Still in the Dark
Still in the Dark
Elder McNamara, behind his desk
Synopsis[edit | edit source]
Following defeat at Helios One, the Brotherhood of Steel in the Mojave went into lockdown and have remained isolated for the last five years. Naturally, they need an outsider to help them with a few missions for the outside.
Walkthrough[edit | edit source]
- Locate the Brotherhood of Steel in Hidden Valley Bunker.
- Speak with Paladin Ramos.
- Speak with Elder McNamara.
- Deal with the NCR Ranger.
- Speak with Elder McNamara.
- Retrieve the three holotapes from fallen Brotherhood patrols.
- Return to Elder McNamara, and give him the three holotapes.
- (Optional) Oust McNarama for Head Paladin Hardin.
- Research the circumstances of previous Elder dismissals in the scribe archive database. Return to Hardin with information about the Chain That Binds.
- Meet with three Brotherhood scouts and obtain their reports.
- Give Elder McNamara the three scout field reports and report to Knight Lorenzo.
- Retrieve the parts for the air filtration system.
- Return to Hidden Valley and give the parts to Lorenzo.
Quest stages[edit | edit source]
The first stages differ upon how the courier enters the bunker:
- With Veronica accompanying the courier, the quest starts with stage 3 and skips stages 10 and 15.
- Without Veronica and lockpicking the entrance, the quest starts with stage 1, stages 2 and 3 are skipped.
- Without Veronica and using the password to enter, the quest starts with stage 2, stage 3 is skipped.
|1||Speak to Elder McNamara.|
|2||Speak to Elder McNamara.|
|3||Speak to Elder McNamara in the command room.|
|10||Deal with an NCR Ranger who is camping in one of the bunkers of Hidden Valley.|
Return to Elder McNamara with news that the ranger has been dealt with.
|15||Speak to Elder McNamara in the command room.|
|20||Find the missing Brotherhood patrol at REPCONN HQ and retrieve their mission holotape.|
|21||Find the missing Brotherhood patrol at Nellis AFB and retrieve their mission holotape.|
|22||Find the missing Brotherhood patrol at Black Mountain and retrieve their mission holotape.|
|29||Return to Elder McNamara with the three patrol mission holotapes.|
|30||Meet with a Brotherhood scout near the NCR Correctional Facility and collect his report.|
|31||Meet with a Brotherhood scout near the town of Nipton and collect his report.|
|32||Meet with a Brotherhood scout near Camp Forlorn Hope and collect his report.|
|39||Return to Elder McNamara with the three scouts' reports.|
|40||Speak to Senior Knight Lorenzo regarding the failing air filtration system.|
|41||Search the vaults in the region for a differential pressure controller.|
|42||Search the vaults in the region for a reverse pulse cleaner.|
|43||Search the vaults in the region for several HEPA cartridge filters.|
|48||Return to Senior Knight Lorenzo with the components.|
|49||Return to Elder McNamara with the news that the air filtration system should be fine.|
|50||(Optional) Help Head Paladin Hardin find a way to oust Elder McNamara from his position.|
|51||(Optional) Talk to Senior Paladin Ramos on Hardin's behalf.|
|52||(Optional) Look at the Brotherhood's history files relating to Elders being dismissed from their positions.|
|53||(Optional) Ask Paladin Ramos about the Chain That Binds.|
|54||(Optional) Check the datastore for more information on the Chain That Binds.|
|55||(Optional) Talk to Senior Scribe Ibsen about accessing the Brotherhood's datastore.|
|60||(Optional) Return to Hardin with the lost patrols' mission discs.|
|61||(Optional) Return to Hardin with your findings about the Chain That Binds.|
|100||After dutifully completing all of McNamara's missions, the Brotherhood decides to once again emerge from their isolation, still led by Elder McNamara.|
|101||After the player reports the chapter's peril to Hardin, the Head Paladin calls for a vote of no faith in McNamara's leadership, resulting in his exile and Hardin's assumption of the title.|
|200||The quest failed, likely because Elder McNamara died.|
Notes[edit | edit source]
- If you oust McNamara, you will not be able to peacefully resolve the conflict between the Brotherhood and the NCR during the main NCR quest For the Republic, Part 2.
- The reports from the scouts at Camp Forlorn Hope and the NCR Correctional Facility will differ depending on how you completed the quests Restoring Hope or We Are Legion and I Fought the Law.
- You must first complete this quest before the player can join the Brotherhood, or recruit their help at Hoover Dam. If you have not completed this quest and then explain to the Elder that the NCR is looking to destroy them then he will show no concern and state that it would be difficult for the NCR to locate the bunker.
- Regardless of if you decided to help Hardin or McNamara, the lockdown will be lifted.
- Once completed, Power Armor Training will become available.
Behind the scenes[edit | edit source]
- "Still in the Dark" is a double meaning; it both refers to the 1950 blues song "Still in the Dark" by Big Joe Turner and also implies that the Brotherhood of Steel are "still in the dark" (hiding from outside world in Hidden Valley) and try to get out of their overture by the help of the Courier.
|The following is based on Fallout New Vegas cut content and has not been confirmed by canon sources.|
- According to HVRangerRadioScript, it was possible to fix the snooping NCR Ranger's radio at some point. It's unclear what purpose this would achieve, but the script even notes this outcome was cut from the game. There are also cut dialogue topics for this e.g. VDialogueHiddenValleyHVRangerTopic005 ("You might want to know that I fixed your radio earlier."), but the reply dialogue has been removed. There's also a cut topic where you can tell him about the Brotherhood of Steel base that was later rewritten as a new topic.
|End of information based on Fallout New Vegas cut content.|
Bugs[edit | edit source]
- ED-E My Love and you have been asked to talk to Lorenzo giving him ED-E will make him disappear, leaving you unable to complete Still in the Dark. This can be solved by simply waiting a few days until ED-E returns to Primm. If you are doing the quest
- ED-E My Love, if Lorenzo has asked to look at ED-E, he will not accept the filtration system parts when you have ED-E with you. Simply fire ED-E, talk to Lorenzo, and rehire ED-E. In the course of completing the quest
- prid 000e2f87, then kill, then resurrect. Exit the console and he will proceed to his chair in the command room. Note: If you exit the console after entering "kill" but before entering "resurrect," Elder McNamara will die and you will fail the quest. After dealing with the NCR ranger and returning to McNamara, he could possibly wander into the wall with the first array of turrets, and freeze there. Solution: Enter the console, select Elder McNamara with your mouse or type
- resetquest 0015d79d, setstage 0015d79d 3, setstage 0015d79d 20.
Or if you didn't enter with Veronica's help: resetquest 0015d79d, setstage 0015d79d 2, setstage 0015d79d 10, setstage 0015d79d 15, setstage 0015d79d 20 If you give the holotapes to the elder and continue his quest line, then give the tapes to Hardin, you may effectively lock both quest lines. The effect will be that Hardin will say he'll be busy a few days (taking down the elder), and the elder will say he must prepare his defense. Neither will ever change from this state, no matter how long you wait. To fix this on PC, enter the command prompt (`), then enter the commands:
- Then either immediately give the tapes to Hardin and tell him about the second part of the chain, at which point the quest should complete, or never give him the tapes and finish the elder's quest line.
- Lorenzo about the filtration system before Hardin takes over you can still turn in the parts to him and he will direct you to the elder, but McNamara will no longer have the completion dialog. You must pick one or the other. Helping Hardin to take over the chapter and repairing the filtration system are intended to be mutually exclusive quests. However as long as you have spoken to
- Upon completion of Still in the Dark, if started with Veronica, whomever you choose to be Elder may be stuck and you will not be able to start the other quests.
- When at the part of the quest to collect the reports once you have all three and return to the bunker the game will freeze (black screen) when trying to enter, to get around this if you have companions with you ask them to wait whilst you are outside the bunker, then enter and you will be able to continue, get you next mission then on leaving the bunker just ask your companions to follow you.
- After ousting McNamara while still in the quest "I Could Make You Care" certain dialog with Veronica will put you in an endless cycle of talking without any way getting out of it other than loading a save.
- On completion of the quest, the door back to the Hidden Valley Bunker may become locked, leaving you trapped in the bunker. The door cannot be opened without a key, but a key can be pickpocketed from various members of the Brotherhood within the bunker.