Fallout: New Vegas locations project
|For an actual sink, see Fallout 3 and New Vegas miscellaneous world objects. For the artificial intelligence personality in The Sink, see Sink (computer).|
Originally owned by Mobius, The Sink served as a test bed for several personality subroutines. When Mobius abandoned it, he removed the personality chips and flung over the balcony, disabling many of the various functions of its modules. After meeting with Dr. Klein and the other researchers, The Sink becomes a home for the Courier and can be upgraded with holotapes found throughout the Big MT.
The Sink consists of five rooms connected to a central hub containing the Sink Central Intelligence Unit, Book Chute and the Sink Auto-Doc. It contains a workbench and a reloading bench with a crate beside it, and a locker above each of them. A small map shows most of the locations in the Big MT. The main entrance foyer contains both a Nuka-Cola vending machine and a Sunset Sarsaparilla vending machine along with exits to The Think Tank and Big MT.
A small agricultural room contains an electric hot plate along with the biological research station, space for growing plants and a Sink for washing up. A large living room consists of a couch and table overlooking a large screen displaying a loop of the Old World Blues opening slideshow. Toaster sits on a table in the corner alongside Light Switch 01 which is mounted on the wall. The bedroom is equipped with a queen sized bed, a set of lockers, chest, footlocker, safe, and several shelves. Additionally, Muggy's original location is in the corner and Light Switch 02 is located here to the left of the door leading to the living room. Behind a door, initially locked at the beginning of Old World Blues, the player's brain, spine, and heart can be seen if they are currently removed from the Courier's body.
The Sink can be upgraded by finding back-up personality holotapes scattered around Big MT. Many appliances are available for reactivation and upgrading, including:
 Sink Auto-Doc
The Auto-Doc in the Sink is a far superior model to other Auto-Docs, because of its multiple functions. It is the only object that offers cosmetic surgery to the Courier and offers several, although pricey, implants after finding them in the Big MT. The Auto-Doc can also heal you fully, including removing all radiation and addictions. Although it is not licensed to perform psychoanalysis, it can try it out once, allowing for the rearrangement of traits.
 Biological research station
The biological research station is the mojo mac-daddy of all things agricultural. It has the ability to clone any dried plants found in seed bags in the Big Empty, and also can process other plant matter into salient green, the green goo that can create plants when heated over a hotplate or campfire.
 Blind Diode Jefferson
The music-less jukebox in the Sink is the upgrade hub of all things pertaining to the sonic emitter. After finding holotapes with certain frequencies in the Big Empty, Jefferson can tune any sonic emitter pistol to that frequency giving the pistol different and unique properties.
 Book Chute
The Book Chute is a Communist-hating destroyer of "sedition". It plans to destroy all things that resemble knowledge, and all things which might aid in independent thought, such as pencils. After its upgrades it can break down any pre-War book, clean or destroyed, into blank books. It can also break pencils into lead and scrap metal, as well as clipboards into duct tape and scrap metal.
 Light Switch 01
Light Switch 01 is found in the room next to the Toaster, and has a more laid back personality than Light Switch 02. Its second upgrade provides the option for lighting that raises Intelligence, Science and Repair skills for 12 hours after exposure.
 Light Switch 02
Light Switch 02 is located in the bedroom area and possesses an expressed hatred towards Light Switch 01 for its professed superiority of larger processors. Its upgrade provides the option for lighting that raises Charisma, Barter, and Speech for 12 hours after exposure.
This tiny neurotic Securitron has an addiction for all things relating to dishware, like cups, plates, and especially mugs. Its second upgrade allows it to create a small supply of energy cells, scrap electronics and other things once every day.
The actual, water basin-associated sink in the Sink is a germaphobe that acts as a source of clean water, and after being upgraded, can fill up any empty bottle (Empty Nuka-Cola bottle, Milk bottle, etc.) with water turning it into purified water.
 Sink Central Intelligence Unit
The Central Intelligence Unit acts as the hub for all the appliances in the Sink. It can turn on or off the personality matrices in the area, leaving them to function in a quieter state. It also acts as the snobbish merchant and repairer of goods. It does restock items like other merchants, although only after 3 days inside the Big MT.
An evil toaster with aspirations of a second Armageddon which can turn plain Saturnite fists into the Saturnite fist super-heated. It has a sadistic personality and loves ripping apart other small and helpless appliances, such as cameras, irons, hot plates, and even other toasters, into their basic components, acting as a source of energy cells and scrap materials for the work bench or reloading bench.
- The music that plays while you're in The Sink is the Lost Hills theme of Fallout (named "Metallic Monks" in the Fallout soundtrack), which is the same music that can be heard at The Strip North Gate.
- There is a chart on the wall displaying all upgrades made to the stealth suit Mk II.
- In the Sink bedroom, there is a Securitron blueprint above Muggy's original position and a movie poster for "RALPHIE", which depicts an eyebot on a similar long journey to that of ED-E's.
- The player can find a dead Followers doctor at the base of the tower, wearing a Followers lab coat and carrying some stimpaks.
- The force field in front of the balcony can be disabled by shooting it with an upgraded sonic emitter, but the player still cannot climb or jump off the balcony onto the roofs below.
- The player can sometimes see lobotomites moving around on the ground below, but it is extremely difficult to shoot at them. Despite its appearance, the balcony railing blocks bullets, and it is almost impossible to get high enough to shoot over the railing unless you jump and shoot while in the air. Because of its curving trajectory, a grenade launcher will be more effective here.
- One of the disadvantages for having this as the player's main base is that if the player has any followers, they will have to be dismissed every-time the player decides to use the transponder. This can become a hassle as the player then has to go and tell the followers to follow them again.
 Behind the scenes
- David Lieu created the tileset and handled the propping and lighting in the location.
- The Sink as a location as a homebase was inspired by the menagerie of homebase mods made by modders.
- The CIU in the sink does not always give you the caps for the items that you sell. It is recommended that the player save before any transactions so that they do not lose the items to the CIU.
- All My Friends Have Off Switches. The game may crash upon ending the initial conversation with the Sink Central Intelligence Unit, making it impossible to begin the quest
- The force field on the balcony is not present even at the beginning of the add-on.
- When entering the Sink, the two white horsenettle plants can be seen falling from the ceiling down through the planter and through the floor over and over. Also, the plants can only be harvested once. The plants may be harvestable again after completing Old World Blues, returning to the Mojave, and then returning to Big MT.
- cup, it will roll 'into' the ground and re-emerge in between the workbench and the exit to the observation area. In the bedroom, on the right side of the bed, if you drop an item such as a
- When throwing a proton throwing axe or a proton inversal throwing axe anywhere in the Sink, sparks appear out of the wall right behind the workbench.
- The CIU has a 32,000 cap's level glitch. If you let it's caps total get above 32,000 it will not let this total go below that level. It will still accept anything you sell it but will not give you caps if it will take the caps total below 32,000. It will also do this at 64,000. Use the Buy/Sell trick with a broken and a perfect item to get around this.