|DPS (reload)||53.2 (105.8)|
|crit dmg||18||crit % mult||x1|
|ammo type||5.56mm round|
|ammo cap.||20||reload time||2 (1.5)|
The service rifle is a weapon in Fallout: New Vegas.
The New California Republic service rifle is a lightweight, air-cooled, magazine-fed, gas-operated rifle that uses the direct impingement gas principle with a rotary bolt locking mechanism. It is typically loaded with 20 5.56mm rounds per magazine, giving NCR troopers good firepower in the field, despite the absence of automatic firing modes. The key here is its conventional layout, with excellent ergonomics, gas operation, and straight recoil combining to create a very accurate rifle, even in the hands of untrained conscripts. As a bonus, the full wood-and-metal rifle can be easily broken down for cleaning or replaced with a new unit manufactured by the Gun Runners.
The service rifle is a moderately powerful mid-tier rifle using the common 5.56mm round as ammunition. As of patch 22.214.171.1242, the weapon has dramatically increased rate of fire along with increased accuracy. Additionally, it has low skill and strength requirements, making it a very viable weapon for low level players. This also means NCR troopers are far more effective in combat, with a squad able to project a much greater amount of firepower.
One extremely useful trait of the service rifle is its ability to repair high-end weapons like the light machine gun, sniper rifle, and assault carbine using the Jury Rigging perk.
It also has two swivels, located on the bottom of the stock and ahead of the handguard, which would be used for a sling, but no such sling is present.
- Service rifle reflex sight, cut from the game. It likely would have added an alternative sight with enhanced zoom.
- Service rifle bayonet, cut from the game. This would have added a melee aspect to the firearm, but the system was never created.
| Service rifle
|| Semi-auto rifle
|| 5.56mm round
|| Gun:25 Strength:2
| Survivalist's rifle
|| Semi-auto rifle
|| 12.7mm round
|| Guns:75 Strength:4
- South Vegas Ruins - found on the second shelf of metal racking, located inside the ruined building directly north-east of the entrance to Vault 3.
- Boulder City - located on the second floor of a abandoned building to the north-east of the Boulder City ruins entrance, next to some skeletons and a ranger holodisk message. It is in terrible condition.
- Bloodborne cave - found just after second campfire, next to a dead NCR trooper.
- Camp Guardian caves - located on the path down the center.
- Jacobstown - inside one of the bungalows, above the fireplace.
- Dhatri, Klamath Bob, Duke, Halford and Gomez all carry one.
- Gun Runners - can be bought from Vendortron.
- Johnson Nash sometimes has one for sale in Primm.
- Blake at the Crimson Caravan Company sometimes sells them.
- Doc Sawbones in Camp Golf always has one for sale, along with ammunition.
- This rifle is carried by members of the NCR at the Mojave Outpost, HELIOS One, Camp McCarran.
- Can be obtained from First Sergeant Astor after you complete We Will All Go Together in Camp Searchlight, as well as from Ranger Jackson, along with 72 armor piercing 5.56 rounds as well as 2 weapon repair kits and 2 caravan lunches after you complete Can You Find it in Your Heart? at the Mojave Outpost.
- This rifle can be found in a small, unmarked coyote den west of Primm (exact location would be further on west from the drive-in cinema and playground, just south of the Canyon Wreckage spot on the map) guarded by at least 2 coyotes the rifle and NCR trooper seem to respawn over a period of time also two ammunition box can be found here.
- Can be commonly found in most Ranger Stations.
- Carried by almost all standard NCR troopers.
- During the quest, I Forgot to Remember to Forget, a Legion Vexillarius might carry a service rifle when the Legion attacks Bitter Springs.
Behind the scenes
- The service rifle is based on a mishmash of the AR-15 and the AR-10.
- The reflex sight and bayonet mods were cut because they couldn't be coded to work properly.
- deathclaw hands.
Sometimes when you go into 3rd person with the gun in your hands, your hands will be about the size as a pair of
Sometimes in V.A.T.S., the service rifle will disappear from the PCs hands; the animation will continue, however, which will waste ammunition, and do no damage to the enemy. The gun will reappear when the V.A.T.S. animation ends. This glitch may happen outside V.A.T.S. as well, when crouching, but can be fixed by simply standing up.
When completing the aid for Camp Guardian a loop can be created through dialog with Private Halford to obtain 1 service rifle, 15 armor piercing 5.56mm rounds and 32 5.56mm rounds by going through the top dialog options repeatedly.
A service rifle model with all the modifications, excluding cut content.
A service rifle model with the reflex sight modification.
A service rifle model with the bayonet modification.
A service rifle model with all the modifications, including cut content.
- ↑ Weapon appearance and mechanics.
- ↑ J.E. Sawyer on Formspring
- ↑ J.E. Sawyer: "The Service Rifle initially had different mods, but we couldn't get them to work as designed, so we switched over to mods that didn't change the model but had a practical effect."