The infobox template in this article is missing some required data. You can help The Vault by filling it in.
A template in this article or section is missing some data. You can help The Vault by filling it in.
This article has missing audio files. You can help The Vault by uploading them.
Yeah, because you would have just whined about it. If you aren't getting your hands dirty, you aren't making a difference. Welcome to the world. What's important is that the kid is here now, and we can move on to the last part of the plan. That's just a simple matter of letting the Trogs overrun Haven and take care of the bosses for us.”— Wernher
Once one of the smarter raiders in The Pitt and Ashur's lieutenant, Wernher was condemned to slavery after trying to stage a coup to overthrow Ashur. He used his knowledge of electronics to deactivate his collar and escape. He harbors a grudge against the city and against Ashur in particular. He has no particular love for the slaves, and he sees a plan to kidnap Ashur’s baby as a way to get back at The Pitt’s ruler and the city in general.
Before he escaped, Wernher began organizing a slave revolt against Ashur, in collaboration with Midea, the de facto leader of the slaves. However, to put his plan into action, he required the assistance of a healthy, able outsider to infiltrate the Pitt raiders without being recognized. After his escape, Werhner broadcast a radio distress call to alert anyone who would listen to his situation.
- He is a good friend of Midea and the leader of the Pitt slaves.
If the Free Labor quest is completed by siding with the slaves, Wernher generally wanders Downtown and can be seen making conversation with the locals. However, he can also wander outside the city limits and seems to get stuck around the Bridge and Trainyard.
Interactions with the player character
|This character is essential. Essential characters cannot be killed.|
|This character starts quests.|
|This character is involved in quests.|
- Into the Pitt: Wernher address you and tells you about his predicament in the Pitt.
- Free Labor: Ashur and Wernher are involved in a violent dispute concerning the Troglodyte Degeneration Contagion and each wants the other dead.
- As you are about to leave with him to go to The Pitt for the first time, he will comment on any followers you have with you as he tells you they can't come with you:
- Wernher will refer to Fawkes or Charon as "whatever he is."
- If Butch is in your party, Wernher will comment that "some greaser" will only get in the way.
- Sergeant RL-3 will be referred to by Wernher as a "bucket of bolts".
- Having Clover with you will cause Wernher to comment that he can't have a "diseased whore" tagging along.
- If Cross is with you, he will comment that a "do-gooder" like her might get in the way.
- If Dogmeat is in your party, he will state that you can't take the "filthy mutt" with you as he'll get in the way.
- Having Jericho as your companion will cause Wernher to state that you don't need a "burnt out old loser" tagging along.
- If you kill Ashur during the Free Labor quest and start conversation with Wernher wearing Ashur's power armor, he might comment about it.
- Wernher sarcastically refers to the player as "hero", "moneybags" or "joker" in several conversations, depending on the dialogue option the player chooses (offer to help, skip to the part about a reward or insult Wernher's combat skills) when they first speak with Wernher.
|Apparel||Weapon||Other item||On death|
|Merc cruiser outfit||Scoped .44 magnum||-||Power Plant key|
- Wernher levels with the player character, with a health and combat skill scale identical to the game's permanent companions.
- Whereas most essential non-player characters become unconscious when their health is depleted, Wernher's will not. His health will instantly regenerate to its maximum.
- Wernher is one of the few named characters who wear eyepatches, the others being Split Jack, Junders Plunkett, Billy Creel, and the Drifter.
Behind the scenes
- Wernher may be a reference to S. D. "Snake" Plissken from John Carpenter's Escape from New York and Escape from L.A.
- Wernher may inexplicably become hostile to the player. If so, he cannot be killed. The console can be used to fix this glitch on the PC. Console users can wait outside his hideout for three full days to reset Wernher's AI, after which he will proceed normally. This may happen if you attack or kill a slave during the Free Labor quest.
- When you first enter The Pitt, you are ambushed by Pitt raiders. When attacking them, Wernher may suddenly become hostile to you, and/or not to the raiders.
- Fallout 3 Official Game Guide Game of the Year Edition p.102-103: "Wernher
Once one of the smarter raiders in The Pitt, Wernher was condemned to slavery after trying to stage a coup to overthrow Ashur. He used his knowledge of electronics to deactivate his collar and escape. He harbors a grudge against the city and against Ashur in particular. He has no particular love for the slaves, and he sees a plan to kidnap Ashur’s baby as a way to get back at The Pitt’s ruler and the city in general."