The game takes place in the year 2161 on the West Coast of what used to be the United States of America, particularly in California. It begins in Vault 13, the protagonist's home. Vault 13's water chip, a computer chip responsible for the water recycling and pumping machinery, has broken. Armed with a PIPBoy 2000 and meager equipment, the protagonist is sent out into the remains of California to find another water chip.
- If you are new to wikis, you may want to check out the help pages and policies and guidelines.
- If you want to help but you are not sure where to start, try improving the various stub articles by expanding them. Another helpful activity would be to check the list of wanted pages for frequently linked-to articles that do not exist yet.
- If you want to experiment with editing a wiki, please do it in a sandbox, not in articles.
The first three games set in the Fallout world: Fallout, Fallout 2 and Fallout Tactics, all three of which were removed from Steam at the beginning of this year, when the rights to the titles were lost by Interplay and gained by Bethesda Softworks, have now returned to the Steam store.
- All three games have Steam Cloud enabled for save games.
- Fallout 1 & Fallout 2 can be launched in either default or classic versions. Default allows for high resolutions and Classic is the original, unmodified release.
- Fallout Tactics is unmodified. Multiplayer works with direct connect.
- While Fallout 1 and Fallout 2 can run on Windows 8, Fallout Tactics is not Windows 8 compatible.
Currently, there is no news on whether the games will return to other services, such as GOG.com.
Sadly, Fallout, Fallout 2 and Fallout Tactics have been removed from the GOG.com catalogue due to the settlement of the Bethesda vs. Interplay lawsuit. The rights to the classic games are now entirely owned by Bethesda. We're still hoping they might re-release them in the future! The games can still be downloaded if you purchased them before.
If you never played the classic Fallout games, now you have no excuse not to play them. GOG.com offers Fallout, Fallout 2, and Fallout Tactics completely free for the next 48 hours. All you need to do is register an account. Go!
Good news for all Fallout fans who play on Mac OS. GOG.com has added 12 Interplay titles Interplay games for Mac OS X which include Descent 1 and 2, Earthworm Jim 1 and 2, MDK, Battle Chess, and, of course, the original Fallout.
Fallout is available for $5.99 and will require Mac OS X version 10.6.8 or newer to run. If you already own the Windows version of the game, you can download the OS X version for free.
It is also said that Fallout 2 and other 19 Interplay games will get a free update to OS X once the Mac versions are ready.
If you're eager to get some old Interplay classics, make sure you don't miss the Pay What You Want sale we've reported recently.