Return to Sender is a side quest in Fallout: New Vegas.
Sergeant Reyes at Camp Forlorn Hope has encountered some inconsistencies between the camps numbers and the reports they receive and she believes their radio security codes may be been compromised. She needs someone to go to each Ranger station and deliver new security codes.
- Speak with Sergeant Reyes at Camp Forlorn Hope.
- Deliver the security upgrade codes to the Ranger stations: Communications Officer Castillo at Ranger station Alpha; Tilden at Bravo; Stepinac at Charlie; Scheffer at Delta; Green at Echo; and Lenk at Foxtrot.
- Return to Reyes.
- Travel back to Ranger stations and investigate the incredulous reports by speaking to Ranger Lineholm at station Alpha, Ranger Pason at station Delta, and Ranger Kudlow at station Foxtrot.
- Return to Reyes and let her know that her suspicions were justified.
- Travel to Camp Golf.
- Confront Chief Hanlon. He can either be turned in, which results in his suicide, or be allowed to continue his plan. If Caesar has been killed (or died of his illness), Hanlon can be convinced to come to his senses and stop falsifying the reports.
|1|| ||Deliver the radio security upgrade codes to each of the Ranger Stations.|
|2|| ||Return to Sergeant Reyes and let her know the radio security upgrade is complete.|
|3|| ||Find out what else Sergeant Reyes needs you to do.|
|4|| ||Confirm Sergeant Reyes' suspicions about the reports from Camp Golf.|
|5|| ||Ask Ranger Lineholm about the battle losses at Ranger Station Alpha.|
|6|| ||Find out about the super mutant Legionary Attack at Ranger Station Delta.|
|7|| ||Investigate the deathclaw attacks on Ranger Station Foxtrot.|
|8|| ||Tell Sergeant Reyes that her suspicions about misinformation being fed to the NCR was correct.|
|9|| ||Inform Chief Hanlon what you and Sergeant Reyes discovered.|
|10||Speak to Chief Hanlon in his office.|
- If a non-player character capable of receiving the upgraded codes is dead, the player can manually upgrade the stations by interacting with the ham radio. This contingency is there in case the station is wiped out by wandering creatures (such as Foxtrot, and its cazador problem) or the player. This does not include Charlie, however, because the radio will have been destroyed by the Legion.
- Hanlon will not discuss quest matters unless he is outside on the balcony.
- The unmarked quest Andy and Charlie, which you get from Ranger Andy in Novac, also requires you to check out Ranger Station Charlie. You can effectively combine these two quests.
- If you return to Reyes, she'll ask you what Chief Hanlon had to say about the bogus reports. There are various replies available depending on your choices during this quest, but your reply doesn't really matter; she'll accept your version of the events without any repercussions.
Hanlon does not commit suicide after you tell him you will turn him in. Even after waiting, the quest does not advance. He just sits in his office behind a locked door.
Due to a scripting error, if you convince the chief to stop falsifying records, you will get the ending where you agreed to keep his secret safe.
It is possible for Hanlon to become glitched so that he remains stationary and never goes out to the balcony. He will not enter dialogue with the character and the quest cannot be completed.
- deathclaws". When the quest updates in the Courier's Pip-Boy, a quest objective is to investigate the reports from Camp Golf, even though these reports were not mentioned in the quest dialogue.
When receiving the second part of the quest, Reyes will tell the player that one Ranger Station is reporting attacks from super mutants and another is reporting being attacked by the Great Khans' "trained
- Note that this objective is marked as complete once the last report from the ranger stations are received; Hanlon does have dialogue regarding seeking out the ranger stations to confirm the reports, saying something about how "sometimes things get twisted"; this may be an attempt to throw you off his trail, though it is odd this dialogue can take place even after it is made apparent that Hanlon is to blame.
When Chief Hanlon makes a speech over the microphone before his suicide, each line is said twice.
If the player crosses the threshold that closes and locks Hanlon's door before the objective of finding a Ranger to arrest him finishes displaying, Hanlon's radio announcement fails to play. The gunshot still occurs and the quest is completed, though.
- Ring-a-Ding-Ding! the game will not allow you to enter any building (or something that requires you to go through a door) without freezing or crashing your system. This usually occurs when you are checking in with the false reports. The only way to fix this so you can go through doors is to load a previous saved game before this quest or the second part of the quest. If this quest is done before the quest
|Act 1||Ain't That a Kick in the Head · Back in the Saddle · By a Campfire on the Trail · They Went That-a-Way · Ring-a-Ding-Ding!|
|Act 2||Wild Card (Wild Card: Ace in the Hole, Change in Management, You and What Army?, Side Bets, Finishing Touches) · The House Always Wins (I, II, III, IV, V, VI, VII, VIII) · Render Unto Caesar · Et Tumor, Brute? · Things That Go Boom · Kings' Gambit · For the Republic, Part 2 · You'll Know It When It Happens/Arizona Killer|
|Act 3||No Gods, No Masters · All or Nothing · Veni, Vidi, Vici · Eureka!|
|Other||Come Fly With Me · Crazy, Crazy, Crazy · Ghost Town Gunfight · Guess Who I Saw Today · Left My Heart · My Kind of Town · The Legend of the Star and A Valuable Lesson · Unfriendly Persuasion · Wheel of Fortune|
|Companion quests||ED-E My Love · For Auld Lang Syne · Heartache by the Number · I Could Make You Care · I Forgot to Remember to Forget · Nothin' But a Hound Dog · One For My Baby|
|Unmarked quests||A Bit of Slap and Tickle · Access Powers · All Fired Up! · Andy and Charlie · Arachnophobia · Arizona Scavenger · Barton the Fink · Bear Necessities · Big Winner (Atomic Wrangler, The Gomorrah, The Tops, Ultra-Luxe, Vikki & Vance) · Bounty Killer (I, II) · Brotherhood Bond (I, II) · Caching in at the Cove · Cajoling a Cudgel · Claws Mended · Claws Out · Dealing with Contreras · Defacing the Humble Stone · Democracy Inaction · Don't Poke at the Bear · Eddie's Emissary · Exhumin' Nature · Flogging a Dead Corpse · Friend of the Followers · Getting a Leg Up from Andy · Gland for Some Home Cooking · Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger · Hat's Entertainment · Help for Halford · Hidden Valley computer virus · Highway to the Danger Zone (I, II) · Honorary Rocketeer · I Love Bananas · Iron and Stealing · Keith's Caravan Charade · Laurifer Gladiator · Lenk's Bad Debts · Lily and Leo · Long-Term Care · Malleable Mini Boomer Minds · Maud's Muggers · Meeting an Equal · Missing a Few Missiles · Not Worth a Hill of Corn and Beans · Of Boomers and Education · Old School Ghoul · A Pair of Dead Desperados (I, II) · Papers, Please · Pistol Packing · Playing on the Old Joana · Poor Meat Never Makes Good Soup · Powder to the People · Power to the People · Proper Burial · Razzle Dazzle! · Reach for the Sky, Mister! · Rest and Resupply · Ringo's Caravan Rules · Rotface's Loose Lips · The Screams of Brahmin · Silus Treatment · Short-Term Treatment · Smooth-Talking Criminal · Strategic Nuclear Moose · Straus Calls · Strip Search · Saving (or Savaging) Sergeant Teddy · Stocking Up · Suits You, Sarah · A Team of Moronic Mercenaries · Team Spirit · The Thorn Mayhem · Thought for the Day · Tourist Traipse · Trudy's Radio Repair · A Trusted Aide · Useless Baubles or Fancy Trinkets? · We Must Stop Beating Like This · We Must Stop Meeting Like This (I, II, III, IV) · Wind-Brahmin Wrangler · You Gotta Break Out a Few Eggs · You Make Me Feel Like a Woman|
| Cut quests||Auto-Inject Quest · Bright and Shiny · Chip Provenance · Debug Topics · Jailhouse Rock · Meat of Champions (quest) · TempMan · The Thorn Mayhem · Underpass Water Purifier · Viva Las Vegas! · Welcome to Fabulous New Vegas|