Kings' Gambit is a side quest in Fallout: New Vegas.
Ambassador Crocker is concerned that the New California Republic is merely tolerated in New Vegas; there have been issues between NCR citizens and Freeside locals, and the ambassador seeks an end to it.
- Speak to Ambassador Crocker about NCR-Freeside hostilities. There are two options to bring an end to them.
- Option 1: Assassinate Pacer, who is responsible for the attacks.
- Frame the Van Graffs by learning of their feud from Rotface.
- Examine Pacer's drug stash (first room on the left, third floor of The King's School of Impersonation) to learn about the possibility of placing a note there.
- Talk to Ralph at Mick and Ralph's and request a forged note from Jean-Baptiste Cutting to Pacer. This requires a Speech of 50 or membership in The Kings.
- Plant the note at the stash and wait for Pacer to check it (he comes to use his stash around 10 PM).
- Watch him run over to the Silver Rush and get killed by the guards there.
- Alternatively, one can frame the Van Graffs by planting a plasma grenade or mine on Pacer while he sleeps.
- Locate Pacer's stash, which will only spawn if Rotface mentioned it or if the Courier steals Pacer's medical record from Julie Farkas's room in the Old Mormon Fort.
- With a Medicine of 60, one can add some Psycho to Pacer's stash.
- Wait until 10 PM when he comes to use his stash; he was suffer a fatal heart attack.
- Option 2: Negotiate with The King to resolve it diplomatically without violence.
- The simplest way to ease tension is to use The King's favor from G.I. Blues.
- Failing that, the Courier can gain support from Colonel Cassandra Moore at Hoover Dam. She assigns a squad to them, who will support them while they confront The King. The King will not yield and the confrontation turns into a bloodbath. The quest will fail, but the Courier can then return to Ambassador Crocker for half of the original cap reward and another assignment.
- Alternatively, the Courier can talk to Colonel James Hsu at Camp McCarran. Like Colonel Moore, he will assign a squad to them and ask them to offer The King some NCR support for his works. Being polite and emphasizing support will convince The King to end hostilities, but being rude results in a bloodbath similar to Colonel Moore's method.
- Report to Ambassador Crocker. If the King is dead when this quest starts, the player can only report to the Ambassador that the Kings were wiped out.
|1|| ||Kill Pacer in a way that implicates someone other than the NCR, or talk the King into ceasing hostilities with the NCR|
|2||Return to Ambassador Crocker with the news that the King has agreed to cease hostilities.|
|3|| ||(Optional) Kill Pacer in a way that implicates the Van Graff family.|
|4|| ||(Optional) Kill Pacer by adding Psycho to his jet.|
|5||Return to Ambassador Crocker with news of Pacer's death.|
|6|| ||Return to Ambassador Crocker with the news that the King will not curb the violence in Freeside.|
|7|| ||Speak with Colonel Moore at the Hoover Dam for further instructions regarding the situation in Freeside.|
|8|| ||Go to the Kings' School of Impersonation and deliver an ultimatum to the King, backed by a squad of NCR troopers.|
|9|| ||(Optional) Speak with Colonel Hsu in Camp McCarran for further instructions regarding the situation in Freeside.|
|10|| ||Go to the Kings' School of Impersonation and offer the King official NCR support if he ceases hostilities.|
|11|| ||Stop Pacer from ruining the deal between the King and the NCR.|
|12||Return to Ambassador Crocker and report that the King has accepted Colonel Hsu's pledge of NCR support.|
|13|| ||Help the NCR Troopers kill all the Kings.|
|14||Return to Ambassador Crocker and report that the Kings have been wiped out.|
- "There are two unused endings to King's Gambit. If the player gets the help of either Colonel Cassandra Moore or James Hsu, then Pacer will object and try to stage a coup. Dialogue was recorded for a further scene where the Courier could try to reason with him, and either talk him down with a speech challenge, convince the Kings to shoot him (the only path that can happen on the Hsu route in the finished game), or tell the soldiers to open fire on everyone (essentially what happens on the Moore path). This was presumably cut to make the two different choices more distinct and less redundant. I.e. The player is told Colonel Moore will not tolerate any bullshit, so it makes sense that involving her men leads to unavoidable tragedy for the Kings."
- In Chess, a King's Gambit is an opening strategy where a pawn is risked for a long term advantage.
- It was believed that Elvis Presley died of a drug-induced heart attack due to underlying heart problems, much like how Pacer dies if his drug stash is tampered with.
The stash may fail to spawn even if the conditions are met.
- prid 001205BC, enable. This will cause the stash to appear. To counter it, open the console (~) and type in:
- resetquest 0011f95b). Sometimes the conversation with Crocker fails to recognize quest completion. Apart from reloading to an earlier save, the player can use the reset command to re-set the quest (
- ↑ Spare Us the Cutter
|Act 1||Ain't That a Kick in the Head · Back in the Saddle · By a Campfire on the Trail · They Went That-a-Way · Ring-a-Ding-Ding!|
|Act 2||Wild Card (Wild Card: Ace in the Hole, Change in Management, You and What Army?, Side Bets, Finishing Touches) · The House Always Wins (I, II, III, IV, V, VI, VII, VIII) · Render Unto Caesar · Et Tumor, Brute? · Things That Go Boom · Kings' Gambit · For the Republic, Part 2 · You'll Know It When It Happens/Arizona Killer|
|Act 3||No Gods, No Masters · All or Nothing · Veni, Vidi, Vici · Eureka!|
|Other||Come Fly With Me · Crazy, Crazy, Crazy · Ghost Town Gunfight · Guess Who I Saw Today · Left My Heart · My Kind of Town · The Legend of the Star and A Valuable Lesson · Unfriendly Persuasion · Wheel of Fortune|
|Companion quests||ED-E My Love · For Auld Lang Syne · Heartache by the Number · I Could Make You Care · I Forgot to Remember to Forget · Nothin' But a Hound Dog · One For My Baby|
|Unmarked quests||A Bit of Slap and Tickle · Access Powers · All Fired Up! · Andy and Charlie · Arachnophobia · Arizona Scavenger · Barton the Fink · Bear Necessities · Big Winner (Atomic Wrangler, The Gomorrah, The Tops, Ultra-Luxe, Vikki & Vance) · Bounty Killer (I, II) · Brotherhood Bond (I, II) · Caching in at the Cove · Cajoling a Cudgel · Claws Mended · Claws Out · Dealing with Contreras · Defacing the Humble Stone · Democracy Inaction · Don't Poke at the Bear · Eddie's Emissary · Exhumin' Nature · Flogging a Dead Corpse · Friend of the Followers · Getting a Leg Up from Andy · Gland for Some Home Cooking · Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger · Hat's Entertainment · Help for Halford · Hidden Valley computer virus · Highway to the Danger Zone (I, II) · Honorary Rocketeer · I Love Bananas · Iron and Stealing · Keith's Caravan Charade · Laurifer Gladiator · Lenk's Bad Debts · Lily and Leo · Long-Term Care · Malleable Mini Boomer Minds · Maud's Muggers · Meeting an Equal · Missing a Few Missiles · Not Worth a Hill of Corn and Beans · Of Boomers and Education · Old School Ghoul · A Pair of Dead Desperados (I, II) · Papers, Please · Pistol Packing · Playing on the Old Joana · Poor Meat Never Makes Good Soup · Powder to the People · Power to the People · Proper Burial · Razzle Dazzle! · Reach for the Sky, Mister! · Rest and Resupply · Ringo's Caravan Rules · Rotface's Loose Lips · The Screams of Brahmin · Silus Treatment · Short-Term Treatment · Smooth-Talking Criminal · Strategic Nuclear Moose · Straus Calls · Strip Search · Saving (or Savaging) Sergeant Teddy · Stocking Up · Suits You, Sarah · A Team of Moronic Mercenaries · Team Spirit · The Thorn Mayhem · Thought for the Day · Tourist Traipse · Trudy's Radio Repair · A Trusted Aide · Useless Baubles or Fancy Trinkets? · We Must Stop Beating Like This · We Must Stop Meeting Like This (I, II, III, IV) · Wind-Brahmin Wrangler · You Gotta Break Out a Few Eggs · You Make Me Feel Like a Woman|
| Cut quests||Auto-Inject Quest · Bright and Shiny · Chip Provenance · Debug Topics · Jailhouse Rock · Meat of Champions (quest) · TempMan · The Thorn Mayhem · Underpass Water Purifier · Viva Las Vegas! · Welcome to Fabulous New Vegas|