Following in His Footsteps
Following in His Footsteps
 Quick walkthrough
- Find out where your father is from Colin Moriarty.
- Make your way to Chevy Chase via Farragut West metro station.
- Get to the GNR Building Plaza.
- Talk to Three Dog about your father's whereabouts.
 Detailed walkthrough
 Megaton and beyond
In Megaton, everyone will point you to the saloon owner, Colin Moriarty, who will offer to tell you where your dad is if you give him 100 caps. If you do not accept the offer, he will ask for 300 the next time you talk to him. You can also use a Speech check to convince Moriarty that your father told you about him or choose certain dialog options to get him to give you a discount, provided you agree to kill Silver and bring back the caps she stole. See 300 Pieces of Silver for details.
For bad karma, one can alternatively steal the password to Moriarty's terminal out of a cabinet next to it or you can pass a Speech check with Gob, that will tell you about Moriarty's terminal. If you ask him about the terminal after the Speech check he will tell you that Nova has the password; you can try to pass a Speech check or use Lady Killer to seduce her into giving you the password. Killing him and looting the password off his corpse works well too. However you obtain the information, it leads you to Galaxy News Radio.
Head to the southeast and enter Farragut West metro station; you may encounter super mutants and raiders along the way. Inside the station, room with mole rats has a stairway leading downwards. Climb more stairs to find a chain gate with a number of ghouls behind it. Beyond that will be yet another stairway and a door to Tenleytown/Friendship Station. If you follow the tunnels south, you should exit in Chevy Chase but watch out for a super mutant and more ghouls.
 Galaxy News Radio
Near the exit to Chevy Chase North the player will find Sentinel Sarah Lyons with a squad of Brotherhood of Steel soldiers from Lyons' Pride. If spoken with, Sarah will allow the player to accompany her squad to the GNR Building Plaza, clearing out the super mutants in the nearby Early Dawn Elementary in the process. The player may then aid the Pride in an assault on the super mutants attacking the Galaxy News Radio building. Once the other mutants are dead, a super mutant behemoth breaks through a destroyed bus, which the PC may optionally help destroy. The Fat Man nuclear launcher on the dead Brotherhood soldier in the central fountain will heavily damage the behemoth and can make the fight much easier.
Depending on how fast you take the behemoth down and who dies in the process, your conversation with the remaining soldiers goes differently. Use the intercom to the right of the door to get inside the GNR Building. Once inside, talk to the radio DJ, Three Dog. You have two options at this point. If you have high enough Speech, you can persuade him that your father will aid his cause upon your rescue. Doing this will give you the Scientific Pursuits quest. However if you have insufficient speech, he will give you the Galaxy News Radio quest, which you will have to complete first to get Scientific Pursuits.
- If the player speaks to Dr. Li, enters the Jefferson Memorial, or rescues James before visiting Galaxy News Radio, the Lyon's Pride will not spawn in Chevy Chase, therefore the Lone Wanderer must fight the many super mutants on their own. The Brotherhood of Steel knights still guard the GNR building but the Fat Man wielding brother will not spawn, and therefore the 8 mini nukes are unavailable as well.
- In his GNR broadcast, Three Dog will explicitly mention James' arrival at GNR before the player has learned this from Moriarty. However, learning about this from the radio is not sufficient to advance that portion of the quest and will not mark Galaxy News Radio on the map.
- Sentinel Lyons, she will repeat her dialogue "You can tag along with us as far as GNR." A similar glitch occurs when, even after defeating the behemoth, the doors to GNR remain locked, even though the BoS soldiers enter it. There is an occasional glitch where the super mutant behemoth will not be triggered to appear. GNR doors' will stay closed forever, and the BoS soldiers will reach the fountain and then wander around the plaza aimlessly. If you speak to
- It is possible that, after entering GNR and leaving right away, the generic paladins will become hostile and attack you, if you kill any of them the others (Lyons, Vargas, etc.) will also attack and you will receive bad karma.
- The behemoth sometimes appears in the wrong spot, and can easily be defeated as it cannot move. GNR's doors will still open. Instead of a destroyed bus, it will spawn on a small hill near the doors.