Return to Sender is a side quest in Fallout: New Vegas.
 Quick walkthrough
- Speak with Sergeant Reyes at Camp Forlorn Hope.
- Travel to all Ranger stations across the Mojave and deliver the upgrade codes.
- Return to Reyes.
- Travel back to Ranger stations and investigate the reports.
- Return to Reyes again.
- Travel to Camp Golf.
- Confront Chief Hanlon.
 Detailed walkthrough
Speak with Tech Sergeant Reyes at the Camp Forlorn Hope Command Center to begin this quest. You are asked to deliver several radio security upgrade codes by speaking to the communications officer at each of the Ranger stations. (If the officer in charge was killed in any way, interact with the Ham Radio to deliver the code.)
After you're finished, Reyes says that some of the intel reports coming in are farfetched and even bogus, so you're sent back out to several stations to double-check the intel reports. Speak to Ranger Lineholm at station Alpha, Ranger Pason at station Delta, and Ranger Kudlow at station Foxtrot. If you have them, walk out of the tent and then back in, and speak to Reyes. After her suspicions have been justified, go to Camp Golf and confront Chief Hanlon about it. He can be found on the balcony above the entrance to the House Resort during the day.
If you decide to turn him in, he commits suicide with his revolver after a speech to the camp. He drops his Ranger Sequoia, and you'll gain 500 XP. If you let Hanlon continue his plan without informing the NCR, he walks off and you get 500XP. If you have killed Caesar or discovered his illness, you can convince Hanlon to come back to his senses and cease falsifying the reports, and you get 500 XP.
- If a non-player character capable of receiving the upgraded codes is dead, the player can manually upgrade the stations by interacting with the ham radio. This contingency is there in case the station is wiped out by wandering creatures (such as Foxtrot, and its cazador problem) or the player. This does not include Charlie, however, because the radio will have been destroyed by the Legion.
- Hanlon will not discuss quest matters unless he is outside on the balcony.
- The unmarked quest Andy and Charlie, which you get from Ranger Andy in Novac, also requires you to check out Ranger Station Charlie. You can effectively combine these two quests.
- If you return to Reyes, she'll ask you what Chief Hanlon had to say about the bogus reports. There are various replies available depending on your choices during this quest, but your reply doesn't really matter; she'll accept your version of the events without any repercussions.
 Journal entries
|1|| ||Deliver the radio security upgrade codes to each of the Ranger Stations.|
|2|| ||Return to Sergeant Reyes and let her know the radio security upgrade is complete.|
|3|| ||Find out what else Sergeant Reyes needs you to do.|
|4|| ||Confirm Sergeant Reyes' suspicions about the reports from Camp Golf.|
|5|| ||Ask Ranger Lineholm about the battle losses at Ranger Station Alpha.|
|6|| ||Find out about the super mutant Legionary Attack at Ranger Station Delta.|
|7|| ||Investigate the deathclaw attacks on Ranger Station Foxtrot.|
|8|| ||Tell Sergeant Reyes that her suspicions about misinformation being fed to the NCR was correct.|
|9|| ||Inform Chief Hanlon what you and Sergeant Reyes discovered.|
|10||Speak to Chief Hanlon in his office.|
 Behind the scenes
- The quest content was implemented by Jeff Husges and Matt MacLean. Chief Hanlon was written by J.E. Sawyer.
- "Return to Sender" is a 1962 rock and roll hit single by American singer Elvis Presley. It is about a man getting a letter back from his girlfriend after an argument.
- Hanlon does not commit suicide after you tell him you will turn him in. Even after waiting, the quest does not advance. He just sits in his office behind a locked door.
- Due to a scripting error, if you convince the chief to stop falsifying records, you will get the ending where you agreed to keep his secret safe.
- It is possible for Hanlon to become glitched so that he remains stationary and never goes out to the balcony. He will not enter dialogue with the character and the quest cannot be completed.
- super mutants and another is reporting being attacked by the Great Khans' "trained deathclaws". When the quest updates in the Courier's Pip-Boy, a quest objective is to investigate the reports from Camp Golf, even though these reports were not mentioned in the quest dialogue.
When receiving the second part of the quest, Reyes will tell the player that one Ranger Station is reporting attacks from
- Note that this objective is marked as complete once the last report from the ranger stations are received; Hanlon does have dialogue regarding seeking out the ranger stations to confirm the reports, saying something about how "sometimes things get twisted"; this may be an attempt to throw you off his trail, though it is odd this dialogue can take place even after it is made apparent that Hanlon is to blame.
- When Chief Hanlon makes a speech over the microphone before his suicide, each line is said twice.
- Your companions can disappear when you leave the Camp Golf balcony. It's best to make them wait outside the resort before going in. When they disappear, going back outside, or leaving the building, can make them return after waiting 30 seconds (they just pop out of nowhere). In some cases you may have to dismiss them since they become "stuck" in front of the balcony.
- If the player crosses the threshold that closes and locks Hanlon's door before the objective of finding a Ranger to arrest him finishes displaying, Hanlon's radio announcement fails to play. The gunshot still occurs and the quest is completed, though.
- Ring-a-Ding-Ding! the game will not allow you to enter any building (or something that requires you to go through a door) without freezing or crashing your system. This usually occurs when you are checking in with the false reports. The only way to fix this so you can go through doors is to load a previous saved game before this quest or the second part of the quest.
If this quest is done before the quest
- Speaking with Ranger Andy and then using the "Rangers are tough, they'll be fine" option and then winning the speech challenge will result in no attack on Station Charlie. This will only happen if you end your conversation with the speech check. This way, you wouldn't get the note to check on Ranger Station Charlie. However, if you talk to Ranger Andy again and end the conversation normally, you would get the note and you would find that everyone in the station is dead.
- If you go to Ranger station Charlie first, gather the holotapes, and then talk to Ranger Andy at Novac, he'll have nothing to say about the Legion threats on the holotapes, making it impossible to continue. The only way to undo this mistake is to re-load to your previous saved game. If you happen to save the game right after you got the holotapes before talking to Ranger Andy, then you're stuck finishing this unmarked quest.
|Act 1||Ain't That a Kick in the Head · Back in the Saddle · By a Campfire on the Trail · They Went That-a-Way · Ring-a-Ding-Ding!|
|Act 2||Wild Card (Wild Card: Ace in the Hole, Change in Management, You and What Army?, Side Bets, Finishing Touches) · The House Always Wins (I, II, III, IV, V, VI, VII, VIII) · Render Unto Caesar · Et Tumor, Brute? · Things That Go Boom · Kings' Gambit · For the Republic, Part 2 · You'll Know It When It Happens/Arizona Killer|
|Act 3||No Gods, No Masters · All or Nothing · Veni, Vidi, Vici · Eureka!|
|Other||Come Fly With Me · Crazy, Crazy, Crazy · Ghost Town Gunfight · Guess Who I Saw Today · Left My Heart · My Kind of Town · The Legend of the Star and A Valuable Lesson · Unfriendly Persuasion · Wheel of Fortune|
|Companion quests||ED-E My Love · For Auld Lang Syne · Heartache by the Number · I Could Make You Care · I Forgot to Remember to Forget · Nothin' But a Hound Dog · One For My Baby|
|Unmarked quests||A Bit of Slap and Tickle · Access Powers · All Fired Up! · Andy and Charlie · Arachnophobia · Arizona Scavenger · Barton the Fink · Bear Necessities · Big Winner (Atomic Wrangler, The Gomorrah, The Tops, Ultra-Luxe, Vikki & Vance) · Bounty Killer (I, II) · Brotherhood Bond (I, II) · Caching in at the Cove · Cajoling a Cudgel · Claws Mended · Claws Out · Dealing with Contreras · Defacing the Humble Stone · Democracy Inaction · Don't Poke at the Bear · Eddie's Emissary · Exhumin' Nature · Flogging a Dead Corpse · Friend of the Followers · Getting a Leg Up from Andy · Gland for Some Home Cooking · Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger · Hat's Entertainment · Help for Halford · Hidden Valley computer virus · Highway to the Danger Zone (I, II) · Honorary Rocketeer · I Love Bananas · Iron and Stealing · Keith's Caravan Charade · Laurifer Gladiator · Lenk's Bad Debts · Lily and Leo · Long-Term Care · Malleable Mini Boomer Minds · Maud's Muggers · Meeting an Equal · Missing a Few Missiles · Not Worth a Hill of Corn and Beans · Of Boomers and Education · Old School Ghoul · A Pair of Dead Desperados (I, II) · Papers, Please · Pistol Packing · Playing on the Old Joana · Poor Meat Never Makes Good Soup · Powder to the People · Power to the People · Proper Burial · Razzle Dazzle! · Reach for the Sky, Mister! · Rest and Resupply · Ringo's Caravan Rules · Rotface's Loose Lips · The Screams of Brahmin · Silus Treatment · Short-Term Treatment · Smooth-Talking Criminal · Strategic Nuclear Moose · Straus Calls · Strip Search · Saving (or Savaging) Sergeant Teddy · Stocking Up · Suits You, Sarah · A Team of Moronic Mercenaries · Team Spirit · The Thorn Mayhem · Thought for the Day · Tourist Traipse · Trudy's Radio Repair · A Trusted Aide · Useless Baubles or Fancy Trinkets? · We Must Stop Beating Like This · We Must Stop Meeting Like This (I, II, III, IV) · Wind-Brahmin Wrangler · You Gotta Break Out a Few Eggs · You Make Me Feel Like a Woman|