm SMG Stacked Magazine · 12.7mm SMG Suppressor · 25mm Grenade APW Expanded Drum · 25mm Grenade APW Long Barrel · 25mm Grenade APW Upgraded Internals · Anti-Materiel Rifle Carbon Fiber Parts · Anti-Materiel Rifle Custom Bolt · Anti-Materiel Rifle Suppressor · Assault Carbine Extended Mags · Assault Carbine Forged Receiver · Assault Carbine Light Bolt · Baseball Bat Cork Core · Baseball Bat Maple Body · Baseball Bat Nails · Chainsaw Alloy Frame · Chainsaw Carbide Teeth · Chainsaw Heavy-Duty Chain · Hunting Revolver Match Barrel · Hunting Revolver 6-Shot Cylinder · Katana Authentic Blade · Katana Balanced Grip · Katana Protective Sheath · Laser Pistol Combat Sights · Laser Pistol Focus Optics · Laser Pistol Recycler · Plasma Defender Hi-Capacity Terminal · Plasma Defender Scope · Plasma Defender Sheath Stabilizer · Plasma Pistol Hi-Energy Ionizer · Plasma Pistol Magnetic Accelerator · Plasma Pistol Recycler · Power Fist Chromed Tubes · Power Fist Hi-Capacity Valves · Power Fist Ported Chambers · Ripper Carbide Teeth · Ripper Heavy-Duty Chain · Tri-beam Laser Rifle Focus Optics · Tri-beam Laser Rifle Heavy-Duty Capacitors · Tri-beam Laser Rifle Hi-Capacity Terminal|