Yao guai tunnels
Fallout 3 locations project
|For the other yao guai den, see yao guai cave.|
Yao guai tunnels
The yao guai tunnels are located due west of the Charnel house, and northwest of Smith Casey's Garage. The entrance is a chain-link fence door in a rocky outcrop. As the name suggests, the caves are inhabited by a large number of yao guai.
To find the Bobblehead - Sneak, you will enter facing east, continue traveling generally eastward until you see yao guai run across your path from left to right (this is a scripted event, and the yao guai will not be targetable in V.A.T.S., but not necessarily on 360). If you have the animal friend perk, this event is different: the yao guai will stand instead of rushing right to left. At this intersection, marked by a lantern on your left and an overturned bathtub on your right, turn left (north). Continue on this path to a Nuka-Cola Quantum on a table, and turn right (east) there. Continue on this path until reaching a cavern with two exits leading south. Follow either path generally southward, past a stop sign and a downed chain link fence, to the entrance into the yao guai den. Once inside the den, walk straight ahead to the central pillar (not the one in the small room with all the skeletons, keep going into large open area), and then head to the left. Immediately look for the natural stone ramp that leads along the eastern edge of the cavern, overlooking a crescent-shaped pool of water. At the base of the ramp (directly behind pillar with dead wastelander in the hole up high) is a metal box with the bobblehead standing on top of it.
After the quest "Waters of Life" you will find an Enclave camp directly east of this position. They usually are all dead and can be found around the camp, with clear signs of a struggle all around. They may have been studying the yao guai for ways to control them similar to the Enclave deathclaws, or may have simply not known about the yao guai den when they set up the outpost. Also, a Vertibird has been known to land nearby (or other mini-encounter involving Enclave soldier(s) happen).
- There is a Pre-War book on the picnic table just as you enter the tunnels.
- There is a bottle of Nuka-Cola Quantum on a table near a radio, on the way to get the Bobblehead - Sneak (see below).
- There is also a large stash of ammunition, including frag mines, found at the point where the yao guai runs from left to right in front of you, simply turn right (where the yao guai goes) and it's all on a large shelving unit.
- Floating in the pool of water next to the bobblehead is a settler's corpse containing the Yao Guai den note about setting up camp in the tunnels.
- In the southern section of the Yao Guai tunnels there is a Grognak the Barbarian book along with a dead raider on ledge directly in front of the one-way exit out of the yao guai den. You cannot reach this from the tunnel floor, you must travel through the den and exit by the ledge.
- There is a random encounter spawn just north of the entrance.
- A note called "yao guai den" can be found on a wastelander's corpse stating they were building a settlement in the den and had blocked it off from the rest of the tunnels. However the location of several raiders' bodies suggest the barrier was breached which may have accidentally let the yao guai in.
- The ledge where you can find a dead raider (near the exit from the yao guai den in the yao guai tunnels) can be accessed by stacking objects up. This can allow one to get into this entrance to the den, skipping much of the level.
- There is also another dead settler on a column, just north by northwest of the Bobblehead. If the player climbs onto the metal shelving and jump up, the "Search" option will appear momentarily and so the settler can be searched. You can also use a barrel to climb, or explosives to knock her down. She usually carries a scoped .44 magnum or a 10mm pistol.
- It is recommended that lower level characters take the Animal Friend perk due to yao guai being a tough enemy. Alternatively, it is possible to get the Bobblehead and get out undetected with about 2 Stealth Boys.
- Upon entering the yao guai tunnels there is a picnic table with a lunchbox and chessboard (among other things) on the right, a short distance down the path. Behind this, there is a wall of sandbags. To climb over the sandbags and get the loot, use the coffee brewer on the table to get enough height to jump over. There are various foods on the shelves, a dead wastelander, and a couple of cabinets that can be searched.
The yao guai tunnels appear only in Fallout 3.
- Targeting the first yao guai that runs across the screen at the start of the cave (it has no AI and disappears after it is first seen) in V.A.T.S. can cause the game to freeze.
- The Enclave camp may not be around until you go into the caves and back out again.
- While climbing up the natural stone ramp by the Bobblehead, the game might act like you are walking/swimming in water.