Fallout 3 locations project
Route from Smith Casey's Garage
Rockopolis is a hidden underground settlement that was abandoned sometime before the year 2277. It is located at the western edge of the Capital Wasteland, north of Girdershade and southeast of the yao guai tunnels. An easy way to locate Rockopolis is to head directly west from Smith Casey's Garage. Eventually you will encounter a ravine blocking your path. Drop into the ravine and traverse it until you find your goal. The only noticeable feature from outside Rockopolis is the multicolored plastic triangle pennants hanging from the rocks. There is no visible door: you must approach the large boulder in front of the pennants (left of the tree).
There is a random encounter spawn point directly in front of the entrance.
Background[edit | edit source]
According to files on Herbert Dashwood's computer and the accounts of The Adventures of Herbert "Daring" Dashwood on Galaxy News Radio, Rockopolis was once a hidden underground village. The inhabitants would only allow outsiders in if they presented a secret knock. The leader of Rockopolis at the time was King Crag. Herbert accidentally led Penelope Chase, a slaver leader, to Rockopolis. According to Herbert Dashwood's computer, the incident led to the enslavement of the city's population and the destruction of the city itself. The fact that the population was enslaved is confirmed by the Rollings -- We're Done note found there. Part of Rockopolis is blocked off by a pile of rocks, however there is nothing behind the rocks and it is easy to get stuck.
Layout[edit | edit source]
Exterior[edit | edit source]
The entrance is a boulder that can be interacted with like any other door or entrance. Facing the boulder, there is one dead tree on the right, two on the left. And as the attached pictures show, there is a length of bunting above the boulder. It is easiest to find at night, as there are lights glowing on the rock face as you approach it from the east. The entrance is very close to the center of that particular square on the map. A random encounter location is near the entrance. There is a string of multicolored plastic triangle pennants (much like those found in Little Lamplight) above the entrance boulder.
If you approach from above, you'll see a small canyon - keep looking down - you'll notice a soft glow. Jump down and you'll have the option of entering Rockopolis without ever seeing the exterior.
Interior[edit | edit source]
The only accessible section of Rockopolis is now a small area with some random objects. The tunnel to what was the rest of Rockopolis itself is permanently blocked by rocks. The area has the appearance of a cave dwelling, but lacks any beds. The corpse of Argyle can be found near the cave in.
Notable loot[edit | edit source]
- Rollings -- We're Done is a holotape found on a desk near the ladder.
- Bobblehead - Unarmed is located next to Argyle's body, a reference to his use of martial arts during the adventures with Herbert "Daring" Dashwood.
Related quests[edit | edit source]
Notes[edit | edit source]
- While Rockopolis does not show up on the Pip-Boy "world map", its entrance is clearly marked on the Pip-Boy "local map".
- The note "Rollings -- We're Done" was the foreshadowing of the second add-on of Fallout 3, The Pitt.
- The immediate area Outside Rockopolis is a Type A random encounter location.
Appearances[edit | edit source]
Rockopolis appears only in Fallout 3.
Bugs[edit | edit source]
- It is possible to become stuck in a small pit if the player climbs the rocks to the left of Argyle's body. To escape on PC turn off collision in the console with the TCL command. To escape on Xbox 360 and PS3 versions, head to the end of the pit behind the rocks and jump up them till you're on top, head back left (jumping if necessary) until you're clear of potential obstructions, then simply walk back down.
- Argyle's body may not appear upon entering.