Image needed (Factory Protectron)
This article or its infobox is missing an image. Please help The Vault by uploading it.
|This is an overview article which contains background information and cross-game comparisons. For game-specific information and stats, see the articles linked on the right.|
Created by the RobCo corporation, Protectron robots were designed (as their name suggests) for protection and security in both the private and business sectors, although Protectrons were designed for security, they can also be seen being used in menial and manual labor roles as well. Typically used in office settings, a large variety of available synthetic personalities and programming options made them universally useful. RobCo offered personalities like the R04 V9 "Office Helper" with the ability to process and track office protocols and agendas in real time , RobCo RS3 V4.1.6 "Utility Helper" with automatic routine download and pest extermination mode, RobCo RX2 V1.16.4 "Vault Helper", loaded with Vault protocols.
In Fallout 3, as well as in Fallout: New Vegas, protectrons are the second weakest robot variant encountered, with only the robobrain having less firepower. They do not pose much of a threat, due to their weaker weaponry and slow speeds. They are equipped with a hand-laser as well as a head-laser, so that in the event that one weapon is disabled, the protectron can still function in battle. They are not as common in Fallout: New Vegas as they are in Fallout 3: they are in every metro station in the latter, whereas in the former, they are mostly found patrolling a few office buildings and the Securitron vault.
 Metro protectron
Metro protectrons are a model of protectron found in Washington, D.C.'s metro stations that will ask for the player's metro ticket when activated, and the player's metro ticket will be removed from their inventory. If they do not happen to have a ticket in their inventory, the protectron will attack.
 Factory protectron
Factory protectrons are protectrons designed for use as manual labor inside of factories. Computer entries inside Sunset Sarsaparilla Headquarters in Fallout: New Vegas mention robots being shipped to the factory to replace the human workers. This is probably the case in Fallout 3 as well, and a few examples of these protectrons can be found inside The Mill in the Fallout 3 expansion The Pitt, although they are already deactivated.
 Shipping worker
Shipping workers are protectons found in the Sunset Sarsaparilla Headquarters. There are only two of them, and they can be found on the bottom floor of the factory with the bottle cap press machine.
 Sunset Sarsaparilla security
Sunset Sarsaparilla security are a slightly tougher variant of the protectron, of which three are still functioning, and can be found patrolling inside the Sunset Sarsaparilla Headquarters. Their function was to protect the factory, possibly against industrial espionage. Several disabled models can also be found within the factory and scavenged for parts.
 Protectron Mark series
The protectron Mark series was an attempt by scientists in Big MT to improve on the base model of protectron built by RobCo. These protectrons come in six versions, Marks I-VI. Mark I is on par with the protectrons found in the Sunset Sarsaparilla Headquarters, while the other marks are scaled on increasing durability based on the players level. However, the firepower on each Mark series is the same.
- Protectrons view things with three photo sensors.
- A Protectron's fission battery is located past its access panel.
 Behind the scenes
Concept art by Adam Adamowicz
- ↑ Fallout: New Vegas loading screen hints: "The sturdy Protectron model of robot was created before the great war, and served as a security automaton in both the private and business sectors."
- ↑ OfficeRobotTalk: "Loading Personality: RobCo R04 V9 "Office Helper"..."
- ↑ OfficeRobotTalk: "Running default office protocol...ERROR. Loading daily agenda...ERROR." et al
- ↑ UtilityRobotTalk: "Loading Personality: RobCo RS3 V4.1.6 "Utility Helper"..."
- ↑ UtilityRobotTalk: "Receiving Sewer Maintenance Routine. Please Hold. Link Terminated."
- ↑ UtilityRobotTalk: "Critter of unusual size detected. Running Program: Extermination."
- ↑ VaultRobotTalk: "Loading Personality: RobCo RX2 V1.16.4 "Vault Helper"..."
- ↑ VaultRobotTalk: "Remote start activated, loading Vault protocols. Please hold."
- ↑ Primm Slim: "Have you gone loco, partner? I can see the gun with my own three photo sensors from where I'm standing right now."
- ↑ Butcher: "When we passed the maintenance room, I spied a deactivated Protectron inside. Just wrench open its access panel and you'll find it."