Old School Ghoul
Old School Ghoul
Activating the quest
Raul Tejada, the ghoul handyman found captive at Black Mountain, must be the player's active companion when the player initiates dialogue with Ranger Andy in Novac, Corporal Sterling in Camp McCarran (or Camp Forlorn Hope) and Loyal at Nellis Air Force Base. There is no set order to which non-player character you approach first, but all three must be spoken to until their dialogue trees have been exhausted. At the end of each interaction, Raul will start a conversation with the player that revolves around both his observation of the characters and anecdotes about his history.
- Speak with Ranger Andy in Novac.
- Let Raul speak to the player about Ranger Andy. (He speaks when you leave the house)
- Travel to Camp McCarran or Camp Forlorn Hope and speak to Corporal Sterling.
- Let Raul speak to the player about Sterling.
- Travel to Nellis Air Force Base and speak to Loyal.
- Let Raul speak to the player about Loyal.
Note: The dialogue choices you make reflect Raul's decision, armor, new perk and ending, yet the issue where many players can't receive the final conversation even though they have gotten all three dialogs might actually be by design instead of a bug. If you choose neutral responses, it is possible that this is what causes the final conversation not to trigger, as Raul doesn't seem to make a decision at all. This is pure speculation at this point but seems to be the only viable answer to this issue of the final conversation not triggering.
Talk to Ranger Andy with Raul present. The key topics are what he does in Novac ("what do you do here?"), and what happened to his leg ("Did something happen to your leg?" or "What happened?"). Raul must hear these answers, so you may need to repeat dialog you've already had with Andy. After this, leave the Andy's bungalow and wait a few seconds for Raul to run up to you and talk. Raul will initiate a dialogue concerning the player's opinion of Ranger Andy's place as a crippled, older man in a harsh world. The choices made by the player will influence which way Raul decides to proceed at the end of the quest ultimately affecting the player's reward. The player has an opportunity to hear part of Raul's story but may skip this portion of the dialogue at no penalty.
The player must then travel to either Camp McCarran or Camp Forlorn Hope depending on the completion status of the quest Three-Card Bounty. The player must speak with Corporal Sterling, an NCR 1st Recon sniper stationed with the rest of his squad at Camp McCarran, defending the region against Fiends. If the bounties have all already been turned in to Major Dhatri during the quest "Three-Card Bounty", his squad will have been reassigned to Camp Forlorn Hope. After initiating and ending conversation with Sterling, Raul will initiate a dialogue similar to the one held after learning from Ranger Andy.
Upon completion of the first conversation, the player must travel to Nellis Air Force Base and initiate a similar conversation with Loyal. He can typically be found in either his own house or the hangar housing the bomber. After ending the conversation, Raul will initiate a final conversation wherein he ties the stories of the three men the player has met thus far to his own story. He will decide to either return to his gun slinging vaquero ways or relegate himself to a quieter life of machine (and armament) maintenance. The decision at which he will arrive is influenced entirely by the player's dialogue responses during the progression of this quest. However, the player has the opportunity to sway him to the other alternative with a Speech skill of 66.
After completing the final dialogue, Raul will receive an upgraded perk. The Old Vaquero perk is granted if the player convinced him to return to the ways of his gun slinging past; it increases his fire rate by 33%. The Full Maintenance perk is granted if the player urged him to contribute in other ways increasing the reduction in weapon degradation that he provides from 50% to 75%. If Raul upgrades to the Old Vaquero perk, he continues to provide the Regular Maintenance perk. His outfit will also change to the Vaquero outfit or the Armored Petró-Chico outfit appropriately.
- The non-player characters can be talked to in any order.
- If Raul doesn't come to talk to you after speaking with one of the people, try leaving the location of the person you had talked to and Raul will talk to you have the men later.
- For some reason Ranger Andy will not engage in dialog at all even though the HUD will zoom in to make it seem you will be able to but will then automatically zoom back out making it impossible to talk to Ranger Andy.
- Driver Nephi and letting the rangers kill him: player.placeleveledactoratme 000f56ff. You will unable to talk with Corporal Sterling. He only replies with a generic line without opening dialogue if he is stationed at Camp Forlorn Hope. This may be fixed by spawning
- For yet unknown reasons it is possible that talking to Ranger Andy in Novac does not trigger Raul to speak to the player, making it impossible to start the quest even if you have not learned Ranger Takedown prior to having Raul with you.
- Patch 1.02 it is now possible to initiate the quest by talking to Ranger Andy after learning the Ranger Takedown Move, though you must still have Raul as a companion at the time. After
- Volare!, when he thanks you for making his dreams a reality; must not initiate the side-quest I Don't Hurt Anymore AND talk to Corporal Sterling; and must not talk to Ranger Andy prior to having Raul as a companion. After having Raul as a companion you can talk with Loyal, Corporal Sterling and Ranger Andy in whatever order you want, as long as these conditions are fulfilled. Raul doesn't start the final conversation after talked to all three characters and receiving all three relevant dialogues from Raul. To avoid this, the player must not talk to Loyal after completing the quest
- Quest name from Fallout: New Vegas Official Game Guide