The Den is an anarchistic place where a kind of Darwinian struggle is played out. Only the strongest, fastest or smartest will survive here.”— Tubby, drug store owner
The Den can be found six squares east and three squares south of Arroyo.
Around 2241 the Den might be considered a "mini-New Reno. They are both semi-stable, but have no central authority: while the Den is more focused on slaving, and New Reno is more focused on prostitution, they both share an economy dependent on gambling, prostitution, drugs, and slavery.
Less than a year after the defeat of the Enclave, Myron was stabbed by a jet addict while drinking in the Den.
The Den is divided into two districts, with an additional unimplemented location accessible through an exploit or the main menu Recording feature.
 West Side
The West Side is where most of the shops are. It is home to Becky's casino and a Brotherhood of Steel outpost. In the lower area of the west side is Smitty's Workshop where he has a working car that needs a battery.
|Loot in West Side|
 East Side
The East Side is where the Slaver's Guild has its headquarters. There is also an old church, a graveyard, Mom's Diner, and the Hole Bar. Digging up any grave besides Anna's will cause you to lose a bunch of Karma. The graves in the graveyard, starting with the one in the upper right, can be dug up for some items.
|Loot in East Side|
|The following is based on Fallout 2 cut content and has not been confirmed by canon sources.|
There is also a part called the Residential, but it can only be accessed by pressing button 3 when you have the picture of the Den shown. It is home for the citizens of Den. There is also another Smitty, but he won't talk to you. Near him, in a locker, is a shovel. Since it can't be accessed through "normal" means, it is likely it was cut from the game.
|Loot in Residental|
|End of information based on Fallout 2 cut content.|
 Related quests
- Collect money from Fred
- Get book from Derek
- Lara wants to know what is being guarded in the church
- Get permission from Metzger for gang war
- Find weakness in Tyler's gang guarding the church
- Help Lara attack Tyler's gang
- Deliver a meal to Smitty for Mom
- Free Vic from his debt by getting his radio from his house in Klamath and paying Metzger
- Sabotage Becky's still
- Get car part for Smitty
- Return Anna's locket
- It should be stressed that the orphaned children in the Den can also steal vital quest items and there is no information to the player if they do so. You can steal the items back anytime, though.
- Sometimes the children will take the stolen items to Tubby or Flick, who will then sell them in their shop - even unique items such as keys. Oddly, killing Flick and Tubby does not seem to put a stop to the thievery.
- The Den was one of the few areas (along with Vault City) that ended up being close to the original vision of the creators of the first Fallout, before they left Interplay.
The Den appears only in Fallout 2.
- ↑ Leanne's dialogue: lines 119-161
- ↑ Fallout 2 endings
- ↑ Jas Wilkins: "The Raiders are mostly gone now and it's easy enough to get a job at one of the mills or farms. But now there's taxes and laws and other things."