Still in the Dark is a side quest in Fallout: New Vegas.
Following defeat at Helios One, the Brotherhood of Steel in the Mojave went into lockdown and have remained isolated for the last five years. Naturally, they need an outsider to help them with a few missions for the outside.
- Locate the Brotherhood of Steel in Hidden Valley Bunker.
- Speak with Paladin Ramos.
- Speak with Elder McNamara.
- Deal with the NCR Ranger.
- Either kill Dobson or convince him to leave the bunker with a Speech of 50.
- Speak with Elder McNamara.
- Retrieve the three holotapes from fallen Brotherhood patrols.
- One patrol is on the third floor of the REPCONN headquarters; another patrol is found in a crater in the bombed out town outside of Nellis Air Force Base; and the last patrol is in a gated-off crater along the switchbacks up to the summit of Black Mountain, surrounded by centaur.
- Return to Elder McNamara, and give him the three holotapes.
- (Optional) Oust McNarama for Head Paladin Hardin.
- Research the circumstances of previous Elder dismissals in the scribe archive database. Return to Hardin with information about the Chain That Binds.
- Meet with three Brotherhood scouts and obtain their reports.
- One scout is outside the NCR Correctional Facility; another scout is northeast of Nipton, on the mountain between the coyote den and the hidden supply cave; the third scout is on a cliff southwest of Camp Forlorn Hope.
- Give Elder McNamara the three scout field reports and report to Knight Lorenzo.
- Retrieve the parts for the air filtration system.
- The six HEPA 20 cartridge filters are found in a locker in Vault 22's "Oxygen Recycling" level; the reverse pulse cleaner is in a locker in Motor-Runner's "throne room" in Vault 3; the differential pressure controller is found in a locker in the flooded section of Vault 11's lower level.
- Return to Hidden Valley and give the parts to Lorenzo.
- If you oust McNamara, you will not be able to peacefully resolve the conflict between the Brotherhood and the NCR during the main NCR quest For the Republic, Part 2.
- The reports from the scouts at Camp Forlorn Hope and the NCR Correctional Facility will differ depending on how you completed the quests Restoring Hope or We Are Legion and I Fought the Law.
- You must first complete this quest before the player can join the Brotherhood, or recruit their help at Hoover Dam. If you have not completed this quest and then explain to the Elder that the NCR is looking to destroy them then he will show no concern and state that it would be difficult for the NCR to locate the bunker.
- Regardless of if you decided to help Hardin or McNamara, the lockdown will be lifted.
- Once completed, Power Armor Training will become available.
|1|| ||Speak to Elder McNamara|
|2|| ||Deal with an NCR Ranger who is camping in one of the bunkers of Hidden Valley|
|3|| ||Return to Elder McNamara with news that the ranger has been delt with.|
|4|| ||Speak to Elder McNamara in the command room.|
|5|| ||Find the missing Brotherhood patrol at REPCONN HQ and retrieve their mission holotape.|
|6|| ||Find the missing Brotherhood patrol at Nellis AFB and retrieve their mission holotape.|
|7|| ||Find the missing Brotherhood patrol at Black Mountain and retrieve their mission holotape.|
|8|| ||(Optional) Talk to Senior Paladin Ramos on Hardin's behalf.|
|9|| ||(Optional) Look at the brotherhood's history files relating to Elders being dismissed from their positions.|
|10|| ||(Optional) Ask Paladin Ramos about the Chain That Binds.|
|11|| ||(Optional) Check the datastore for more information on the Chain That Binds.|
|12|| ||(Optional) Return to Hardin with your findings about the Chain That Binds.|
|13|| ||(Optional) Help Head Paladin Hardin find a way to oust Elder McNamara from his position.|
|14|| ||(Optional) Return to Hardin with the lost patrols' mission discs.|
|15|| ||Return to Elder McNamara with the three patrol mission holotapes.|
|16|| ||Meet with a Brotherhood scout near the NCR Correctional Facility and collect his report.|
|17|| ||Meet with a Brotherhood scout near the town of Nipton and collect his report.|
|18|| ||Meet with a Brotherhood scout near Camp Forlorn Hope and collect his report.|
|19|| ||Return to Elder McNamara with the three scouts' reports.|
|20|| ||Search the vaults in the region for a differential pressure controller.|
|21|| ||Search the vaults in the region for a reverse pulse cleaner.|
|22|| ||Search the vaults in the region for several HEPA cartridge filters.|
|1|| ||Player snuck in and got caught by Ramos, who takes him/her to Elder McNamara.|
|2|| ||Player used a password found on one of the dead patrols, and is now directed by Ramos to speak to Elder McNamara.|
|3|| ||Player entered with Veronica, and is now directed to see Elder McNamara.|
|10|| ||Player either snuck in or used a password, and has now been tasked with proving him/herself by dealing with the Ranger who's set up shop topside.|
|15|| ||The player has dealt with the ranger and returned, and Elder McNamara has asked that he/she come talk to him in the command room about something confidential.|
|20|| ||Having proven him/herself or entered with Veronica, the player is tasked to find all of the missing Brotherhood Patrols, which are located in Black Mountain, REPCONN HQ, and near Nellis.|
|30|| ||Now McNamara wants the player to retrieve the reports of scouts sent to investigate the state of the NCR. The scouts can be found near NCRCF, Nipton, and Forlorn Hope.|
|40|| ||McNamara confides to the player that the bunker's systems are failing, and sends the player to find the components to fix them.|
|100|| ||After dutifully completing all of McNamara's missions, the Brotherhood decides to once again emerge from their isolation, still led by Elder McNamara.|
|101|| ||After the player reports the chapter's peril to Hardin, the Head Paladin calls for a vote of no faith in McNamara's leadership, resulting in his demotion into a knight and Hardin's assumption of the title.|
|200|| ||The quest failed, likely because Elder McNamara died.|
- "Still in the Dark" is a double meaning; it both refers to the 1950 blues song "Still in the Dark" by Big Joe Turner and also implies that the Brotherhood of Steel are "still in the dark" (hiding from outside world in Hidden Valley) and try to get out of their overture by the help of the Courier.
- According to HVRangerRadioScript, it was possible to fix the snooping NCR Ranger's radio at some point. It's unclear what purpose this would achieve, but the script even notes this outcome was cut from the game. There are also cut dialogue topics for this e.g. VDialogueHiddenValleyHVRangerTopic005 ("You might want to know that I fixed your radio earlier."), but the reply dialogue has been removed. There's also a cut topic where you can tell him about the Brotherhood of Steel base that was later rewritten as a new topic.
- ED-E My Love and you have been asked to talk to Lorenzo giving him ED-E will make him disappear, leaving you unable to complete Still in the Dark. This can be solved by simply waiting a few days until ED-E returns to Primm.
If you are doing the quest
- ED-E My Love, if Lorenzo has asked to look at ED-E, he will not accept the filtration system parts when you have ED-E with you. Simply fire ED-E, talk to Lorenzo, and rehire ED-E.
In the course of completing the quest
- prid 000e2f87, then kill, then resurrect. Exit the console and he will proceed to his chair in the command room. Note: If you exit the console after entering "kill" but before entering "resurrect," Elder McNamara will die and you will fail the quest.
After dealing with the NCR ranger and returning to McNamara, he could possibly wander into the wall with the first array of turrets, and freeze there. Solution: Enter the console, select Elder McNamara with your mouse or type
- resetquest 0015d79d, setstage 0015d79d 3, setstage 0015d79d 20.
If you give the holotapes to the elder and continue his quest line, then give the tapes to Hardin, you may effectively lock both quest lines. The effect will be that Hardin will say he'll be busy a few days (taking down the elder), and the elder will say he must prepare his defense. Neither will ever change from this state, no matter how long you wait. To fix this on PC, enter the command prompt (`), then enter the commands:
Or if you didn't enter with Veronica's help: resetquest 0015d79d, setstage 0015d79d 2, setstage 0015d79d 10, setstage 0015d79d 15, setstage 0015d79d 20
- Then either immediately give the tapes to Hardin and tell him about the second part of the chain, at which point the quest should complete, or never give him the tapes and finish the elder's quest line.
- Lorenzo about the filtration system before Hardin takes over you can still turn in the parts to him and he will direct you to the elder, but McNamara will no longer have the completion dialog. You must pick one or the other.
Helping Hardin to take over the chapter and repairing the filtration system are intended to be mutually exclusive quests. However as long as you have spoken to
Upon completion of Still in the Dark, if started with Veronica, whomever you choose to be Elder may be stuck and you will not be able to start the other quests.
When at the part of the quest to collect the reports once you have all three and return to the bunker the game will freeze (black screen) when trying to enter, to get around this if you have companions with you ask them to wait whilst you are outside the bunker, then enter and you will be able to continue, get you next mission then on leaving the bunker just ask your companions to follow you.
After ousting McNamara while still in the quest "I Could Make You Care" certain dialog with Veronica will put you in an endless cycle of talking without any way getting out of it other than loading a save.
On completion of the quest, the door back to the Hidden Valley Bunker may become locked, leaving you trapped in the bunker. The door cannot be opened without a key, but a key can be pickpocketed from various members of the Brotherhood within the bunker.
|Act 1||Ain't That a Kick in the Head · Back in the Saddle · By a Campfire on the Trail · They Went That-a-Way · Ring-a-Ding-Ding!|
|Act 2||Wild Card (Wild Card: Ace in the Hole, Change in Management, You and What Army?, Side Bets, Finishing Touches) · The House Always Wins (I, II, III, IV, V, VI, VII, VIII) · Render Unto Caesar · Et Tumor, Brute? · Things That Go Boom · Kings' Gambit · For the Republic, Part 2 · You'll Know It When It Happens/Arizona Killer|
|Act 3||No Gods, No Masters · All or Nothing · Veni, Vidi, Vici · Eureka!|
|Other||Come Fly With Me · Crazy, Crazy, Crazy · Ghost Town Gunfight · Guess Who I Saw Today · Left My Heart · My Kind of Town · The Legend of the Star and A Valuable Lesson · Unfriendly Persuasion · Wheel of Fortune|
|Companion quests||ED-E My Love · For Auld Lang Syne · Heartache by the Number · I Could Make You Care · I Forgot to Remember to Forget · Nothin' But a Hound Dog · One For My Baby|
|Unmarked quests||A Bit of Slap and Tickle · Access Powers · All Fired Up! · Andy and Charlie · Arachnophobia · Arizona Scavenger · Barton the Fink · Bear Necessities · Big Winner (Atomic Wrangler, The Gomorrah, The Tops, Ultra-Luxe, Vikki & Vance) · Bounty Killer (I, II) · Brotherhood Bond (I, II) · Caching in at the Cove · Cajoling a Cudgel · Claws Mended · Claws Out · Dealing with Contreras · Defacing the Humble Stone · Democracy Inaction · Don't Poke at the Bear · Eddie's Emissary · Exhumin' Nature · Flogging a Dead Corpse · Friend of the Followers · Getting a Leg Up from Andy · Gland for Some Home Cooking · Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger · Hat's Entertainment · Help for Halford · Hidden Valley computer virus · Highway to the Danger Zone (I, II) · Honorary Rocketeer · I Love Bananas · Iron and Stealing · Keith's Caravan Charade · Laurifer Gladiator · Lenk's Bad Debts · Lily and Leo · Long-Term Care · Malleable Mini Boomer Minds · Maud's Muggers · Meeting an Equal · Missing a Few Missiles · Not Worth a Hill of Corn and Beans · Of Boomers and Education · Old School Ghoul · A Pair of Dead Desperados (I, II) · Papers, Please · Pistol Packing · Playing on the Old Joana · Poor Meat Never Makes Good Soup · Powder to the People · Power to the People · Proper Burial · Razzle Dazzle! · Reach for the Sky, Mister! · Rest and Resupply · Ringo's Caravan Rules · Rotface's Loose Lips · The Screams of Brahmin · Silus Treatment · Short-Term Treatment · Smooth-Talking Criminal · Strategic Nuclear Moose · Straus Calls · Strip Search · Saving (or Savaging) Sergeant Teddy · Stocking Up · Suits You, Sarah · A Team of Moronic Mercenaries · Team Spirit · The Thorn Mayhem · Thought for the Day · Tourist Traipse · Trudy's Radio Repair · A Trusted Aide · Useless Baubles or Fancy Trinkets? · We Must Stop Beating Like This · We Must Stop Meeting Like This (I, II, III, IV) · Wind-Brahmin Wrangler · You Gotta Break Out a Few Eggs · You Make Me Feel Like a Woman|
| Cut quests||Auto-Inject Quest · Bright and Shiny · Chip Provenance · Debug Topics · Jailhouse Rock · Meat of Champions (quest) · TempMan · The Thorn Mayhem · Underpass Water Purifier · Viva Las Vegas! · Welcome to Fabulous New Vegas|