The infobox template in this article is missing some required data. You can help The Vault
by filling it in
A template in this article or section is missing some data. You can help The Vault
by filling it in
This article has missing audio files. You can help The Vault
Malcolm Holmes is retired trader living in the Mojave Wasteland in 2281.
Malcolm Holmes used to collect star bottle caps to get the treasure that's hidden in the Sunset Sarsaparilla Headquarters building. He claims to have retired from collecting the caps, but if you pickpocket him (or kill him), you can find a few star bottle caps in his inventory, suggesting that he might be lying.
 Interactions with the player character
 Interactions overview
- Sells Weapons, apparel, aid
- The Legend of the Star: Sometime after the player has picked up their first star bottle cap, they will encounter a man who claims he has been following them. Holmes says he is a retired trader who noticed you had the same interest in the bottle caps that he collected long ago. He also mentions that if enough caps are collected, the treasure can be claimed from someone named Festus.
 Other interactions
- Malcolm Holmes also mentions that there are people willing to kill for the blue star caps, including someone called Allen Marks.
- After speaking with the player, Malcolm Holmes will walk directly to the Mojave Outpost. He will disappear from the game once he arrives there. Since he has 6 or 7 star caps on him, one should try pickpocketing or killing him after the conversation ends. There is no karma loss if killed in stealth mode.
- Malcolm claims he stopped collecting Sunset Sarsaparilla Stars a long time ago, yet he will still be in possession of 6 Stars. That simply might be all the Stars he found while he was collecting them.
- Malcolm is carrying the roving trader hat and roving trader outfit; both of which are valuable for players to increase their trade profit and pass Barter checks at the lower levels where one is likely to encounter Holmes.
- Malcolm seems to follow the player after a set amount time after you leave Goodsprings. Sometimes he can be encountered to follow you in Yangtze Memorial and if you wait in Primm, you'll encounter him there as well. If you've waited 24 hours, your waiting will stop and he'll be there to talk to you.
- He will appear on the Scavenger Platform if you wait long enough. After talking to you he swims directly off, no matter if the water has been cleared of Lakelurks or not.
 Notable quotes
- "Hello there. It's good to see a friendly face. Almost took you for a raider, I did. Name's Malcolm. Malcolm Holmes."
- "Nah, I gave it up years ago. Too dangerous. And even if I did still collect them, I'd tell you the same. There's people out there so mad with the idea of treasure that they'll attack strangers just on the suspicion that they have some of the caps."
Malcolm Holmes appears only in Fallout: New Vegas.