Things That Go Boom is a side quest in Fallout: New Vegas.
 Quick walkthrough
- Speak with Ambassador Dennis Crocker at the NCR Embassy.
- Travel to Nellis Air Force Base and ask Pearl how you can help the Boomers.
- Become idolized by the Boomers.
- Ask Pearl for the Boomers help in the upcoming battle.
- Return to Crocker at the embassy and report that the Boomers have pledged their support.
 Detailed walkthrough
After coming out of the Lucky 38 for the first time, an NCR trooper will approach you and ask you to visit Ambassador Dennis Crocker at the NCR Embassy. The embassy is in the last southernmost section of the New Vegas Strip (farthest from the north gate). Crocker is in the building on the left once you enter the front gate. Once inside, go through the door on your left to the end of the hall to find Crocker.
Crocker will ask you to get the Boomers to support the NCR. Follow the map to Nellis Air Force Base and talk to Pearl to learn how to win their support. Complete enough Boomers side quests to become idolized by the Boomers. Volare! is by far the best quest to complete, simply due to the fact that it gives the most Boomers fame.
Once you have become idolized by the Boomers, return to Crocker and inform him that they have pledged their support. You will complete the quest and gain NCR fame. If your reputation with the NCR is bad, completing this quest will reset it to Neutral.
 Journal entries
|1|| ||Ambassador Crocker has told me about the Boomer quest. I haven't accepted yet.|
|2|| ||Convince the Boomers to aid you in the upcoming battle.|
|3|| ||Return to Ambassador Crocker and let him know of the results of meeting with the Boomers.|
|4||Return to Ambassador Crocker and let him know the Boomers will help you.|
|5||I've told Ambassador Crocker that the Boomers will not help.|
|6||Ambassador Crocker found out that I've already pledged the Boomer's support and is disappointed.|
- This quest disregards your reputation with NCR, even if you are Vilified with them you still are allowed to enter the embassy and talk to Crocker.
- The wording may be a bit misleading. What the quest's completion actually does is that the negative reputation pool is reset to zero.
- This quest may sometimes not be completable if the player is already idolized by the Boomers. The ambassador cannot be found afterward if they say "Actually, I already know them. We're good friends." and not follow up with "They have promised to help me." and the quest will be marked as incomplete/failed. They can try to go back to Boomers and speak with Pearl to ask her, if they will help in upcoming battle at Hoover Dam, that seems to solve the problem if there is no dialogue option with ambassador.
- Sometimes, upon receiving this quest from Crocker, an NCR MP Officer will approach the player and say "This is what happens when you cross the NCR," and attack the player regardless of their NCR reputation. This can simply be fixed by reloading to the auto save of when they first entered the embassy. The trick is to get outside after getting the quest before he can approach you.
- The NCR reputation may reset to accepted (even it was at idolized by the NCR before quest starts).
|Act 1||Ain't That a Kick in the Head · Back in the Saddle · By a Campfire on the Trail · They Went That-a-Way · Ring-a-Ding-Ding!|
|Act 2||Wild Card (Wild Card: Ace in the Hole, Change in Management, You and What Army?, Side Bets, Finishing Touches) · The House Always Wins (I, II, III, IV, V, VI, VII, VIII) · Render Unto Caesar · Et Tumor, Brute? · Things That Go Boom · Kings' Gambit · For the Republic, Part 2 · You'll Know It When It Happens/Arizona Killer|
|Act 3||No Gods, No Masters · All or Nothing · Veni, Vidi, Vici · Eureka!|
|Other||Come Fly With Me · Crazy, Crazy, Crazy · Ghost Town Gunfight · Guess Who I Saw Today · Left My Heart · My Kind of Town · The Legend of the Star and A Valuable Lesson · Unfriendly Persuasion · Wheel of Fortune|
|Companion quests||ED-E My Love · For Auld Lang Syne · Heartache by the Number · I Could Make You Care · I Forgot to Remember to Forget · Nothin' But a Hound Dog · One For My Baby|
|Unmarked quests||A Bit of Slap and Tickle · Access Powers · All Fired Up! · Andy and Charlie · Arachnophobia · Arizona Scavenger · Barton the Fink · Bear Necessities · Big Winner (Atomic Wrangler, The Gomorrah, The Tops, Ultra-Luxe, Vikki & Vance) · Bounty Killer (I, II) · Brotherhood Bond (I, II) · Caching in at the Cove · Cajoling a Cudgel · Claws Mended · Claws Out · Dealing with Contreras · Defacing the Humble Stone · Democracy Inaction · Don't Poke at the Bear · Eddie's Emissary · Exhumin' Nature · Fight Night · Flogging a Dead Corpse · Friend of the Followers · Getting a Leg Up from Andy · Gland for Some Home Cooking · Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger · Hat's Entertainment · Help for Halford · Hidden Valley computer virus · Highway to the Danger Zone (I, II) · Honorary Rocketeer · I Love Bananas · Iron and Stealing · Keith's Caravan Charade · Laurifer Gladiator · Lenk's Bad Debts · Lily and Leo · Long-Term Care · Malleable Mini Boomer Minds · Maud's Muggers · Meeting an Equal · Missing a Few Missiles · Not Worth a Hill of Corn and Beans · Old School Ghoul · A Pair of Dead Desperados (I, II) · Papers, Please · Pistol Packing · Playing on the Old Joana · Poor Meat Never Makes Good Soup · Powder to the People · Power to the People · Proper Burial · Razzle Dazzle! · Reach for the Sky, Mister! · Rest and Resupply · Ringo's Caravan Rules · Rotface's Loose Lips · The Screams of Brahmin · Silus Treatment · Short-Term Treatment · Smooth-Talking Criminal · Strategic Nuclear Moose · Straus Calls · Strip Search · Saving (or Savaging) Sergeant Teddy · Stocking Up · Suits You, Sarah · A Team of Moronic Mercenaries · Team Spirit · Thought for the Day · Tourist Traipse · Trudy's Radio Repair · A Trusted Aide · Useless Baubles or Fancy Trinkets? · We Must Stop Beating Like This · We Must Stop Meeting Like This (I, II, III, IV) · Wind-Brahmin Wrangler · You Gotta Break Out a Few Eggs · You Make Me Feel Like a Woman|