X-8: Data Retrieval Test is a side quest in the Fallout: New Vegas add-on, Old World Blues.
 Quick walkthrough
- Start and complete the data retrieval test.
- Read the terminal above Gabe's lair.
- Switch the cyberdogs with the unusual specimens.
- Replay the data retrieval test.
- Go to the test terminal to get the data results.
 Detailed walkthrough
This quest becomes available after completing X-8: High School Horror!. Afterward, you have the option of retrieving more student records. Start and complete the data retrieval test by finding the records on the three terminals in American High. After exiting the testing facility, you go through winding hallways above American High. It ends with an open room with a terminal on a table. The exit to the main facility is a door nearby.
Go back to the first terminal and start the advanced test. Here you will receive the ability to disable force fields with the upgraded sonic emitter. Now, go to the terminal that is found at the end of the series of hallways that diverge from the way, to exit. You know you're in the right place when you're in an observation booth above Gabe's lair. Read the contents of that terminal; it mentions "unusual specimens that can be used in the Institutional test. From here, travel to the X-13 research facility to find the X-8 kennel key in a locked stockroom next to the first room. This room will contain a few nightstalkers who are hostile.
Return to the X-8 research center, and return to the testing terminal. the kennel door is just to the left; open the kennel door and switch the cyberdogs with the unusual specimens using the terminal. Proceed through both the advanced, and basic test again with the unusual specimens. Following completion, go to the final terminal marked on your map to see the data results.
 Journal entries
|10|| ||Gather the three student records.|
|20|| ||Exit the testing area.|
|25|| ||Activate Institutional Data Retrieval Test (Advanced) at the X-8 Test terminal.|
|28|| ||Enter the testing area.|
|30|| ||Download the Field Disrupter EM Pulse Wave for the sonic emitter.|
|40|| ||Retrieve the three student records from the desk terminals in the X-8 Institutional Facility.|
|50|| ||Exit the testing area.|
|52|| ||Find more information about the X-test|
|55|| ||Find the key to the X-8 kennels (sonic emitter EM Pulse Wave Upgrade Required).|
|60|| ||Release the unusual specimen into the testing area.|
|70|| ||Activate Institutional Data Retrieval Test (Basic) at the X-8 Test terminal.|
|75|| ||Exit the testing area.|
|80|| ||Retrieve the three student records from the desk terminals in the X-8 Institutional Facility.|
|90|| ||Exit the testing area.|
|100|| ||Activate Institutional Data Retrieval Test (Advanced) at the X-8 Test terminal.|
|140|| ||Retrieve the three student records from the desk terminals in the X-8 Institutional Facility.|
|150|| ||Exit the testing area.|
|160||Retrieve test data from the X-8 Test terminal.|
- Choosing both "Unusual Specimen" and "release cyberdogs" will change the status of hostile nightstalker into military cyberdog inside the Test Chamber.
- The only schematics for the FIDO variant of the K9000 cyberdog gun are found next to the terminal inside the kennel.
- Just after completing the quest, you will be rewarded with the DNAgent perk.
- prid xx00e0e2, enable, unlock. Repeat this for xx00e0e3, and xx00e0e4; the xx should be replaced by the position of OldWorldBlues.esm from your load order.
After releasing the "Unusual Specimens" and starting the "Institutional Data Retrieval Test (Basic)/(Advanced)" the terminals to retrieve the student records will not appear causing the player to be trapped and the rendering the quest impossible to complete. Renabling the terminals via the console will allow the quest to be completed. To do this, use the following series of commands;
- This bug doesn't cause you to fail the quest, but it can go to an infinite loop of finished/unfinished quest pop-ups.
- After initiating the "Institutional Data Retrieval Test (Basic)" and choosing the "Unusual Specimen" option from the Kennel terminal, initiating the "release cyberdogs" option may cause the quest to be completed, but will show the "Institutional Data Retrieval Test" & "Unusual Specimen" options as uncompleted on your quest task list, basically showing on your completed tasks list that you never actually fulfilled the requirements to complete the test. The bug appears to come from the map-marker as it doesn't move from Kennel terminal to the X-8 Test terminal after "Unusual Specimen" is chosen confusing the player by the map-marker. Initiating only the "Unusual Specimen" option on the X-8 Test terminal and starting the Basic Test and Advanced Test at the same time, will finish the quest.
|Act 1||Ain't That a Kick in the Head · Back in the Saddle · By a Campfire on the Trail · They Went That-a-Way · Ring-a-Ding-Ding!|
|Act 2||Wild Card (Wild Card: Ace in the Hole, Change in Management, You and What Army?, Side Bets, Finishing Touches) · The House Always Wins (I, II, III, IV, V, VI, VII, VIII) · Render Unto Caesar · Et Tumor, Brute? · Things That Go Boom · Kings' Gambit · For the Republic, Part 2 · You'll Know It When It Happens/Arizona Killer|
|Act 3||No Gods, No Masters · All or Nothing · Veni, Vidi, Vici · Eureka!|
|Other||Come Fly With Me · Crazy, Crazy, Crazy · Ghost Town Gunfight · Guess Who I Saw Today · Left My Heart · My Kind of Town · The Legend of the Star and A Valuable Lesson · Unfriendly Persuasion · Wheel of Fortune|
|Companion quests||ED-E My Love · For Auld Lang Syne · Heartache by the Number · I Could Make You Care · I Forgot to Remember to Forget · Nothin' But a Hound Dog · One For My Baby|
|Unmarked quests||A Bit of Slap and Tickle · Access Powers · All Fired Up! · Andy and Charlie · Arachnophobia · Arizona Scavenger · Barton the Fink · Bear Necessities · Big Winner (Atomic Wrangler, The Gomorrah, The Tops, Ultra-Luxe, Vikki & Vance) · Bounty Killer (I, II) · Brotherhood Bond (I, II) · Caching in at the Cove · Cajoling a Cudgel · Claws Mended · Claws Out · Dealing with Contreras · Defacing the Humble Stone · Democracy Inaction · Don't Poke at the Bear · Eddie's Emissary · Exhumin' Nature · Flogging a Dead Corpse · Friend of the Followers · Getting a Leg Up from Andy · Gland for Some Home Cooking · Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger · Hat's Entertainment · Help for Halford · Hidden Valley computer virus · Highway to the Danger Zone (I, II) · Honorary Rocketeer · I Love Bananas · Iron and Stealing · Keith's Caravan Charade · Laurifer Gladiator · Lenk's Bad Debts · Lily and Leo · Long-Term Care · Malleable Mini Boomer Minds · Maud's Muggers · Meeting an Equal · Missing a Few Missiles · Not Worth a Hill of Corn and Beans · Of Boomers and Education · Old School Ghoul · A Pair of Dead Desperados (I, II) · Papers, Please · Pistol Packing · Playing on the Old Joana · Poor Meat Never Makes Good Soup · Powder to the People · Power to the People · Proper Burial · Razzle Dazzle! · Reach for the Sky, Mister! · Rest and Resupply · Ringo's Caravan Rules · Rotface's Loose Lips · The Screams of Brahmin · Silus Treatment · Short-Term Treatment · Smooth-Talking Criminal · Strategic Nuclear Moose · Straus Calls · Strip Search · Saving (or Savaging) Sergeant Teddy · Stocking Up · Suits You, Sarah · A Team of Moronic Mercenaries · Team Spirit · The Thorn Mayhem · Thought for the Day · Tourist Traipse · Trudy's Radio Repair · A Trusted Aide · Useless Baubles or Fancy Trinkets? · We Must Stop Beating Like This · We Must Stop Meeting Like This (I, II, III, IV) · Wind-Brahmin Wrangler · You Gotta Break Out a Few Eggs · You Make Me Feel Like a Woman|