Render Unto Caesar
Render Unto Caesar
- 1 Quick walkthrough
- 2 Detailed walkthrough
- 3 Journal entries
- 4 Notes
- 5 Behind the scenes
- 6 Bugs
- Meet Caesar in his tent atop The Fort
- Destroy the Securitron vault.
- Kill Mr. House
- Ally the Legion with the Boomers.
- Ally the Legion with the White Glove Society
- Destroy the Brotherhood of Steel.
- See to Caesar's illness.
- Assassinate President Aaron Kimball.
Travel to The Fort
Upon arriving at The Fort by way of Cottonwood Cove's ferry, the player will have their weapons removed (with the option to keep holdout weapons). All weapons will be returned upon leaving the camp. With a Speech of 35, the player can ask what items are banned, and keep aid/chems, saying they suffer a heart problem.
Travel to the top of the hill and enter Caesar's inner camp. Here you will find the Legion arena and, most notably, Caesar's tent. Enter the tent and talk to him. Caesar will tell the courier that there is a vault underneath the camp with the markings of the Lucky 38 Casino. He asks the player to enter the vault and destroy it. He then returns the platinum chip.
Destroy the Securitron vault
The vault is located within a concrete bunker behind Caesar's tent. Upon entering, a Legionnaire will return all of your confiscated items. Putting the Platinum Chip in the computer will provide subterranean access to the irradiated vault.
Once you are inside the vault, you will see a large screen on which Mr. House is displayed. In conversation he will tell you the purpose of the chip and of Victor's objectives before asking you to finish the job by upgrading the computer's security protocol. You can agree to cooperate or defy him. Either way, he will inform you that he has no control over the vault's defenses and that you'll have to fight your way to the computer.
Down the stairs you will encounter a hostile protectron, a door, and the rest of the path. Continue down the hall. In the next room, you will encounter automated turrets and protectrons. If you look through the windows on your left and right you will see Mr. House's army of Securitrons which if upgraded, will soon be operating on the Mk II OS.
The next room is protected by four protectrons. It is the generator room. Following Caesar's orders, destroy the three generators by shooting them. As they explode, the facility will destabilize and a superfluous amount of radiation will be released. This option will set off the facility's security system, which at this point should only consist of four sentry bots, unless you chose to disable or destroy them.
Go back and talk to Caesar. The player will then receive 500 XP and Legion fame.
Caesar tells you that he wants Mr. House killed, as simple as that. Make your way to the Lucky 38. If you blew up Mr. House's secret bunker, the Securitrons inside the building will all be hostile towards you (those outside are not affected). Kill or pass the one or two on the first level and use the elevator to go to the penthouse. There are five Securitrons in the main room of the penthouse and they will all be hostile toward you.
In the same area with Mr. House's big screen on the left there will be a computer tucked behind the stairs, use the computer to open the antechamber and there will be two more Securitrons waiting for you. If you are not hostile against Mr. House, opening the antechamber will turn the Securitrons against you.
On the wall in the antechamber next to a new door there will be another computer use this to access the elevator door next to it and take it down to the control room. Use yet another computer to crack open Mr. House's medical pod, ignoring the warning. Now talk to House and you are given three options: You can kill Mr. house outright (for Caesar or yourself), you can just disconnect him from the mainframe (with the same results as killing him, just with prolonged suffering), or you can put him back in his pod, however he will still remain hostile towards you because you have doomed him to death within a year from microbial infection. Regardless of your choice, you will receive 500 XP and your objectives will update.
Return to Caesar for 100 XP and more Legion fame.
Caesar wants you to get the Boomers to use their artillery cannons against the NCR when he attacks Hoover Dam. However, the problem lies in that the cannons blast anyone that gets close to their base. While heading to their base, George will stop you and offer information on how to get past the shells. You can use a speech check or pay him, but all it boils down to taking a left turn as soon as you see the houses and following the house line until you reach the end. Make a bee-line for the fence, and once you are close enough, enter the gate. Talk to the Boomers and follow directions until you complete the Boomer quest-line and have support from the tribe. After all this return to Caesar and let him know that the Boomers are on his side. There is also the (much quicker) option to kill the leaders of the Boomers (Pearl, Loyal and Jack) which will complete this part of the quest as well.
The White Glove Society
You must bring Caesar's offer of allegiance to the White Glove Society. After learning about the society by talking to Marjorie, then Mortimer, you can either tell Caesar they do not want his alliance (which ends this part of the quest) or go to Mortimer after talking to Marjorie and help revert the society to cannibalism (see Beyond the Beef). After finishing the quest, return to Mortimer two more times until you are informed the society is now cannibals and confirm your alliance by talking to Marjorie. If you choose to free Gunderson, you're going to have to find a replacement for the cannibals to eat, return him and confirm that the society is cannibals by talking to Mortimer and then Marjorie. Now return to Caesar with the news.
The Brotherhood of Steel
You must go to the Hidden Valley bunker and enter to destroy the Brotherhood of Steel in the area. If you have not interacted with the Brotherhood, you must go through an orientation by convincing a Ranger in an adjacent bunker to leave. If you warn the Ranger in any way about the Brotherhood, the Brotherhood will become hostile and enter the bunker to kill you. Due to the last portion causing Don't Tread on the Bear! to fail and the NCR to name you a terrorist, the Ranger will not talk to you and will be hostile, so you are going to have to kill him. The Brotherhood will confiscate your weapons, so it is recommended to carry some holdout weapons before entering. If you have Veronica as a companion, then you can move more freely in the bunker.
Destroying the bunker
Once you have access to the bunker, you need to steal three keycards from the three main personnel in order to get the password for the self-destruct sequence or have a Science skill of 100, at the same time you can look for a bunker key for your escape later on. It is suggested that you save before pickpocketing each character in order to avoid killing for the keycard if they catch you stealing. You need to go level L2 of the bunker, where you can find Elder McNamara, Head Paladin Hardin and Head Scribe Taggart. Head right, where you can find McNamara, who is the easiest to steal from and can be stolen as he is sitting in his chair. Hardin can be found to the left of this room in one of the three bedrooms. He will be in the room sleeping, standing, or on his computer. Crouch, wait until you are hidden and then steal his key card. Go back towards the door to L1 and go all the way up the left hallway this time. At the end is the self-destruct room, where you will also find Taggart.
Note: If you helped remove Elder McNamara in the quest Still in the Dark, the Head Paladin keycard can be found on Paladin Ramos.
Once you have all keycards, return to the room where Taggart is and obtain the password from the Override Code Generator terminal (green) next to the actual self-destruct terminal (blue). Now use the code on the self-destruct terminal to destroy the bunker and head out of the bunker.
After activating the self-destruct sequence with the password, you will become a villain in the eyes of the Brotherhood, so you will need to escape as soon as possible.
Preserving the bunker
Simply killing all of the Brotherhood of Steel in the bunker and the night patrol outside will satisfy this onjective. The quest will be updated and Caesar will act as though the bunker was destroyed.
Caesar explains he has frequent headaches and sometimes blackouts. He's convinced he has a brain tumor and he needs to find something that cures him of it.
President Kimball's assassination
NCR President Aaron Kimball is making a speech at Hoover Dam, and Caesar wants you to conspire with Cato Hostilius to plot his assassination. Travel to Hoover Dam and kill President Kimball in any way possible. Failing the Arizona Killer quest will still allow you to complete Render Unto Caesar. Afterward, you will transported to the Legate's camp to speak with Legate Lanius.
|1||Travel to Cottonwood Cove and take the barge up the river to the fort.|
|2||Speak with Caesar|
|3||Accept Caesar's first task|
|4||Demolish Mr. House's bunker under the weather station|
|5||Return to Caesar|
|6||Kill Mr. House|
|7||Return to Caesar and report that Mr. House has been neutralized.|
|8||Earn the trust of the Boomers and forge an alliance between them and the Legion.|
|9||(optional) Kill the Boomer leadership to neutralize the Boomers as a threat to the Legion|
|10||Inform Caesar that the Boomers will support the Legions against the NCR.|
|11||(If you killed the Boomer leaders) Inform Caesar that the Boomers have been neutralized as a threat.|
|12||Bring the Legion's offer of alliance to Marjorie of the White Glove Society|
|13||Bring the Legion's offer of alliance to Mortimer of the White Glove Society|
|14||Inform Caesar that the White Glove Society won't support the Legion.|
|15||Destroy the Brotherhood of Steel's bunker.|
|16||Tell Caesar that the Brotherhood of Steel threat has been neutralized.|
|17||Meet with Caesar for a private conversation|
|18||Speak with Caesar once he's been cured to find out your next task.|
|19||Return to Caesar to be recognized for your service|
|20||Report to Legate Lanius to begin the Battle for Hoover Dam|
- Upon receiving this quest, depending on your progress so far, you should have received invitations to the three main factions quests and you will have to make decisions as to which you will support. Proceeding too far down this questline will prevent you from completing the others. For more details see Ring-a-Ding-Ding!.
- This quest will begin once you exit the Tops Casino after completing Ring-a-Ding-Ding!. Vulpes Inculta will approach you and inform you that Caesar wishes to meet with you. If you previously killed Vulpes Inculta at Nipton, Alerio will be there in his place. Either way, he (Vulpes or the representative) will give you the Mark of Caesar, which allows you to safely travel through Legion territory. This is essential if you have a poor reputation with Caesar's Legion. He will also mark Cottonwood Cove on your map.
- Destroying the generators will cause you to fail The House Always Wins.
- Regardless of whether or not you complete Caesar's quests or massacre the entire Fort, your non-concealed weapons will be returned to you if you take the transport back to Cottonwood Cove.
- The timing of this quest and "The House Always Wins I" can be tricky. If you speak to House again after getting this quest and advance "The House Always Wins I." You will find your Caesar's Legion neutrality voided (even though you still have the Mark of Caesar.) Cursor Lucullus (the Ferryman) will be hostile as well as all the troops at the fort. If you return to House and give him the chip without having used it to first open the bunker; and without killing Caesar and the troops at the fort, Mr. House's dialog will not have the branch allowing you to take up his challenge to return to the fort with the chip.
- If you become vilified by the Legion at any point during this quest, it will fail and the free quest Beware the Wrath of Caesar! will start.
- The player has the option to tell Caesar off by saying "I am done working for you." Caesar will give you a stern warning. If you choose that dialogue a second time, everyone in the tent will become hostile.
Behind the scenes
The name of this quest refers to a Gospel story in which Jesus is asked whether or not the Jews should have to pay taxes to their Roman rulers. Jesus responds by asking whose image is on the denarius. His challenger replies "Caesar's", thus admitting that the Jews are, after all, using Roman money. Jesus then instructs the crowd to "render unto Caesar what is Caesar's and unto God what is God's."
- Marjorie will direct you to speak to the dead or missing Mortimer.
Completing '[Beyond the Beef]] by stopping Mortimer's plans before accepting the White Glove Society portion of this quest may render it unable to be completed. Dialogue to Caesar will not include an option to indicate the White Glove Society will not revert to cannibalism, and speaking to
- Mortimer about converting the White Gloves to cannibalism. If they were converted to cannibalism, this glitch is irrelevant and the quest will complete (if the other conditions are still met). After saving the Gunderson boy and converting the White Gloves to cannibalism, the dialog options for Mortimer will close. However the quest will sometimes still direct the player to talk with
- The Legion remained hostile even after receiving the 'Mark of Caesar.' Equipping NCR armor, exiting the Pipboy screen, then removing the armor within Perception range of hostile Legion members worked to correct this. May also work outside of Perception range.
- If you upgrade the robots inside the bunker with the platinum chip then reload a previous save, the bots will still appear upgraded and characters within the game will feature the dialogue as if they've been upgraded as well, despite the quests NOW not having been finished due to reloading the game
- If you bring Veronica along with you when you are to destroy the Brotherhood of Steel Bunker she will stick with you and fight and exit the bunker. After exiting the bunker, she will consistently run towards you then run away, she'll repeat this forever and you can't access dialogue with her. Once you try to return to Caesar's tent you will be unable to enter as you can't tell Veronica to wait outside. This can be fixed by reverse pickpocketing a grenade onto the guard outside the tent and then fast traveling away immediately after it goes off. Fast travel back and the legion will not be hostile towards you and you may now enter the tent without the guard there to stop you.