Still in the Dark
Still in the Dark
Elder McNamara, behind his desk
 Quick walkthrough
- Locate the Brotherhood of Steel in Hidden Valley Bunker.
- Speak with Paladin Ramos.
- Speak with Elder McNamara.
- Deal with the NCR Ranger.
- Speak with Elder McNamara.
- Retrieve the three holotapes from fallen Brotherhood patrols.
- Return to Elder McNamara, and give him the three holotapes.
- Meet with three Brotherhood scouts and obtain their reports.
- Give Elder McNamara the three scout field reports.
- Retrieve the parts for the air filtration system.
- Return to Hidden Valley and give the parts to Lorenzo.
 Detailed walkthrough
After stumbling across a secretive bunker in a fenced off area, one can access it one of several ways. To gain access to the interior of the bunker, the Courier needs to either have a Lockpick skill of 100 (very hard) or perform certain other actions to be able to interact with the intercom, such as:
- Finding the holotapes on the dead Brotherhood of Steel paladins.
- Getting far enough in any faction's storyline to be asked to find the Brotherhood of Steel.
- Having Veronica Santangelo as a companion.
- After getting two playbacks from ED-E, eventually Senior Knight Lorenzo manages to hack in to ED-E's communication systems, asking you to find a Brotherhood patrol so they can have a look at ED-E's databanks.
- Encountering a Brotherhood patrol in the area will cause a squad to rush out to meet you when you enter the bunker, a sort of hybrid situation of the ED-E method and the holotape method.
If using the password you will be greeted by a Brotherhood of Steel squad and required to relinquish your entire inventory. A short scene follows in which you are questioned by Senior Paladin Ramos about the password itself. Afterward you are led to Elder McNamara and given your first assignment.
 Deal with the Ranger
The Elder will explain the secretive nature of the location and the need to test you. You are fitted with an explosive collar, which will detonate if you pass beyond a certain range of the area. Your first task is to remove Ranger Dobson who has set up shop in a nearby bunker. Success is rewarded with removal of the collar, free movement about the bunker, and the next assignment.
Head to the nearby bunker that houses the Ranger. Once inside, Dobson says he's on a reconnaissance mission and isn't leaving. The player can convince him to leave by passing a Speech check of 50 (unless they have a poor reputation with the NCR). An easier work around is to simply kill him.
The player can also ask about his radio, wait until daylight when he leaves the bunker, select his radio and choose the option to smash it. Smashing the radio with Dobson in the room will make him turn hostile. You can also rig the radio to explode. When he returns, he will go fiddle with the radio and meet a quick death. You do not lose karma or NCR fame if you choose this option as long as you remain hidden when Dobson uses the radio. If he is in the room he will notice what you did and will confront you. Passing a Speech check of 40 will lead to the ranger blowing himself up the next time he uses the radio.
Alternatively, the player can also reveal the location of the Brotherhood of Steel to the NCR Ranger. The Ranger will then remove the collar from the Courier, but will be ambushed by Brotherhood of Steel paladins. If the player manages to save the ranger, they are rewarded with NCR fame, but the quest will be failed.
 Obtaining the holotapes
The second task is to locate several patrols that have gone missing. The paladins must be brought back, or if found dead, their mission holotapes returned.
The moment you exit the Elder's chamber, you are confronted by Head Paladin Hardin who tells you that he believes the Elder's policy of keeping them isolated from the outside world will be their doom, and wants you to help him oust Elder McNamara. He asks you to find out more about what leads to an Elder being replaced and tells you to update him on all the quests the Elder gives you. These are all marked as optional parts of the same quest.
 REPCONN Headquarters
Go to REPCONN Headquarters, which is far east of Hidden Valley. Once inside, a Mister Handy tour guide will offer you a tour of the ground floor museum. Once finished with the tour, enter the door to the left in the planetarium and up the stairs to get the keycard. Go back to the first room and through the locked door using the card. Find the door to the second floor and take the first door on the left. Hack the terminal (very easy), beside a Nikola Tesla and You, and select the first option which gives you unlimited access to the second floor.
Find the door heading to the third floor and enter. A waiting security bot will question you. If you cannot pass a Luck check of 7 or an Intelligence check of 4, it will tell you that you must leave within 30 seconds or measures will be taken to remove you. Search the paladin near the rubble and leave (there is also a third level security pass located on a corpse).
 Nellis Air Force Base
Head to Nellis Air Force Base in the far northeast of the Mojave. The stretch from the road to the air force base is protected by a large battery of artillery pieces that rain down shells one within the blown out town. The paladin is somewhere in the destroyed town; it can change from game to game because of the artillery the Boomers fire can push the body around. Following the quest marker to the body is the most reliable way to find it.
 Black Mountain
After exiting the Hidden Valley Bunker, look on your compass and head to a hole in the fence to the east-northeast and follow the trail to just south of Black Mountain. Heading up the switch backs, you'll find an offshoot of the road that leads to a gated in area. You will encounter Moe and possibly 5-6 additional centaurs in and around an moderately irradiated crater (maximum of 11 rads/sec). The paladin is at the bottom of the crater.
Return to the Hidden Valley bunker and hand over the tapes to Elder McNamara, or talk to Head Paladin Hardin who will accept the holotapes and use them as evidence to oust McNamara.
 Option: Oust McNamara
If you choose to help Head Paladin Hardin, start by researching previous Elders' dismissals in the Scribe archive datastore. First you must you resolve the problem with the Hidden Valley computer virus. Speak with Scribe Ibsen about fixing the virus. After the virus is isolated, consult the datastore, then talk to Paladin Ramos about 'The Chain that Binds'. He will authorize you to access this information in the datastore. Return to the archives and read about 'The Chain That Binds'. Talk to Hardin about what you've learned. He will tell you things will take a few days. The screen will go black, and when the scene resumes, he is now Elder Hardin. This will effectively conclude the quest, eliminating the need for further steps. Hardin will give you the key to the Brotherhood of Steel safehouse.
After you give McNamara the holotapes, he will ask you to find three Brotherood scouts that haven't reported in for a while. Head to each scout and start a conversation; the first option should mention "Are the bears still hunting?". Choose this and you will receive the scouts' reports. Collect all three and give them to McNamara.
The first scout is located on the northeast end of the NCR Correctional Facility, relatively close to the facility and relatively low to the ground. He is just outside the fence bordering the facility. When you ask him if the bears are still hunting, he will report to you that he's been watching the NCRCF for a while now, and is confused on how the NCR has let the Powder Gangers remain loose and in control of the jail for this extended length of time without any attempt of retaking the prison.
The second scout is on the far northeast side of Nipton, quite far off and very high up. You should see the water tower in Nipton far off ahead on the right side of the town of Nipton, if you are at the right place. Head north by northeast from the water tower and scale the mountain (between and a little north of the coyote den and the hidden supply cave), and remember that it is not close to the town, not like the scout over at the NCR facility. When inquired about the hunting bears, he will give his report on the brutal attack on the town of Nipton by Caesar's Legion, and the fact that it happened so deep in NCR territory.
The third scout is easier to find than the second; he is located to the southwest end of Camp Forlorn Hope. He is up on a rock overlooking the valley on the southern side of the camp, in plain view of the Ranger tower on the far south side of the camp. The rock which the scout is on is not adjacent to the rocks surrounding the camp; there is a large gap in between the rock that the scout is on, and the Ranger tower on the southern side of the camp. The rock is approximately the same elevation as the ranger tower, although slightly higher in elevation. You cannot see him from the Ranger tower; you have to go up the rock to find him. His report is on the town of Nelson, and the NCR defeat there.
Return to the BoS bunker and give the reports to the Elder. He will ask you to speak to Senior Knight Lorenzo about repairing the air filtration system.
 Fixing the air filtration system
Lorenzo informs the Courier that the bunkers air filtration system is beginning to fail because it's been active for some long without any way to maintain it. He says there are some replacement parts scattered around the Mojave, particularly in the vaults.
 Vault 22
Go to Vault 22 in the northwest of the Mojave. The six HEPA 20 cartridge filters are in a locker on the 2nd Level - Oxygen Recycling. The filters are only accessible via the caves because debris blocks the doorway to the room they are located in. Through the door that says "key required", with a terminal next to it, you must first acquire the keycard located below.
Firstly, navigate towards the 4th Level - Common Areas. Head into the large area and drop down to the level below. From here, go through the door labeled "Quarters." An average lock is on this door, but can be bypassed by using the terminal in the Overseer's Office in the fourth floor. A Vault 22 Cave Door Keycard is in the first room on the left (the one with a baby carriage and crib) with a couple spore carriers inside. Look on the shelves to the right of the room. The Vault 22 Cave Door Keycard is on the third shelf from the bottom.
When you have obtained the keycard, head back up to 3rd Level - Food Production and enter the room with a terminal and the cave door (the door cannot be lockpicked and requires the keycard). Use the terminal on the left to unlock the door. (make sure you head straight up to the 3rd level and not wander off the quest or you might trigger a possible bug that will make the quest stuck for you)
Once you enter the cave, take your first right and head up that path. You will eventually come to a wooden door labeled Oxygen Recycling; enter this door. You will find 6 HEPA 20 Cartridge Filters in a locker here. Finally, retrace your steps to go back to the first level "Entrance Hall", and proceed to the vault exit.
 Vault 3
Go to Vault 3 in the New Vegas Ruins. Upon entering the vault you will encounter a Fiend who asks your business inside the vault:
- If you have been given a package to deliver to Motor-Runner by Diane as part of the quest Aba Daba Honeymoon and are wearing a Great Khan outfit the Fiend will assume you are there to deliver the next shipment of drugs from the Khans. After a brief exchange the Vault's inhabitants will become friendly and you will be allowed to pass.
- If you can pass the Speech check of 64, she will be persuaded that you are a Great Khan selling the Fiends' chems. Just follow the main halls and you will end up in the Motor-Runner's room. The Reverse Pulse Cleaner will be in a locker in the same room as Motor-Runner and will not be considered "stolen" if you take it.
- If you cannot pass the speech check, then the Fiends in the vault will turn hostile and you'll have top fight your way through. Head to the southern part of the map and look for the door to the Living Quarters. Head left and (after dodging some traps) enter the door titled Recreation Area. After speaking with the ranger either convince him to go help you kill the fiend leader or just kill him for the maintenance room key.
Use the maintenance room key to access the maintenance wing. Continue through until you find the room that Motore-Runner resides in. The reverse pulse cleaner is in the first of the two lockers on the left.
 Vault 11
Go to Vault 11 to the south of the 188 trading post. You will find the differential pressure controller in a locker under water in the flooded section of the Lower Level. It's helpful to have the rebreather for this part of the quest. Go towards the overseer's office but before you reach it, take the turn towards the utility room and head down the stairs into the flooded hallway, keep going and take the first room on your right and it's in the locker on the right hand side of the room. See the quest Democracy Inaction for a detailed guide.
Once you have all three items return to Hidden Valley and tell Lorenzo. You will receive 1000 experience and a Brotherhood safehouse key in return. Upon re-entering the bunker you will have access to a special footlocker by the entrance that re-stocks energy weapon ammunition every time you re-enter the room. (But first a brotherhood scribe will speak to you and tell you, which causes the box to appear there).
- If you oust McNamara, you will not be able to peacefully resolve the conflict between the Brotherhood and the NCR during the main NCR quest For the Republic, Part 2.
- The reports from the scouts at Camp Forlorn Hope and NCRCF will be different depending on how you completed the quests Restoring Hope or We Are Legion and I Fought the Law.
- You must first complete this quest before the player can join the Brotherhood, or recruit their help at Hoover Dam. If you have not completed this quest and then explain to the Elder that the NCR is looking to destroy them then he will show no concern and state that it would be difficult for the NCR to locate the bunker.
- Regardless of if you decided to help Hardin or McNamara, the lockdown will be lifted.
- Once completed, Power Armor Training will become available.
 Journal entries
|1||Speak to Elder McNamara|
|2||Deal with an NCR Ranger who is camping in one of the bunkers of Hidden Valley|
|3||Return to Elder McNamara with news that the ranger has been delt with.|
|4||Speak to Elder McNamara in the command room.|
|5||Find the missing Brotherhood patrol at REPCONN HQ and retrieve their mission holotape.|
|6||Find the missing Brotherhood patrol at Nellis AFB and retrieve their mission holotape.|
|7||Find the missing Brotherhood patrol at Black Mountain and retrieve their mission holotape.|
|8||(Optional) Talk to Senior Paladin Ramos on Hardin's behalf.|
|9||(Optional) Look at the brotherhood's history files relating to Elders being dismissed from their positions.|
|10||(Optional) Ask Paladin Ramos about the Chain That Binds.|
|11||(Optional) Check the datastore for more information on the Chain That Binds.|
|12||(Optional) Return to Hardin with your findings about the Chain That Binds.|
|13||(Optional) Help Head Paladin Hardin find a way to oust Elder McNamara from his position.|
|14||(Optional) Return to Hardin with the lost patrols' mission discs.|
|15||Return to Elder McNamara with the three patrol mission holotapes.|
|16||Meet with a Brotherhood scout near the NCR Correctional Facility and collect his report.|
|17||Meet with a Brotherhood scout near the town of Nipton and collect his report.|
|18||Meet with a Brotherhood scout near Camp Forlorn Hope and collect his report.|
|19||Return to Elder McNamara with the three scouts' reports.|
|20||Search the vaults in the region for a differential pressure controller.|
|21||Search the vaults in the region for a reverse pulse cleaner.|
|22||Search the vaults in the region for several HEPA cartridge filters.|
 Quest stages
|1||Player snuck in and got caught by Ramos, who takes him/her to Elder McNamara.|
|2||Player used a password found on one of the dead patrols, and is now directed by Ramos to speak to Elder McNamara.|
|3||Player entered with Veronica, and is now directed to see Elder McNamara.|
|10||Player either snuck in or used a password, and has now been tasked with proving him/herself by dealing with the Ranger who's set up shop topside.|
|15||The player has dealt with the ranger and returned, and Elder McNamara has asked that he/she come talk to him in the command room about something confidential.|
|20||Having proven him/herself or entered with Veronica, the player is tasked to find all of the missing Brotherhood Patrols, which are located in Black Mountain, REPCONN HQ, and near Nellis.|
|30||Now McNamara wants the player to retrieve the reports of scouts sent to investigate the state of the NCR. The scouts can be found near NCRCF, Nipton, and Forlorn Hope.|
|40||McNamara confides to the player that the bunker's systems are failing, and sends the player to find the components to fix them.|
|100||After dutifully completing all of McNamara's missions, the Brotherhood decides to once again emerge from their isolation, still led by Elder McNamara.|
|101||After the player reports the chapter's peril to Hardin, the Head Paladin calls for a vote of no faith in McNamara's leadership, resulting in his demotion into a knight and Hardin's assumption of the title.|
|200||The quest failed, likely because Elder McNamara died.|
 Behind the scenes
- "Still in the Dark" is a double meaning; it both refers to a 1950 blues song by Big Joe Turner and also implies that the Brotherhood of Steel are "still in the dark" (hiding from outside world in Hidden Valley) and try to get out of their overture by the help of the Courier.
- ED-E My Love and you have been asked to talk to Lorenzo giving him ED-E will make him disappear, leaving you unable to complete Still in the Dark. This can be solved by simply waiting a few days until ED-E returns to Primm. If you are doing the quest
- ED-E My Love, Lorenzo has asked to look at ED-E, he will not accept the filtration system parts when you have ED-E with you. Simply fire ED-E, talk to Lorenzo, and rehire ED-E. If, in the course of completing the quest
- prid 000e2f87, then kill, then resurrect. Exit the console and he will proceed to his chair in the command room. Note: If you exit the console after entering "kill" but before entering "resurrect," Elder McNamara will die and you will fail the quest. After dealing with the NCR ranger and returning to McNamara, he could possibly wander into the wall with the first array of turrets, and freeze there. Solution: Enter the console, select Elder McNamara with your mouse or type
- resetquest 0015d79d, setstage 0015d79d 3, setstage 0015d79d 20.
Or if you didn't enter with Veronica's help: resetquest 0015d79d, setstage 0015d79d 2, setstage 0015d79d 10, setstage 0015d79d 15, setstage 0015d79d 20 If you give the holotapes to the elder and continue his quest line, then give the tapes to Hardin, you may effectively lock both quest lines. The effect will be that Hardin will say he'll be busy a few days (taking down the elder), and the elder will say he must prepare his defense. Neither will ever change from this state, no matter how long you wait. To fix this on PC, enter the command prompt (`), then enter the commands:
- Then either immediately give the tapes to Hardin and tell him about the second part of the chain, at which point the quest should complete, or never give him the tapes and finish the elder's quest line.
- Lorenzo about the filtration system before Hardin takes over you can still turn in the parts to him and he will direct you to the elder, but McNamara will no longer have the completion dialog. You must pick one or the other. Helping Hardin to take over the chapter and repairing the filtration system are intended to be mutually exclusive quests. However as long as you have spoken to
- Upon completion of Still in the Dark, if started with Veronica, whomever you choose to be Elder may be stuck and you will not be able to start the other quests.
- Sometimes the quest will become impossible to complete due to a glitch that causes all Brotherhood members to become hostile to you.
- When at the part of the quest to collect the reports once you have all three and return to the bunker the game will freeze (black screen) when trying to enter, to get around this if you have companions with you ask them to wait whilst you are outside the bunker, then enter and you will be able to continue, get you next mission then on leaving the bunker just ask your companions to follow you.
- After ousting McNamara while still in the quest "I Could Make You Care" certain dialog with Veronica will put you in an endless cycle of talking without any way getting out of it other than loading a save.
- On completion of the quest, the door back to the Hidden Valley Bunker may become locked, leaving you trapped in the bunker. The door cannot be opened without a key, but a key can be pickpocketed from various members of the Brotherhood within the bunker.
- When taking the optional mission for finding the laser pistol you won't be able to find the person who's lost it. Even if you know where the gun is you won't be able to discover it nor pick it up for that matter. The person who's lost it won't even be in the bunker, he's nowhere to be located
- Sometimes after completing 'Fixing the air filtration system' the autosaves after completion will not load. When continuing straight from menu it will freeze in the loading screen, or if loading in-game, it will load then a pop up will come up saying that save relies on downloadable content and it will crash back to the main menu. You will have to start again from a previous save.