Fallout 3 locations project
Vault 87 is one of the vault series of fallout shelters developed by Vault-Tec to the west of Washington, D.C. It is located northwest of Little Lamplight and southwest of Broadcast tower KT8. It's the place of origin for the super mutants and centaurs in the Capital Wasteland.
Construction on Vault 87 began in May 2066 and finished in May 2071. It was to be a secondary research center that would study the effects of the Forced Evolutionary Virus on humans, exclusively for Dr Wayne Merrick and his staff. Using batch 11-111 as basis, the team attempted to create a virus batch that would result in reliable creation of super soldiers. However, despite the efforts of the science team, only inferior mutants were created: despite a substantial increase in size, strength and practical immunity to environmental hazards, the subjects suffered from considerable mental damage and extreme aggression towards their surroundings.
The Overseer and his security guards were well aware of the nature of the experimentation, they were following their orders from Vault-Tec. When some of the test subjects broke free, they quickly overwhelmed the security force, forcing everyone they captured to be exposed to FEV and join their ranks.
Since 2078, they are effectively a staple of the Capital Wasteland. The Vault 87 super mutants are obsessed with the preservation of their brand new species. Since they are all sterile, they kidnap humans from all over the Capital Wasteland and bring them to the vault to be mutated. They have been doing so for nearly 200 years, until their source of FEV started to run out. Because of the shortage of the "green stuff," there are now super mutant bands searching all over the Capital Wasteland for a new source of the virus.
|Started Construction||May 2066|
|Ended Construction||December 2071|
|Computer System||Cyberbrain v2.3|
|Primary Power Supply||General Atomics Nuclear power|
|Secondary Power Supply||Versicorps Fusion Power|
|Non-Standard Equipment|| Stasis Chamber (4)|
Plasma Containment Field (3)
Food Processing Station (6)
Above ground, the radiation near the entrance to Vault 87 peaks at well over 3,000 rads/second, which is fatal in a third of a second. According to information obtained from the G.E.C.K., the Overseer's terminal states, "I'm quite sad to report that due to a direct hit from what I presume to be a nuclear weapon on the entry area of Vault 87, we will be unable to provide the Scouting Reports as outlined in Vault-Tec's Operations Manual. The main door to Vault 87 is damaged beyond repair and we are detecting extremely high levels of lethal radiation outside and in the entry tunnel."
It is possible to reach the entrance through the extensive use of RadAway in combination with clothing providing radiation resistance and Rad-X. However, as the Overseer's message mentions, the door is inaccessible, making the Vault impossible to enter from above ground. The map marker will activate near the entrance. There is a dead scientist in a radiation suit that can be found near the Vault door, as can RadAway and Rad-X, presumably carried by the scientist but not enough to prevent his/her death by radiation poisoning.
Super mutants have built a barricade of broken girders and wrecked cars around the entrance. If you do decide to venture into this one-way death trap, be sure to defeat them before going in. Remember that super mutants can enter into a dense area of radiation without suffering any effects, like the possible companion Fawkes.
Strangely, you can fast travel from the vault's entrance despite the heavy radiation which normally prevents fast travel. Though, almost always, you will arrive dead.
An Enclave eyebot is usually seen patrolling south of the entrance.
 Accessing Vault 87
Before you can access Vault 87, you must complete The Waters of Life, a part of the main quest line, by speaking with Scribe Rothchild in the Citadel. You will then be sent there to recover the Garden of Eden Creation Kit also known as the G.E.C.K.
Vault 87 can only be accessed through Little Lamplight. The player will have the option of questioning Mayor MacCready about how to access it. The mayor will suggest taking Murder Pass. However, he will also inform the player that there is a broken computer terminal in Little Lamplight that will allow direct access to the Vault via a different, safer route. If you have the ability to access this route, it is highly recommended to take it, as Murder Pass is difficult to traverse without injury and will result in significant ammunition usage.
To access the terminal, the player must speak to Joseph (as directed by MacCready). Joseph can fix the broken terminal, allowing it to be hacked, but he will only do so if the player has rescued Penny from Paradise Falls, if the player has a high enough science or speech skill, or through the Child at Heart perk. Joseph can be found in the Little Lamplight schoolhouse in the morning. The player must have a Science skill of 50 to actually hack the computer to get into the Vault.
If Penny is not rescued, Joseph becomes upset through dialogue, by failing the speech check, the science check is not available, or not having the Child at Heart perk, entrance through Murder Pass will be the only option to get to Vault 87. Located north of the souvenir building, Murder Pass houses several super mutants armed with heavy weaponry like missile launchers and miniguns. There are also a number of traps, so a careful approach is recommended. Mayor MacCready will open the gate for you if asked. Murder Pass is a good choice for earning experience. It also contains several medical cabinets, a decent amount of ammunition, and a Nuka-Cola Quantum.
Vault 87 is very similar to all the other vaults a player may visit during the game, with narrow, confusing corridors and small rooms connected by the main lobby. Once inside the dimly lit Vault, the player will encounter super mutants, centaurs, super mutant brutes, masters and super mutant overlords (if Broken Steel is installed). Super mutants take pride in mutilating the corpses of humans they kill in combat, hence the many skeletons and gore bags found throughout the vault. The player can also find the remains of failed FEV subjects.
Eventually, the player will encounter a friendly super mutant named Fawkes, who was sealed in a test chamber and left there decades before. Fawkes, via the intercom, will offer his services in acquiring the G.E.C.K. in return for the player freeing him from his cell. Though the player need not free Fawkes, the super mutant (if freed) will indeed honor this bargain, and will help the player acquire the G.E.C.K. by serving as a guide, as well as attacking any future enemies encountered, and finally, retrieving the device itself from its highly irradiated resting place. Further, if the player has good karma, Fawkes can be recruited as a follower later on. It's highly recommended to free him, because after the next quest (The American Dream) when you are in Raven Rock, he is practically invincible and wields a Gatling laser.
There are two methods to free Fawkes. First, in the room at the end of the right hallway, you can set off the fire alarm in a room inhabited by two super mutant variants, which will open all five isolation rooms. However, this is not recommended, as in the process, two centaurs and a hostile non-player character will also be freed. It is advisable that the player instead should hack the average-rated terminal located next to the fire alarm to unlock an individual chamber, of which Fawkes' cell is the fifth.
 Original occupants
This section is needed but has not been written yet. You can help The Vault by writing it.
Peter Stevens's wife
Daniel Koster - resident/engineer
Mercia Koster - resident/wife of Daniel Koster
Vault 87 Overseer
Chief Physician Dr. Wayne Merrick
Mary Kilpatrik - resident/test subject
Plus an unreferenced ammount of vault security, technicians, scientists, lab assistants, engineers and other residents
1. Donald Scott
2. Jason Stevens - resident
3. Adela Children - resident
4. Grant Levelle - resident
5. Marianne Hanseu - resident
6. Tallulah Bloise - resident
7. Lyle Field - resident
8. Kristy Eva - resident
9. Laraine Kifer - resident
10. Paulina Day - resident
11. Hortensia Williamson - resident
12. Breanna Ramsey - resident
13. Ebony Coates - resident
14. Jacqui Haverrman - resident
15. Ruby Milliron - resident
16. Ludovic Hindman
17. Blake Porter
18. Maurice Fitzgerald
19. Evette Errett
20. Denton Butterfill
21. Carol Beck
22. Truman West
23. Ormerod Biery
24. Bryan Hallauer
25. Greig Burris
26. Lewella Yonkie
27. Tanika Monroe
28. Wilton Isemann
29. Hilda Brandenburg
30. Angelia Martin
31. Doron Baird
32. Quentin Reade
33. Mercia Koster
34. Roxie Blaine
35. Maxine Weinstein
36. Cindra Goldvogel
37. Allen Loewentsein
38. Carolyn Blunt
39. Mallory Filby
40. Becca Houston
41. Lorinda Bennett
42. Burgundy Elder
43. Wiley Geddinge
44. Oscar Ward
45. Ursula Fuller
46. Godiva Rodacker
47. Avila Morgan
48. Nick Magor
49. Normand Keppel
50. Ilene Pheleps
51. Xenia Read
52. Keshia Herrold
53. Sheenagh Tanner
54. Margery Brooks
55. Donnie Blair
56. Ella Archibald
57. Elwyn Cable
58. Elise Finck
59. Kory Iseman
60. Faith Howe
61. Lynne Munson
62. Spike Tilton
63. Bennett Faust
64. Lessie Basmanoff
65. Kendall Lucy
66. Kurtis Rega
67. Celeste Joyce
68. Matthew Fry
69. Laurelle Crawford
70. Lenny Warner
71. Lyndon Shaffer
72. Griffin Heyman
73. Janelle Woodward
74. Darla Moberly
75. Ellis Barrett
76. Eve Greenawalt
77. Diane Law
78. Opal Holtzer
79. Mamie Style
80. Kathie Welty
81. Hervey Craig
82. Kristie Noton
83. Marion Ann
84. Margaretta Pearson
85. Zoey Garland
86. Kennard Alice
87. Timotha Shafer
88. Trinity Dunlap
89. Wyatt Todd
90. Mortimer Moulton
91. Dudley Myers
92. Deryck Lowe
93. Kelli Bowman
 Notable loot
- This is the only time Fawkes' super sledge can be acquired; you must either kill Fawkes or trade weapons with him to get it.
- A copy of Nikola Tesla and You can be found in a wooden box at the feet of a mannequin in the southwestern-most dead-end tunnel of the Reactor Chamber, along with four bottles of whiskey (from the Murder Pass entrance, turn left and go downstairs, turn left again, then through the door at the end of the corridor).
- A copy of Pugilism Illustrated is on a shelf in the storage room behind an average locked door on the southwestern side of the catwalk level of the living quarters. There is also a Nuka-Cola Quantum, AER9 laser rifle, microfusion cells, and a safe with random loot in this room.
 Related quests
- If you try to get in through the main entrance, you will meet levels up to 800 rads before you even get to the door.
- The highest rad detected is 2475 rads per second, in the central area: if you get to door then it will reduce to approximately 2100 rads per second.
- If you stand a step behind the door where the G.E.C.K. is, your Geiger counter will go silent and you will not receive any more rads until you move from that spot.
- It is possible to trigger the G.E.C.K by going into the chamber before Fawkes and selecting the right option. However, the activation will cause an explosion from the G.E.C.K., and will kill you.
- Fast-traveling to the Vault 87 map marker does not put you near the irradiated vault entrance; instead, it deposits you safely outside the south-by-southwest gate that's guarded by super mutants.
- Although the maintenance tech's computer says his wife Mercia was taken by the EEP program and killed, her cause of death in the Medical Records computer is listed as 'Cancer Type I', as opposed to the 'unexplained' designation that victims of the EEP have.
- Ironically enough, while the outside of the vault has lethal amounts of radiation, sinks and toilets inside the vault have less rads than normal ones in the Capital Wasteland. The most probable cause for this is that the water purifier may still be functioning.
- Inside the vault, there are several locked doors that contain RadAway, ammunition, and other various things such as Rad-X and radiation suits.
- A complete list of all individuals who died in Vault 87 before the Super Mutants took over can be found on a terminal in the medical bay.
- On the way from Fawkes' isolation room to the G.E.C.K. storage room, there is a door that says "Requires Key," but the game designers did not intend for the player to be able to open it. Using console commands to either unlock or walk through this door leads to an empty room containing the closed main vault door for Vault 87, complete with an "87" logo on the outside. The player can "use" the door, and it will be opened/closed via a mechanical arm (just like in other vaults with working doors); however, there is nothing on the other side except for a small platform that opens into empty space. Walking off the edge of the platform into the empty space will cause the player character to be redeposited in front of Fawkes' isolation room.
- Also, when you inevitably get captured by the Enclave when you have the G.E.C.K, you can return to the vault finding the door marked "Requires Key" open. You can open the vault 87 front door but there is just an out-of-area place that when walked to will put you back at the start of vault 87.
- In the room where the G.E.C.K. is located, you can receive as much as almost 400 rads/second. If you have enough items that prevent radiation and you can see where the G.E.C.K. is, take a right.
- In the main area, there are two locked doors requiring 100 Lockpick to open. They are nothing else but shortcuts.
- Before setting off the fire alarm, you can terminate your foes by hacking the terminal near the isolation room door. Same goes to Fawkes's room (75 Science skill points required).
- Retrieving the G.E.C.K. is possible by yourself, without the help of console commands. Since it will take you about 10–15 seconds to get killed by radiation poisoning, you should have enough rad-prevention items for 8 minutes at the most, along with a high Medicine skill, and some rad-friendly perks.
- Even if you looked around everywhere, there is nowhere in the vault that leads to the front gates, and seeing that the way through the terminal passage and Murder Pass was closed off when you first get to Little Lamplight, it is unknown how the super mutants got outside.
- The number of undefined deaths on the medical terminal is 87.
|The following is based on Fallout 3 cut content and has not been confirmed by canon sources.|
- Five holotapes were planned to be added throughout the vault about Fawkes' original identity, and as you got closer, the tension of pre-Fawkes got more intense, until finally, on the fifth holotape, Fawkes all mutated, smashes the holotape. (See Fawkes for more info)
|End of information based on Fallout 3 cut content.|
Vault 87 only appears in Fallout 3.
- companions following you through the Vault (other than Fawkes) will be killed or misplaced when you are arrested by the Enclave. It is possible that
Sometimes when a companion is lost while you're arrested, when you go back inside the Vault with another companion they will disappear, and they will be found dead in the position that your lost companion was in, just to the north of the T-junction where you were captured. This companion will be lost, and after a few days, you will receive a message that they have died.
- If you leave your follower outside, you will find them teleported to the same room, alive. This may be related to having more than one follower at a time.
- When passing the cells containing centaurs, it is possible for the first centaur, in the cell on the left, to appear outside the cell as the player passes and being able to attack the player. Once it is killed, it's top half may appear back in the cell while its bottom half is stretched across the ceiling of the corridor, or it may disappear into the floor entirely upon being killed. The centaur may also pass through the wall between its cell and Fawkes' cell, resulting in Fawkes killing it.
- If you go to the door in Little Lamplight that requires the broken terminal to be repaired, you may find it is already open and you can get into Vault 87 with no problems.
- Upon re-entering the Vault with Fawkes after completing the quest, if you select the "Kill subject" option on the terminal outside of Fawkes' old cell, he will instantly die if he enters it, even if he is not in the room when the fire is released.
- Dogmeat as a companion, and you go into the test labs, he will stand idle in front of the living quarters' door. Interacting with him will instantly put you on an empty item menu. Dogmeat will then be found back in the test labs, in the same position. This can be fixed by loading a previous save. Note: Loading the Auto-save that it defaults to will have him up for a split-second, but he'll just fall onto his side. If you have
Surrounding of Vault 87 guarded by several Vault 87 super mutants
Failed Forced Evolutionary Virus experiment in Vault 87
Murder pass entrance
Alternate entrance in The Great Chamber
Concept art by Adam Adamowicz
- ↑ Citadel terminal entries#Vault 87
- ↑ Vault 87 terminal entries#Chief Physician Dr. Wayne Merrick terminal entries
- ↑ Vault 87 terminal entries#Medical records]] "To All Medical Records Staff Any Vault member marked as deceased by the special EEP section will be tagged and coded in the computer as an unexplained or undefined death. This comes directly from the Overseer of this Vault, who will be personally inspecting your reports to make sure they are accurate. Please refrain from sending inquiries or clarification requests to this office or the EEP Chief Physician. Please print out and give any next of kin Form DV-900L if they have questions."
- ↑ Vault 87 terminal entries#Medical records"To All Medical Records Staff The following are the new revised Death Code definitions. Please update all files to include these codes for faster handling. Note that criminal deaths/suicides are NEVER listed in these files as such. They must be listed under a code A008 in Accidental Deaths as per Vault-Tec mandate."
- ↑ Fallout 3 Official Game Guide