From The Vault - Fallout Wiki
The B-29, raised to the surface
Synopsis[edit | edit source]
Walkthrough[edit | edit source]
- Become idolized by the Boomers. This can be done several ways.
- Complete any number of quests, including Ant Misbehavin', Sunshine Boogie, Young Hearts, Bear Necessities, Iron and Stealing, Malleable Mini Boomer Minds, and Missing a Few Missiles.
- Help Argyll with his patients. A Medicine skill of 60 is required to heal all of them.
- Listen to Pete's lecture on the Boomers in the Nellis Boomer museum.
- Once idolized, report to Pearl in her barracks.
- Talk to Loyal about the airplane; he tells you it's at the bottom of Lake Mead. He will give you Loyal's detonator and two flotation ballasts to attach to the plane.
- Proceed to the submerged crashed B-29 inside Callville Bay and attach the ballasts to the underside of each wing.
- Travel to Callville Bay; equip and activate Loyal's detonator to inflate the ballasts.
- Travel back to Nellis. Speak to Loyal, then speak to Pearl.
Quest stages[edit | edit source]
|1||Help the Boomers around Nellis.|
|2||Return to Pearl.|
|3||Speak to Loyal about the Boomer's plan to raise the bomber from the bottom of Lake Mead.|
|4||(Optional) Talk to Jack about getting a rebreather to swim to the bottom of Lake Mead.|
|5||Attach the ballast from Loyal to the B-29 at the bottom of Lake Mead.|
|6||Return to the shore near the tow winch and use Loyal's detonator to float the B-29 to the surface.|
|7||Return to Loyal to let him know the B-29 is up from the bottom of the lake.|
|8||Let Pearl know the bomber is raised from the lake.|
Notes[edit | edit source]
- You must complete this quest if you wish to convince the Boomers to aid you or whoever you side with in the Second Battle of Hoover Dam.
- Completion of this quest whilst following the Independent path will also allow you to bluff General Oliver into backing down, with the threat of the Boomers bombing the Dam.
- Rocket souvenirs can't be given to the Mini Boomers once you have completed this quest; it can only be done during the quest.
- Radio New Vegas will mention the B-29 upon completion, talking about the "Lake Mead Monster" and how unfortunately the pictures are "grainy and underdeveloped". Mr. New Vegas will also mention a plane flying over Freeside.
Behind the scenes[edit | edit source]
- Volare! was outlined by Joshua Eric Sawyer and later fully implemented by Akil Hooper.
- Volare means to fly in Italian.
- Volare is the name of an Italian song by Domenico Modugno. An English version was later sung by, among others, Dean Martin.
- A B-29 did crash in Lake Mead, mostly intact, in 1948.
- The sequence in the museum may be a reference to a famous similar sequence in "Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome" in which a group of children tell Max the story of their town through cave paintings.
Bugs[edit | edit source]
- Pete will begin talking about the Boomers, then when he finishes his first part of the speech, he won't move and will stand still forcing you to either leave the building, or reload the game. Sometimes when you start the history lesson at the museum in Nellis AFB,
- Raul's side quest useless since you won't be able to talk to him. He will not appear in his home either; he can likely be found glitched into Black Mountain (still making the quest useless). Sometimes Loyal will not be in the hangar after this quest, making
- It's possible to enter Nellis AFB at the gate via non-player character conversation in the middle of an active artillery barrage, unfortunately after doing so however, you continue to be barraged when leaving Nellis AFB later on.
- Sometimes after completing the quest, the bomber in the hangar will not be repaired. It will look the same as if you did not start the quest.
- Sometimes after completing the Sunshine Boogie quest, when you try to talk to Jack he will say "Go to hell outsider, stay away from me" whether you failed the Young Hearts quest or not, making it impossible to obtain the rebreather. This may be connected to the dialogue option that "tricks" him into talking about the secret project, as immediately after he regrets telling you is when the "go to hell" repeat begins.