Fallout: New Vegas locations project
Reputation image from Fallout: New Vegas.
Novac? Nice enough place, I guess, but just between you and me, when I rolled into town, my skin started to itch. Watch yourself.”— Victor, Fallout: New Vegas
The faded, cracked concrete and peeling buildings give the impression of depression; and indeed, Novac is little more than a lonely desert highway motel with multiple buildings that have been fortified for the protection of its inhabitants. While Novac is a stopping point on Highway 95 for caravans and travelers on their way to the New Vegas to the north, the town's economy is based primarily on the collection of scrap from the nearby REPCONN test site. A number of disassembled rockets can be seen around the town as evidence of these scavenging efforts.
Watching over the town's residents is the landmark of the area: a giant fabricated tyrannosaurus rex biting off the top of "The World's 2nd Largest Thermometer". The interior of "Dinky the T-Rex" also serves as the city center (a converted gift shop from pre-War times, with a sniper's nest in Dinky's mouth). Dinky is the "attraction" that drew in tourists. Some of the locals are friendly folk, though most aren't trusting of outsiders. They appreciate the protection of the NCR, but are afraid of what's going on at the REPCONN Aerospace rocket plant up the road. The local law, Ranger Andy, is unable to investigate due to an injury.
Novac consists of a residential area with several houses, including Jeannie May Crawford's house, the McBride house, No-bark's shack, and two houses with Novac settlers living in them. There are three bungalows inside the motel compound as well, where Ranger Andy and Cliff Briscoe live.
The main part of Novac is the Dino Dee-lite Motel area. Here you can find the Dino-Bite Gift Shop, eight motel rooms, and the Dino Dee-lite front desk, where you can buy a motel room for 100 caps from Jeannie May Crawford. Alternatively, she will give you a room free of charge once you attain Accepted status in Novac. Cliff Briscoe will give this room instead if Jeannie May Crawford dies during the quest One for My Baby. The Dino Dee-Lite motel room you can acquire is located up the stairs on the immediate left after entering the motel compound. Inside is a bed and storage facilities that are safe to store your items in.
Across the street (to the south) from the motel is a gas station with some spare parts, a workbench and a reloading bench. These are all tagged as 'owned' so looting them will be classed as 'stealing' and will attract the usual hit to your reputation etc. Behind the motel (to the west), there are two graves beside a burnt out and boarded up bungalow. To the south west of the motel there is a kitchen tent where the wandering Dr. Ada Straus and her entourage stop and rest sometimes. Down hill (further west) from the grave site is a shanty that contains a usable workbench.
- A D.C. Journal of Internal Medicine can be found on the bed in Ranger Andy's Room but must be stolen.
- That Gun can be purchased from Cliff Briscoe at the Dino Bite Gift Shop, or it can be stolen from the locked storeroom behind the counter, where it is stored on a metal shelf behind all the rocket souvenirs.
- A Sunset Sarsaparilla star bottle cap is in the kitchen of a house called "Novac House" northeast of Jeannie May Crawford's house. The bottle cap is in the kitchen on the table to the left as the player enters.
- Another Sunset Sarsaparilla star bottle cap can be found in Daisy Whitman's room, the right-most motel room on the second floor. The cap is marked as owned, so taking it will count as stealing and result in a loss of karma.
- Novac's name is derived from the motel's "No vacancy" sign, on which all but the first five letters have fallen off the sign, so No Vacancy becomes NoVac. This way of naming a town is similar to Arefu from Fallout 3.
- The motel sign that says "No Vac" on it can also be seen in the New Vegas Strip, but with all of the letters functioning and on a pole.
- There is a poster for the Museum of Technology in Bruce Isaac's motel room.
- The two closest campfires are located in a cave west of the water tower up on the hillside and Gibson's shack north and a little west behind Gibson scrap yard.
- A dead raider can sometimes be found on the far side of the bridge that is just outside of the town's east exit. This is one of the few raiders that is not a member of any group such as the Fiends or Great Khans.
Novac appears only in Fallout: New Vegas.
Behind the scenes
- Unlike most other towns in the Mojave, Novac has no real-world equivalent. There is a road crossing at US 95 and NV-165 (the road to the real-world location of Nelson, where Novac would be if it existed), but there is nothing at all there in the real world. However, it has many similarities with Baker, home of the world's largest thermometer, and clearly takes some inspiration from Claude Bell's Dinosaurs.
- Novac was the first cell developers constructed because it's more advantageous to not build tutorials around areas that you're going to end up scrapping in the end, and due to game engine fluctuations.
- Novac's script was written by Eric Fenstermaker.
- Caravan cards will cause the game to freeze. There is a traveling merchant around the dinosaur statue, attempting to buy all her
- If you push Manny Vargas or Boone onto the teeth of the dinosaur and then do a Ranger Takedown on him, he will fall off of the dinosaur, and then fly back up, creating humorous results.
-  After the 1.6 patch, sections of the motel will not load properly, leaving working doors hanging in empty space.
- There is sometimes a tumbleweed in the middle of the road across from the Dino Dee-Lite lobby entrance that doesn't move and can't be picked up.
- Items stored in the player's hotel room, in the wardrobe & footlocker etc., can be lost with the original junk contents replacing them.
- Sometimes the three bungalows wil have a blue outlining to them and are completely blue where the bricks are missing on all three of the bungalows
- The free storage room given to you at the Dino Dee-lite Motel can sometimes become bugged. Trying to enter it will cause your game to freeze.needs verification
- Buying the key to the storage room in the dinosaur statue's gift shop and collecting the rocket souvenirs inside may cause your game to freeze. It may also cause previous saved game files to become corrupt. You may have to start a new game. It is recommended to buy the rockets individually.needs verification
- The Courier: "What do you need?"
Manny Vargas: "Novac, it's home for me now. I want that to be for good. I like it here, and I've left too many homes behind. But the only resource we got here is junk. Without that, people wouldn't have anything to trade. They'd all have to leave. We get most of it up the road from the old rocket test site. But a bunch of ghouls showed up one day and took it over. We can't get in there now."
(Manny Vargas' dialogue)
- Fallout: New Vegas endings#Slide 21: Novac: 6 "While the destruction of the REPCONN rockets appeared to be a boon to the salvagers of Novac, the benefit would never be realized. Radioactive fuel from the wrecked ships seeped out and contaminated the area. Salvagers were forced to move on, and the town was abandoned." Note: Complete Come Fly With Me by sabotaging the rockets.
- baby goat: nevada/utah/colorado/wyoming/montana trip '09: the post
- JE Sawyer on Formspring
- JE Sawyer on Formspring
- Shown on YouTube