Vault 13 canteen
|For Fallout/Fallout 2 miscellaneous item, see Water flask.|
Vault 13 canteen
You take a sip from your trusty Vault 13 canteen.”
Characteristics[edit | edit source]
As long as this canteen is kept in the player's inventory, the Courier will take a sip from it every five minutes, restoring 15 HP and lowering dehydration by 25 in Hardcore mode. An on-screen notification will tell the player when this happens. There is no animation for taking a drink, nor does it interrupt any other action; amusingly, it can even happen while the Courier is attacking an enemy in V.A.T.S, or while the courier is under water.
There is no way to forcibly take a drink, nor does the canteen ever run out of water; the five-minute timer starts when the canteen is placed in the player's inventory (not, interestingly, when a save is loaded) and runs in the background, even while the Pip-Boy is up. Under certain circumstances, such as when sleeping or fast travelling right before the hydration level reaches the trigger point, the player can skip this trigger point and become dehydrated.
Location[edit | edit source]
Notes[edit | edit source]
- Aesthetically, the canteen appears as a hip flask surrounded in a material coating featuring a "13" in distinctive vault jumpsuit coloring.
- This canteen is from the vault that the main protagonist of Fallout, the Vault Dweller, came from.
- This canteen is a great item to effortlessly stave off dehydration during Hardcore mode, especially because dehydration increases more quickly than either hunger or sleep deprivation. The canteen is not enough to single-handedly prevent the player from dehydration, however, and should always be supplemented with other water sources.
- In Fallout: New Vegas, the font used for the "13" is different from the font used in Fallout and Fallout 2.
- There is no player animation associated with drinking from the canteen; as with other Aid items, the screen notice, slight HP increase, and H2O meter drop are the only indications it is working.
- Using the canteen counts towards the Camel of the Mojave challenge.
Bugs[edit | edit source]
- The "You take a sip..." notification appears during the ending slideshow (of both the main game and all add-ons).