The infobox template in this article is missing some required data. You can help The Vault by filling it in.
A template in this article or section is missing some data. You can help The Vault by filling it in.
This article has missing audio files. You can help The Vault by uploading them.
Motor-Runner, without his helmet
Dinnertime, boys!”— Motor-Runner
Motor-Runner is described as being the sanest of the Fiends and infamous for taking the heads of people he has killed. Motor-Runner is able to control the band of deranged, chemed psychotics and organize them into a credible fighting force. Even establishing a base of operations out of Vault 3. Both to keep the Fiends out of Westside (lest straining relations with the Great Khans and avoiding Mean Sonofabitch) and to give them some roots. The NCR thought that they had killed him many times, which prompted Colonel James Hsu to give Bryce Anders the mission of killing the Fiend leader personally and destabilize the Fiends. He can be found in his 'throne room' in the Vault 3 maintenance wing flanked by his two guard dogs, BoneGnash and GhashBone.
Interactions with the player character
|This character is involved in quests.|
- Aba Daba Honeymoon: The player is told to deliver some drugs to Motor-Runner for Diane.
- Bounty Killer: The player is ordered by James Hsu or Bryce Anders to kill Motor-Runner.
- The Courier can sell him various drugs (Jet, Psycho, etc.) for 20 caps (or 22 caps, if the player passes the barter check) if you pass a speech check at the entrance of Vault 3 when speaking to the Fiend at the door. 22 caps is more than the player will ever be able to receive from selling drugs valued at 20, with the exception of one instance involving Ricky.
- If the player kill him and bring back his helmet to Colonel Hsu you get an extra speech option and you will receive additional reputation with NCR.
|44-56 Bottle caps|
|No additional items|
- You can get an infinite amount of Motor-Runner's helmets by following these lines in order.
"The NCR sent me here to take care of you." "I was thinking we could make an arrangement." "I could just tell them you are dead. For a price." "I'll pay you, I'm sure I can make up the difference from NCR." "The NCR is leaving you alone, 150 seems like a small price to pay."
- If you passed the speech check in the very beginning, then sell several drugs to him, then choose to follow the Colonel's orders, it is possible to kill him without going into sneak mode or even causing him to attack you.
- Killing Motor-Runner is one of the few ways to obtain a chainsaw in Fallout: New Vegas.
- Motor-Runner has the unique perk Motor Runner's Buff, which grants him 20% DR in addition to the 5 DT he receives from his armor and helmet. It also grants him +10 damage on all melee attacks. This unique perk is similar to the effects of the drug slasher.
- If you kill Motor-Runner while the Fiends are hostile they will no longer attack unless provoked. This may be because they are lost without a leader and don't know what to do.
Motor-Runner appears only in Fallout: New Vegas.
- If you saved in front of him and asking for his helmet for the first time, reloading your save-game after he gave to you, sometimes you will see Motor-Runner without his helmet. This bug can be fixed reloading again.
- If you try to kill him reverse-pickpocketing a live mine/granade the game will freeze (PS3)
- Even if you ask him for his helmet every time, you will never give him caps. So enjoy having the helmets for free.
- Another bug appears to be if you have more than 1 Motor-Runner's helmet in your inventory. The dialog about Motor-Runner death for Colonel Hsu will not appear. This bug can be fixed using SetQuestObject 000F3797 0, by dropping all the helmets and let only one to be in your inventory. After finishing the quest, you can take them back.
- Trying to sell ALL of your jet/Buffout/Psycho from your personal stash to Motor-Runner might not work (option is available, but nothing happens). Selling single doses of jet/Buffout/Psycho still works, though. Possible reason for this: you might have stolen chems from the Vault 3 Fiends. Since you cannot sell items to the faction you stole it from this option doesn't work. It could also be possible that there is a problem with the player carrying "Dixon's jet" which is bought in Freeside. Tested on Xbox, the "sell All" options don't work regardless.
- If you are able to unload your chems on him, be aware that you can't simply pick them back up off his body after killing him. Similarly, the caps he had available for buying your chems do not appear on his body if you choose not to sell to him. Plan accordingly.
- If you exhaust all dialog options before approaching him for the Aba Daba Honeymoon he may have no dialog and simply respond like any other fiend in the vault rendering the quest incompletable.
- Even if you ask him to give you caps with a high Speech skill, he still rejects the offer.
Motor-Runner, wielding a chainsaw
- The Courier: "Why did you move the Fiends into this Vault?"
Motor-Runner: "We needed some place to put down some roots. I was having trouble keeping my people out of Westside."
- The Courier: "What's going on in Westside?"
Motor-Runner: "I try to keep my people out of Westside. Apart from trying to stay on good terms with the Khans, who do business there. There's Mean Son of A Bitch. That fucking mutant is more trouble to kill than to avoid. Having someplace for my people to sleep reduces the chances of drifting into Westside."
- The Courier: "Motor-runner is dead. I brought his helmet as proof."
James Hsu: "Unbelievable. That man has given us so much grief since we set up here. This may be a major turning point for us. I can't tell you how many times we thought we'd taken him out, only to have him show up again later, taking more heads off of fallen troopers. This is for the bounty. And this is from a pool me and a lot of the soldiers around the base had going. You may not be NCR, but hey, it's only fair."
(James Hsu's dialogue)
- The Courier: "Who are the Fiends?"
The Courier: "The Fiends?"
James Hsu: "As in chem fiends. Biggest gang of raiders I've ever seen. Nothing like addiction to swell your numbers. Psychotic, and completely unpredictable. They've set up shop in Vault 3 to the west. Every day they attack our positions and my men repel them. But every day there's more of them and less of us. I sent one of my rangers after their leader to try and destabilize them. He didn't return. Hell of a thing, losing a ranger. You come to depend on them. And they come through for you so often, you forget it can happen."
The Courier: "I'll go to Vault 3 and see if I can find your ranger."
James Hsu: "That Vault is a hornet's nest. If you have second thoughts, no one would think less of you for it. But if you can get him home, it'd mean a lot. Watch for civilians, too. The Fiends have been kidnapping locals. They just walk right into people's homes in the middle of the day and take them. But the man you're looking for is Bryce Anders. Anders was trying to find the leader, Motor-runner. You hear something like a chainsaw, you've found Motor-runner. Put a bullet in his head, and you'll have some new friends around here."
(James Hsu's dialogue)