United States Armed Forces
Fallout faction overhaul project
The United States Armed Forces were the overall unified military forces of the United States before the Great War, composed of the United States Army, United States Marine Corps, United States Navy, United States Coast Guard, and United States Air Force. The President of the United States served as the Commander-in-Chief of the military, with the Secretary of War, Department of War, and Department of Defense acting as the principal organ by which military policy was carried out.
After the Great War, remnants of the United States Armed Forces formed various groups and settlements. The biggest known organizations were the Enclave military forces formed by the remnents of the pre-war shadow government. Followed in size by the Brotherhood of Steel, who where formed from former U.S. soldiers who originally rebelled because of their governments unethical activities.
 Before the War
By 2077, the U.S. Armed Forces were the world's most powerful military force. The only rival was the People's Liberation Army of China, with which the Armed Forces clashed during the Sino-American War, both in the Alaskan campaign (which included Anchorage) and numerous offensive campaigns waged in China.
The Armed Forces were primarily using energy weapons (laser and plasma) in the field, although due to slow production rates, many troops, in particular on the Anchorage Front Line, were still using regular firearms (such as the R91 assault rifle). Regular infantrymen, regardless of specialization, wore polymer combat armor (Anchorage troops used special winterized versions), while suits of power armor were reserved for Mechanized Cavalry units and special detachments (e.g. Colonel Spindel's group at Mariposa).
In a supportive role, the Army deployed robots―Sentry bots and combat versions of the popular Mister Handy―Mister Gutsy. Aerial support was to be provided by next-generation tiltrotor aircraft, the VB-02 Vertibirds, though they were scheduled to enter service in 2083, prototypes may have seen combat at Anchorage.
Fighter support was common and many patrolled the U.S. coastline and its national waters.
Army units were deployed in Alaska, 2067 to fend off the Chinese military. Later in the Sino-America war, Army units were deployed in China with the USMC. Military police were involved in Executive Order 99066.
 Marine Corps
The Marine Corps served as the spearhead of the American counter-invasion of China during the war, due to their specialization in amphibious operations. Marines were also tasked with maintaining internment camps for Chinese and Chinese-American prisoners.
The only known remaining Naval ship of the United States Navy is the Aircraft Carrier used as a settlement known as Rivet City. Located on the East Coast in Washington D.C. The U.S. Navy was also deployed during the Anchorage Reclamation, as two vessels, USS Ebon Atoll and USS Interference, are mentioned in Fallout 3. There is also a Naval recruiting center and a crashed Naval jet in the Point Lookout region.
 Air Force
The United States had many Air Force bases throughout the country, some of which are, Adams Air Force Base in Virgina, Nellis Air Force Base in the Mojave Desert, and Elmendorf Air Force Base in Alaska.
Air Force roundel
 National Guard
- Main article: National Guard
The National Guard was a reserve branch of the Army and primarily served as a domestic defense and disaster relief force during peacetime. However, they could be and often were deployed abroad as front-line troops in wartime.
Another checkpoint near Northwest Seneca Station, set up to bar civilians from entering a radiation cleanup area after the war
 Notable operations
- By far, the most notable operation is the Anchorage Reclamation, an 11-year campaign to liberate Alaska from the Chinese invaders. Ultimately successful, it was the first large-scale deployment of newly developed T-51b power armor units.
- The annexation of Canada was also performed by the United States military, whose units were also dedicated to keeping the peace―by any means necessary.
- Veterans of the Anchorage campaign were also deployed against their fellow countrymen, to contain food riots.
- The Gobi Campaign, where the U.S. attempted to capture Chinese military facilities in the Gobi Desert. The Gobi Campaign scout rifle was designed for this campaign.
- The Yangtze Campaign, during which Nanjing and Shanghai were occupied by Marines equipped with new, high-tech weapons and armor.
 After the War
With the nuclear holocaust of 2077 and the dissolution of the chain of command, the U.S. Armed Forces effectively ceased to exist, becoming groups of isolated soldiers with no coordination. Two groups, the Enclave and the Brotherhood of Steel are known to be direct descendants (or include descendants of) the original United States Armed Forces.
- Artillery overlook
- Chugach Overlook Air Force station
- Elmendorf Air Force Base
- Fire Island Air Force Station
- US Army Field Headquarters
 West Coast
- Area 51, Nevada
- Mariposa Military Base, California
- Lost Hills Security Bunker, California
- Sierra Army Depot, California
- Toxic Waste Dump Security Bunker, Oregon
- Forward Depot, Oregon
- Nellis Air Force base, Nevada
- Hawthorne Army Depot, Nevada
- Hidden Valley, Nevada
- Hopeville Ballistic Defense Station
- Tibbets Military Prison, Arizona
- Los Alamos Nuclear Testing Facility, New Mexico
- MacArthur Army Base, Utah
- Bunker Alpha, Beta and Gamma (original names not known)
- Preoria facility, Illinois
- Cheyenne Mountain, Colorado
- Kansas City silo complex, Kansas
- Fort Worth, Texas
 East Coast
- Adams Air Force Base, Virginia
- Albany Terrorist Prison, New York
- Fort Bannister, Virginia
- Fort Constantine, Maryland
- Fort Independence, Virginia
- National Guard Depot, Washington D.C.
- Pentagon, Arlington County, Virginia.
- St. Aubin Medical Facility, Maryland
- Raven Rock, Virginia
- Turtledove Detention Camp, Maryland
- Wheaton Armory, Maryland
- Rivet City Aircraft Carrier, Washington D.C.
 See also
Hopeville missile base propaganda posters
 United States mainland
 Anchorage Reclamation
General Constantine Chase
 See also
- Internment orders
- Future Weapons Today!
- Turtledove Detention Camp terminal entries
- Blackbox recording
- Boomer flightsuit