Republic of Dave
Fallout 3 locations project
Republic of Dave
The Republic of Dave is a small farming settlement in the far northeast corner of the Capital Wasteland that is considered by its close-knit family to be a sovereign nation-state. In earlier years, it was known as the Kingdom of Tom before being taken over by its current ruler, Dave, who subsequently allowed voting and thus, it became a republic.
- 1 Background
- 2 Organization
- 3 Location
- 4 Layout
- 5 Inhabitants
- 6 Notable loot
- 7 Related quests
- 8 Notes
- 9 Appearances
- 10 Behind the scenes
- 11 Bugs
- 12 References
Background[edit | edit source]
Over the past two centuries, this tiny plot of land has been known as the Kingdom of Larry, the Republic of Stevie-Ray, Billsylvania, the New Republic of Stevie-Ray, and most recently the Kingdom of Tom, after Dave's father.
In his earlier days, Dave was exiled from the Kingdom of Tom and wandered the Wastes, gaining experience and maturing into a mercenary. He returned, instigated a rebellion, overthrew his father Tom, and renamed the Kingdom to the "Republic of Dave", where all citizens were safe from dictatorship since being replaced with democracy.
The Republic's economy seems to prosper, despite its small size due to trading, although rarely, with the trade caravans nearby. It also has its own agricultural sector to the left of the entrance into the Republic which includes a brahmin pen.
Organization[edit | edit source]
The Republic of Dave Military[edit | edit source]
Joint Security Force, consisting of Dave and Bob.
The Immigration Bureau[edit | edit source]
You cannot become a citizen of the Republic, but for asylum (the right to stay temporarily) you can first tell Dave that you are looking for asylum or for a "special asylum" you can become a "refugee" within the country; you must either pay the 250-cap immigration fee or offer a hunting rifle as a gift to do so. It is also possible to tell Dave that you are the Ambassador of the Wastelands, which requires a Speech check. In that case, he will let you stay for free.
The Tourism Office[edit | edit source]
Answers any questions an Ambassador from the Wastes is likely to ask upon arriving.
Other Amenities[edit | edit source]
- Dave wishes to remind visitors that there is a museum, school, Capitol Building, and men's and women's separate sleeping quarters which you cannot sleep in.
- The school here is one of only three known active schools in the entire Capital Wasteland, the others being in Vault 101 and Little Lamplight.
- The children are taught that Dave is better than an average human being, notably: "As a baby, he never cried and his poop didn't stink."
Elections[edit | edit source]
When the Lone Wanderer finds this small fenced compound, Dave is 'president', but the player can try to change this in the Election Day unmarked quest. The elections are a fairly important time in the Republic of Dave, though it does seem to be biased (Dave being the only Presidential candidate). The people blindly believe that Dave is their rightful leader and will vote for him unless convinced otherwise with Speech.
The law of the Republic of Dave is also another crucial element: everyone should refer to Dave as "Mr. President" and treat him with the utmost respect or else they will have 24 hours to leave the Republic, lest they be executed.
The New Republic of Dave[edit | edit source]
If he loses the elections, Dave informs the player that he is heading to Old Olney to make "The New Republic of Dave". For the new republic to establish, the player must go to Old Olney and clear out the deathclaws in the area. Dave will arrive at the ruined city and sit in the area where the wastelander bodies are found. When spoken to, Dave will inform you that you are in the New Republic of Dave, and order you to leave. Speaking to him twice more will make him hostile towards the player.
Location[edit | edit source]
The Republic is located in the northeast corner of the Capital Wasteland, nearly in the top-right corner of the map, east of Old Olney.
Layout[edit | edit source]
The Republic of Dave is a remote, single-family community located far to the northeast corner of the Capital Wasteland map. The compound is comprised of four primary buildings, an outhouse, and two brahmin. This fenced-in area has only one recognized access gate.
Inhabitants[edit | edit source]
- Dave, president
- Rosie, his first wife
- Jessica, his second wife
- Bob, Dave's eldest son and second in command
- Rachael, Dave's daughter
- Mary, Dave's daughter
- Ralph, Dave's son
- Flower, Dave's daughter
- Shawna, teacher and curator of the Museum of Dave; with enough speech you can convince her to buy your loot. She does not have anything to sell.
Notable loot[edit | edit source]
- Ol' Painless in a safe in the Republic of Dave capitol building or on Dave's person.
- The Bobblehead - Perception can be found in the Republic of Dave Museum.
- A Nuka-Cola Quantum on the safe in Capitol Building.
- Two pre-War books in the museum.
Related quests[edit | edit source]
Notes[edit | edit source]
- After you receive the safe code, you can loot everything in it except the caps. Removing the caps will make the people turn hostile towards you.
- Anything you take out of the safe is still considered stealing, even if given permission from one of the other residents.
- You can tell anyone in the Republic of Dave, "Your republic is forfeit, prepare to be reclaimed by the wasteland!" This will cause them to take you for a Communist, and either attack you or run away.
- According to the residents, Earth is at least fifty times the size of a model globe.
- If you talk to any of Dave's children, they will refer to him as "President Daddy".
- It is possible to jump over the fence and into The Republic of Dave but will cause all residents to turn hostile towards you.
- You can get in by using the Child At Heart perk and speaking to Flower.
- Similar to the giant teddy bear(s), there is a giant version of the hot plate on one of the shelves in the Museum of Dave.
- In the Museum of Dave there is a brahmin skull that the residents, told by Dave, believe to be a Deathclaw skull.
Appearances[edit | edit source]
Republic of Dave appears only in Fallout 3.
Behind the scenes[edit | edit source]
- The lead designer is on record saying that the Republic of Dave was not inspired by anything in particular; it simply struck them as a funny idea for a location to visit.
Bugs[edit | edit source]
- Fawkes with you, it may be best to have him wait outside as there have been cases of him killing all the adult non-player character's in the Republic of Dave unprovoked. Also, Sergeant RL-3 may also kill all the adults in an unprovoked attack, so have him wait outside, the same as Fawkes.needs verification If you have
- Sometimes Jessica or Bob will not vote if they are standing in front of the ballot box, even if they have already agreed to vote. This results in the quest being broken and the only way of fixing this problem is to load a save before you activated the quest.needs verification
- On approach to the camp for the first time, a random creature can spawn outside the gates causing a resident (usually Bob) to go outside and fight it. If they die no one else in the camp will be the wiser. After telling all of the remaining residents to go vote you have to tell Dave "the results are in" to get him to go the ballot box and finish the quest. If anyone is dead he'll simply repeat "* insert dead resident* hasn't voted yet..." and the quest will be broken. The solution is to load a save before you activated the quest.needs verification
- Some times after passing the Speech check to sell Dave's items, The game will glitch and will make it impossible to sell items.needs verification
- Fallout 3 Official Game Guide Game of the Year Edition p.330: "In the years shortly before the bombs fell, a large number of citizens believed that the U.S. government had become hopelessly corrupt and that the country was in grave danger from anarchists, liberals, and communists. These individuals relocated to remove rural locations, established private militias, and promised that they would one day take back the government for the people. They never got the chance. The bombs fell, shattering all world governments. Most of these separatists were killed in the war or the chaos that followed. However, a few dug in deep enough and survived the worst of the first few decades. Over the past two centuries, this tiny plot of land has been known as the Kingdom of Larry; the Republic of Stevie-Ray; Billsylvania; the New Republic of Stevie-Ray; and, most recently, the Nation of Tom, after Dave's father. Now that Dave has complete autonomy over his subjects, he rules his hamlet with an iron fist but wishes to be seen as benevolent."
- The Lone Wanderer: "Your father was a monarch? You mean like the butterfly?"
Dave: "How much radiation have you been exposed to? Not the butterfly, you moron. I meant the kind of leader that holds his office for life. My father inherited his political power from birth and renamed this great nation the Kingdom of Tom. Although I also inherited my political power from my father when I took over I formed a Republic so the people may elect their leader."
(Dave's dialogue (Fallout 3))