Wheel of Fortune
Wheel of Fortune
 Quick walkthrough
- Talk to Logan in the church basement in Camp Searchlight.
- Find some radiation suits near Nipton.
- Return to Logan.
- Explore the buildings in Camp Searchlight with Logan.
 Detailed walkthrough
A group of scavengers inside the NCR storage room (the basement of the Camp Searchlight church) are looking to raid the town now that the NCR has has vacated it. However, the scavengers can't go out for the same reason the NCR left; the Legion detonated a dirty bomb in the town and they can't go anywhere without radiation suits.
Their leader, Logan says that when you find some radiation suits, come back to him, but otherwise stay out of their way. A terminal in the basement reveals that Nipton could have some radiation suits. Since Boxcars is the only remaining living resident, you must speak to him. He directs you to a hidden supply cave north of the town that has a radiation suit package.
After you return the suits to the mercenaries, you must raid Searchlight police station to look for NCR materials. The parts needed are:
- One (1) NCR 9mm submachine gun in the right hand jail cell.
- One (1) NCR 10mm pistol on the desk located in the northwest corner of the office.
- Two (2) NCR Computer Parts in the office's second and fifth center desks from the left.
- Three (3) NCR frag grenade on the bottom, middle shelf on the east wall of the storage room.
- One (1) NCR grenade rifle on the stack of boxes next to the aforementioned shelves along the east wall of the storage room.
- Two (2) NCR radio parts in the third desk from the left in the semi-circle of 3 desks in the corner of the office. The second radio parts are found in the leftmost desk in the cluster of three desks in the northeast corner of the room.
After obtaining all of these parts and returning them to Logan, you must travel to the heavily irradiated Searchlight fire station, where you will encounter a radscorpion queen upon entry. After defeating her, you then travel to the upper level, where you must look for more NCR parts. The parts in upper floor of the fire station are:
- One (1) NCR 9mm submachine gun on the shelves in the room with the Chief Fire Officer terminal.
- Two (2) NCR frag grenade on the shelves in the room with the Chief Fire Officer terminal. Same room as the 9mm submachine gun.
- Two (2) NCR radio parts on top of a small table in the room with the beds.
- Four (2) NCR computer parts in the two duffle bags in the room with the beds.
- One (2) NCR 10mm pistol on top of a table in the kitchen.
After again finding as many supplies as you can find, Logan will thank you and then attempt to kill you and take the supplies you found. If you succeed in killing Logan, you may take all the weapons you found in their normal form.
- Even if you killed all the ghouls in the area before taking the quest, new feral ones will appear in the camp.
- If Logan gets killed by the radscorpion queen in the fire station, the quest will immediately end in neither failure nor success.
- Killing Logan or Boxcars prior to obtaining this quest will fail the quest.
- If the quest cannot be completed due to a bug, and the player still needs the keys to the Searchlight fire and police stations, Logan can be killed for the keys. However they cannot be pickpocketed, as they won't appear in his inventory.
 Journal entries
|1||Speak with someone in Nipton about the missing radiation suits.|
|2||Find suits in a nearby cave.|
|3||Return with the suits to Logan.|
|4||Go with Logan to the Police Station.|
|5||Go with Logan to the Fire Station.|
 Behind the scenes
The quest name is based on the mythological concept of the Wheel of Fortune, or Rota Fortunae. The basic concept behind men's fates behind being that the spinning of the wheel would lead to great misfortune or great success as the wheel 'turned' for them.
- Med-X prior to this quest, the player is only given the "goodbye" option when talking to him.
If the player has already given Boxcars the maximum number of
- setstage 0014050D 15. To advance the quest to the phase where the footlocker containing the "radiation suit package" spawns, you can use the console ('~' key to open the console) and type:
- Logan will refuse to enter into conversation with the player. It may not be possible to retrieve the fire station key even after killing him, preventing entry into that location.
- If you kill Logan you can take the NCR radio and NCR computer parts, they are marked as quest items and will not leave the players inventory.
- Logan and his cronies can be killed in fire station and quest will be completed.
- Nipton prior to this quest can prevent the dialog option relating to it from becoming available when speaking to Boxcars. Exploring the hidden supply cave just outside
- Sometimes Logan will keep telling the player that there have to be more NCR parts in the police station even though everything has been collected.
In some cases, the NCR 9mm submachine gun or the NCR grenade launcher will not be where it is supposed to be. In this case, Logan will persist in telling you there must be more NCR equipment. Nothing can induce him to move on to the fire station, so the quest must be abandoned. On PC, the grenade launcher can sometimes spawn inside one of the crates, making it inaccessible.
- Causing an explosion in the corner where the boxes are may cause the grenade launcher to appear on one of the desks, or at least poke out of the box. This may require repeated attempts.
- Sometimes the footlocker supposedly containing the "radiation suit package" is inaccessible and thus not able to be obtained. This can be fixed by reloading the autosave.