|DPS (reload)||105.2 (207.5)|
|crit dmg||48||crit % mult||x1|
|ammo type||12.7mm round|
|ammo cap.||10||reload time||2 (1.5)|
The Survivalist's rifle is a weapon in the Fallout: New Vegas add-on Honest Hearts.
This weapon was originally a U.S. checkpoint guard carbine used in Canada, issued from the Long Branch Arsenal in Toronto, Ontario, USA territory. Chambered with the 12.7mm round, this rifle was supposed to offer guards the firepower necessary to intercept anyone attempting to breach a checkpoint, regardless of equipment.
Survivalist's rifle expanded
This particular rifle is the unique variant of the service rifle. Compared to the standard variant, the barrel of this rifle is shorter in length, but wider in diameter to accept the 12.7mm rounds it chambered for. It once belonged to Randall Clark, an ex-U.S. army serviceman who found himself seeking refuge in Zion National Park following the Great War. The Survivalist's rifle was used by the Survivalist for decades and shows signs of improvised repair such as clamps on the foregrip wood and mismatched wood furniture. The front sight is also bent and damaged. Randall Clark apparently couldn't repair it, using it as-is. Using the upper right side of the bent front sight as your aiming point corrects this, providing a usable, albeit confusing, solution to this problem.
In terms of in-game performance, the rifle has a quick rate of fire, relatively low spread, respectable AP cost, and a high damage that can be raised considerably with Grunt; the damage is slightly higher than This Machine loaded with regular .308 rounds if Grunt is taken, but the Survivalist's rifle shoots faster and is far more accurate. Even if This Machine is loaded with .308 JSPs, the damage difference isn't substantial and can be mitigated by using 12.7 JHPs from the Gun Runners' Arsenal add-on.
However, it uses rare 12.7mm rounds that generally must be bought from vendors, and the high rate of fire makes it relatively easy to expend surplus ammunition if not careful. The spread is high enough where a sniper rifle may be a better option for very long ranges. The bent iron-sights, which can be rectified, may require a bit of practice if using true iron sights.
| Service rifle
|| Semi-auto rifle
|| 5.56mm round
|| Gun:25 Strength:2
| Survivalist's rifle
|| Semi-auto rifle
|| 12.7mm round
|| Guns:75 Strength:4
Found at the Red Gate in a survivalist hidden cache marked "The Survivalist's Duffle Bag" next to Randall Clark's skeleton. Yao guai, giant cazadores, green geckos, and/or bighorners may be found here as well. During The Advance Scouts quest, White Legs may find the rifle and take it to use. The player will have to kill them to get the rifle.
- The United States roundel on this weapon features 13 stars around a central large star.
 Behind the scenes
- The French word "Arrêt", translated as the words "stop" or "halt", on one side of the stock is paired with "Stop" written in English on the other side of the rifle's stock. This, combined with information from Randall Clark's terminal entries, indicates that this rifle was used during the U.S. occupation of a bilingual area of Canada. However, the way it is written on the rifle is in noun form so it would be closer to "a stop" (e.g. a bus stop) as found on stop signs in French.
- The Survivalist's rifle was loosely based on the .50 Beowulf AR-15 platform conversion.
- Above the trigger the words "LONG BRANCH ARSENAL ONTARIO, USA TERRITORY" are present. Long Branch is actually found in the southwest end of Toronto, Ontario. Historically during WWI and WWII, a small area further west of Long Branch known as Port Credit manufactured rifles used by the Canadian forces during the wars.
Close-up on the details on the receiver
- Honest Hearts before retrieving the rifle and a non-player character has picked up the rifle, you will not be able to acquire the rifle; all non-player characters besides enemies disappear from Zion upon completion of the add-on, and the White Legs that spawn near the Red Gate are also disabled.needs verification
If you complete
- ↑ The weapon's writing
- ↑  Description according to Josh Sawyer.
- ↑  According to J.E. Sawyer