Render Unto Caesar is a main quest in Fallout: New Vegas.
Matthew 22:21 of the Bible instructs those to "render unto Caesar the things that are Caesar's"; as Caesar sees it, the Mojave shall be rendered unto him after he allies with or destroys certain tribes around New Vegas.
- Travel to Cottonwood Cove and use the mark of Caesar to take the ferry to Fortification Hill.
- Meet Caesar in his tent atop The Fort and hear his requests.
- Destroy the Securitron vault beneath the weather monitoring station toward the back of the camp. There are three generators in the vault that can be shot to be destroyed; destroying them will in turn cause the vault to go into meltdown and explode.
- Kill Mr. House at the Lucky 38 penthouse.
- Enter Mr. House's control chamber by accessing using the terminal near the back of the penthouse: this can be done with a Science skill of 75 and hacking the terminal; by using the Lucky 38 VIP keycard found in the H&H Tool Factory or Camp Golf; or by using the Platinum Chip.
- Ally the Legion with the Boomers. This can be done by completing Volare! and asking Mother Pearl to ally with Caesar's Legion.
- Ally the Legion with the White Glove Society at the Ultra-Luxe on the New Vegas Strip
- The White Glove Society does not initially seek an alliance with Caesar. He can be told this and he will ignore the group.
- Alternatively, the White Gloves will solidify their allegiance to Caesar if Marjorie and Mortimer are spoken too after completing Beyond the Beef and reverting the White Gloves back to cannibalism.
- Destroy the Brotherhood of Steel. One can do this by either choosing to kill every member conventionally; by hacking Paladin Ramos' security terminal (Science of 75 required) and setting the bunker turrets to target Brotherhood members; or by getting the three keycards from Elder McNamara, Head Paladin Hardin and Head Scribe Taggart to initiate the bunker's self-destruct sequence.
- See to Caesar's illness. See Et Tumor, Brute for more detail.
- Assassinate President Aaron Kimball. See Arizona Killer for more detail.
|1|| ||Travel to Cottonwood Cove and take the barge up the river to the fort.|
|2|| ||Speak with Caesar|
|3|| ||Accept Caesar's first task|
|4|| ||Demolish Mr. House's bunker under the weather station|
|5|| ||Return to Caesar|
|6|| ||Kill Mr. House|
|7|| ||Return to Caesar and report that Mr. House has been neutralized.|
|8|| ||Earn the trust of the Boomers and forge an alliance between them and the Legion.|
|9|| ||(optional) Kill the Boomer leadership to neutralize the Boomers as a threat to the Legion|
|10|| ||Inform Caesar that the Boomers will support the Legions against the NCR.|
|11|| ||(If you killed the Boomer leaders) Inform Caesar that the Boomers have been neutralized as a threat.|
|12|| ||Bring the Legion's offer of alliance to Marjorie of the White Glove Society|
|13|| ||Bring the Legion's offer of alliance to Mortimer of the White Glove Society|
|14|| ||Inform Caesar that the White Glove Society won't support the Legion.|
|15|| ||Destroy the Brotherhood of Steel's bunker.|
|16|| ||Tell Caesar that the Brotherhood of Steel threat has been neutralized.|
|17|| ||Meet with Caesar for a private conversation|
|18|| ||Speak with Caesar once he's been cured to find out your next task.|
|19|| ||Return to Caesar to be recognized for your service|
|20||Report to Legate Lanius to begin the Battle for Hoover Dam|
- Upon receiving this quest, depending on your progress so far, you should have received invitations to the three main factions quests and you will have to make decisions as to which you will support. Proceeding too far down this questline will prevent you from completing the others. For more details see Ring-a-Ding-Ding!.
- Destroying the generators will cause you to fail The House Always Wins.
- If you become vilified by the Legion at any point during this quest, it will fail and the unmarked quest Beware the Wrath of Caesar! will start.
- The Courier has the option to tell Caesar off by saying "I am done working for you." Caesar will give them a stern warning. If they choose that dialogue a second time, everyone in the tent will become hostile.
The name of this quest refers to a Gospel story in which Jesus Christ is asked whether or not the Jews should have to pay taxes to their Roman rulers. Jesus responds by asking whose image is on the denarius. His challenger replies "Caesar's", thus admitting that the Jews are, after all, using Roman money. Christ then instructs the crowd to "render unto Caesar what is Caesar's and unto God what is God's."
- Beyond the Beef by stopping Mortimer's plans before accepting the White Glove Society portion of this quest may render it unable to be completed. Dialogue to Caesar will not include an option to indicate the White Glove Society will not revert to cannibalism, and speaking to Marjorie will direct you to speak to the dead or missing Mortimer.
- Ted Gunderson and converting the White Gloves to cannibalism, the dialog options for Mortimer will close. However the quest will sometimes still direct the player to talk with Mortimer about converting the White Gloves to cannibalism. If they were converted to cannibalism, this glitch is irrelevant and the quest will complete (if the other conditions are still met). After saving the
- The Legion remained hostile even after receiving the 'Mark of Caesar.' Equipping NCR armor, exiting the Pip-Boy screen, then removing the armor within Perception range of hostile Legion members worked to correct this.
|Act 1||Ain't That a Kick in the Head · Back in the Saddle · By a Campfire on the Trail · They Went That-a-Way · Ring-a-Ding-Ding!|
|Act 2||Wild Card (Wild Card: Ace in the Hole, Change in Management, You and What Army?, Side Bets, Finishing Touches) · The House Always Wins (I, II, III, IV, V, VI, VII, VIII) · Render Unto Caesar · Et Tumor, Brute? · Things That Go Boom · Kings' Gambit · For the Republic, Part 2 · You'll Know It When It Happens/Arizona Killer|
|Act 3||No Gods, No Masters · All or Nothing · Veni, Vidi, Vici · Eureka!|
|Other||Come Fly With Me · Crazy, Crazy, Crazy · Ghost Town Gunfight · Guess Who I Saw Today · Left My Heart · My Kind of Town · The Legend of the Star and A Valuable Lesson · Unfriendly Persuasion · Wheel of Fortune|
|Companion quests||ED-E My Love · For Auld Lang Syne · Heartache by the Number · I Could Make You Care · I Forgot to Remember to Forget · Nothin' But a Hound Dog · One For My Baby|
|Unmarked quests||A Bit of Slap and Tickle · Access Powers · All Fired Up! · Andy and Charlie · Arachnophobia · Arizona Scavenger · Barton the Fink · Bear Necessities · Big Winner (Atomic Wrangler, The Gomorrah, The Tops, Ultra-Luxe, Vikki & Vance) · Bounty Killer (I, II) · Brotherhood Bond (I, II) · Caching in at the Cove · Cajoling a Cudgel · Claws Mended · Claws Out · Dealing with Contreras · Defacing the Humble Stone · Democracy Inaction · Don't Poke at the Bear · Eddie's Emissary · Exhumin' Nature · Flogging a Dead Corpse · Friend of the Followers · Getting a Leg Up from Andy · Gland for Some Home Cooking · Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger · Hat's Entertainment · Help for Halford · Hidden Valley computer virus · Highway to the Danger Zone (I, II) · Honorary Rocketeer · I Love Bananas · Iron and Stealing · Keith's Caravan Charade · Laurifer Gladiator · Lenk's Bad Debts · Lily and Leo · Long-Term Care · Malleable Mini Boomer Minds · Maud's Muggers · Meeting an Equal · Missing a Few Missiles · Not Worth a Hill of Corn and Beans · Of Boomers and Education · Old School Ghoul · A Pair of Dead Desperados (I, II) · Papers, Please · Pistol Packing · Playing on the Old Joana · Poor Meat Never Makes Good Soup · Powder to the People · Power to the People · Proper Burial · Razzle Dazzle! · Reach for the Sky, Mister! · Rest and Resupply · Ringo's Caravan Rules · Rotface's Loose Lips · The Screams of Brahmin · Silus Treatment · Short-Term Treatment · Smooth-Talking Criminal · Strategic Nuclear Moose · Straus Calls · Strip Search · Saving (or Savaging) Sergeant Teddy · Stocking Up · Suits You, Sarah · A Team of Moronic Mercenaries · Team Spirit · The Thorn Mayhem · Thought for the Day · Tourist Traipse · Trudy's Radio Repair · A Trusted Aide · Useless Baubles or Fancy Trinkets? · We Must Stop Beating Like This · We Must Stop Meeting Like This (I, II, III, IV) · Wind-Brahmin Wrangler · You Gotta Break Out a Few Eggs · You Make Me Feel Like a Woman|
| Cut quests||Auto-Inject Quest · Bright and Shiny · Chip Provenance · Debug Topics · Jailhouse Rock · Meat of Champions (quest) · TempMan · The Thorn Mayhem · Underpass Water Purifier · Viva Las Vegas! · Welcome to Fabulous New Vegas|