|For an overview of katana in the Fallout universe, see katana.|
The samurai's sword, by its real name katana, is a melee weapon in the Fallout 3 add-on Mothership Zeta.
A katana is a type of Japanese sword with a blade length greater than 23.6-28.7 inches (60-73 centimeters) and characterized by its distinctive appearance: a curved, slender, single-edged blade, circular or squared guard, and long grip that can accommodate two hands. Often called a "samurai sword" or "samurai's sword" because of its use by the feudal warriors, it became a symbol of the samurai caste.
Renowned for its sharpness and cutting ability, its origins go back at least as far as the Kamakura Period (1185–1333). Most often held with two hands, some techniques and combat styles were performed with a one-handed grip. The katana was generally carried in a saya, or scabbard, manufactured from lightweight wood, with a coat of lacquer on the exterior and a wooden knob on one side for attaching a braided cord.
The samurai's sword does higher damage than most other melee weapons, however, it lacks the special effects of Jingwei's Shocksword or the Shishkebab. On the other hand, it has a higher critical damage than most bladed melee weapons, and has a relatively low AP cost compared to similar weapons, allowing for more attacks in V.A.T.S.
- Chinese officer's sword, the common variant.
- Vampire's Edge, the weakest of the Chinese officer's sword variants, Vampire's Edge weighs only one pound, and is the only variant to use the regular sword's skin.
- Jingwei's Shocksword , an electrified version of the Chinese officer's sword, the shock sword is much stronger and deals electrical damage over time.
|The following is based on Fallout 3 cut content and has not been confirmed by canon sources.|
- Clover's cleaver, a Chinese officer's sword that was cut from the base game. It was intended to be used by Clover and was to be the Evil follower unique weapon, much like Fawkes' super sledge and Butch's Toothpick were for the other Karma levels.
- Katana , a variant of the samurai's sword that deals much more critical damage, but knocks foes down with critical hits.
|End of information based on Fallout 3 cut content.|
The samurai's sword can be found in the waste disposal area of Zeta, accessible through the maintenance level (which can be entered only during the quest "Among the Stars"). It is at the "end" of the area in a closet full of medical supplies. It can, however be found later, before you enter the Bridge: simply kill Toshiro and loot his body.
- Teleportation Matrix might not work. PC users can fix it by selecting the teleporter in console and use the command "activate".
When trying to exit the Waste Disposal area, the
- Toshiro Kago has been killed before entering the Waste Disposal area.
The sword might not appear if
When decorating your Megaton house, the sword's image will not appear while idle. However, if you look directly at it and get close enough to pick it up, then the option to pick it up will appear - picking it up will place it in your inventory like normal even though you can't see it.
It is possible to acquire two swords. First, get the one in the Waste Disposal. When you return to the Engineering Core, drop it right in front of Toshiro. Talk to him and tell him you found his sword and he'll miraculously acquire one. Kill him and it will be on his body (just don't lose/forget the one you dropped).
- It is possible to equip Toshiro with his sword and still retain a copy. Reverse pickpocket the sword onto him, allow him to equip it, and pickpocket it back.