Oh My Papa
Oh My Papa
Regis, Papa Khan and Karl sitting at the table
Quick walkthrough[edit | edit source]
New California Republic[edit | edit source]
- Speak with Colonel Moore at Hoover Dam.
- Wipe them out, or decide to take a more diplomatic approach by doing this quest.
Independent/Yes Man[edit | edit source]
- Go to Red Rock Canyon and make contact with the Great Khans.
- Either ignore the Khans, destroy them or take the diplomatic approach.
Detailed walkthrough[edit | edit source]
Travel to the Great Khans' base in Red Rock Canyon in the northwest of the Mojave and enter the Great Khan longhouse, which is up a cliff on the right. During the daytime you will see Regis, Papa Khan and Karl sitting and eating behind a long table. Talk to the man in the center, Papa Khan. Exhaust all dialogue options. You will learn that the Khans have an alliance with Caesar's Legion. The Courier's orders are to destroy the Khans if they are allied with the Legion. You can do this, but there are also several alternatives.
Assassination[edit | edit source]
After speaking with Papa Khan and confirming the Great Khans alliance with Caesar's Legion, return to Colonel Moore. She will give the order to assassinate Papa Khan. Accepting this order is the quickest way to complete the quest, but you can also choose a more diplomatic approach without become locked into assassinating Papa Khan.
Return to the longhouse and kill Papa Khan. The causes all those present in the longhouse to become hostile and open fire; this includes Regis, Karl, and about five more Great Khans. When you exit the longhouse, all other Great Khans in the camp will be hostile. Return to Colonel Moore and tell her that the Khans will no longer be a problem.
Diplomacy[edit | edit source]
For those that choose to approach the situation diplomatically, exhaust all the dialogue options with Regis and Karl. After exiting the longhouse, there will be a forced conversation with Regis. He will tell you that you can't convince Papa Khan just by yourself, but instead you need to obtain the support of his four advisers (including Regis, Jack, Diane and Melissa) while also discrediting Karl.
Papa's advisors[edit | edit source]
Talk to Regis again, and he will tell you that he supports the breaking of the alliance with Caesar's Legion.
To obtain Jack and Diane's trust, you only need to convince one of them, and the other will follow in suit. They are located north of the main camp, through the canyon at the Red Rock drug lab. Either pass a Speech check of 60 with Jack, or talk to Diane to start the quest Aba Daba Honeymoon. This quest involves running several errands for her. After completing the Speech check or all of Diane's errands, they pledge their support of severing ties to Caesar's Legion.
To obtain Melissa's trust, simply visit her at the Great Khan encampment near Quarry Junction. After telling her that women aren't allowed to serve in the Legion and the best she can achieve is an officer's wife, she will be disgusted and agree to convince Papa Khan to sever the alliance.
Ousting Karl[edit | edit source]
After gaining the help of Papa's advisers, one must find a way to disgrace Karl in front of Papa Khan. This can be accomplished by telling Papa Khan about Karl's journal, which can be found in the footlocker in his room in the longhouse or his Legion slave ledger in Caesar's tent at The Fort.
Alternatively, with Speech of 75, you can provoke Karl through dialogue into revealing his true feelings about the Khans. Do this while inside the Great Khan longhouse, with Papa Khan also present. Either way, the Great Khans will proceed to kill Karl.
Convince Papa Khan[edit | edit source]
When you speak to Papa Khan after convincing the other Great Khans, you can pass one of two 75 Speech checks to convince him to break the alliance with Caesar's Legion.
Choosing the first speech check ("claim your own glory") will have the Khans fleeing Red Rock Canyon during the Battle of Hoover Dam (yielding Great Khans fame). The second speech check ("ghosts and martyrs") will prompt them to perform a suicide attack on the Legion at Hoover Dam.
If you can't pass the speech check, the third dialog choice regarding past inspiration sends you to the Followers. Julie Farkas at the Old Mormon Fort will point you toward a Follower named Ezekiel, who is located at 188 trading post. Ask him about the Khans and he will give you a history book, Pretty Pretty Horsies: A History of the Mongol Empire. If you deliver this book to Papa Khan with the kinder top dialogue choice, the Khans will flee the canyon during the battle (and your reputation with them will increase); delivering the book with the meaner dialog choice leads to the Khans' suicide mission.
Notes[edit | edit source]
- If you assassinate Papa Khan, and haven't yet completed Why Can't We Be Friends, you will instantly fail it.
- If you use Speech checks to disgrace Karl instead telling Papa Khan about the journal, you will be unable to use his journal as evidence to gain Regis' support. In that case you have to use the slave ledger to persuade Regis.
- If, at the end of the quest, you ask Papa Khan to ally with NCR and then tell him to stick around, the quest will remain open for you to solve via talking to Regis/Colonel Moore and assassinating Papa Khan.
- If all the commanders in Forlorn Hope are assassinated for the quest We Are Legion, Papa Khan will inform you that upon his death the player will become the new chief. Killing Papa stealthily when he goes to bed, allows you to be the new Papa Khan. Reporting to Regis and telling him whom the Khans are to ally with will result in Khan fame and completion of the quest.
- Halfway through the quest, you may be randomly attacked several times by two legionnaire recruits who say "Karl sends his regards" if you fast travel to and from the Red Rock Location. They hide behind rocks at the bottom of the hill to the longhouse.
Quest stages[edit | edit source]
|1||Talk to Colonel Moore about a Great Khans/NCR alliance.|
|2||Find Regis evidence that Caesar will annihilate the Great Khans.|
|3||Convince Jack and Diane to speak out against Caesar.|
|4||Convince Melissa to speak out against Caesar.|
|5||Return the Legion slave ledger to Regis.|
|6||Talk to Papa Khan about breaking the alliance.|
|7||Talk to Regis about the NCR.|
|8||(Optional) Find a way to disgrace Karl in front of Papa Khan.|
Behind the scenes[edit | edit source]
- The title of the quest is a reference to Eddie Calvert's 1954 instrumental O mein Papa. A well-known cover was made by Jim Nabors as Gomer Pyle.
Bugs[edit | edit source]
If you trigger the dialogue where Papa refuses to break the alliance with the Legion before this quest is started, the option will not come back, as it seems to be a one time dialogue option This locks the quest and is unable to be completed.
- resetquest 00140c3a will bring back all of the dialogue options needed to trigger Regis although some of them may still be "grayed out" cycling through all of them normally will allow the encounter with Regis outside of the longhouse. The console command
- A marker is not placed at Caesar's tent to get evidence for Regis, nor does obtaining Karl's journal complete the objective.
- Stealing Karl's Journal from his footlocker and then killing him will disable you from using it as evidence against the Legion for Regis, making the slave ledger in Caesar's tent the only usable proof you can use.
- For the Republic, Part 2" will update to inform you that you've killed the Khans even though none are dead. This will likewise happen if you convince Papa Khan not to side with the Legion while Karl is still in their good graces, as they will again kill him. To avoid this bug, steal Karl's journal (it's in the footlocker in the furthest room from the table) and show it to Papa Khan. Karl will die, but the quest will proceed as normal. If you use Speech checks to get Karl to reveal his true feelings about the Khans, resulting in his death, "
- If Julie Farkas somehow ends up dead, the quest will be impossible to complete via the book, even if you head to Trading Post 188 and kill Ezekiel for the book. The only way around this is to convince Papa via the speech option.
- Cottonwood Cove unnecessary. Offering to find proof of female enslavement for Diane will override Regis' quest target, so completing it will also meet his requirement. Convincing Jack through Speech afterward will get all three characters' support, making the trip to
- If the player convinces Papa Khan to break the Great Khan's allegiance to the Legion, random non-player character chatter after completing the quest will still talk about how the Great Khans were "destroyed" and "massacred," even though a peaceful solution was found.
- You may get the dialogue option to show Regis Karl's journal as evidence without actually finding it first.