*Yes! Thank you. Zero. I am Zero. How hard is that? A narrow, thin Zero.*”
Background[edit | edit source]
Doctor 0 is a pre-War doctor who became a think tank to continue his work at Big MT. Doctor 0 specializes in robotics, although his actual degree of skill in this field is debatable. Before the War, he started a project to reverse-engineer and improve Securitrons, robots created by 0's arch-rival and eternal enemy, Robert House. His sub-psychotic rage towards Mr. House has even extended to a near-homicidal behavior towards the man, as evident from a portrait of House in his house in Higgs Village bearing several knives stabbed/thrown into it.
Despite dedicating a large facility to his Securitron research project, 0 was unable to improve on the original design: all units he worked on are either irreparably damaged or completely berserk. Ironically, the only functioning Securitron he constructed is Muggy.
His proper name is not Doctor O (the letter), but rather Doctor 0 (the number). Virtually everyone makes this mistake, which is a source of endless frustration for him. Despite his frustration, he is more-or-less resigned to answering to "O", stating that, "as long as it serves its purpose...". The mistake still rankles, however, as becomes clear should the matter be brought up with him.
Interactions with the player character[edit | edit source]
Interactions overview[edit | edit source]
|This character starts quests.|
|This character is involved in quests.|
Quests[edit | edit source]
- What's In A Name?: The player must have 9 Intelligence or the Math Wrath perk in order to help him with his name problem. The player character will suggest adding a slash through the zero to differentiate between a zero and O.
- Old World Blues: If Klein can't be convinced otherwise 0, along with 2 other members of the Think Tank, is needed to convince Klein to give up trying to escape the Big MT.
- Picking Your Brains: After completing Welcome to the Big Empty, the player needs to talk to 0 and the rest of the think tanks to complete this quest.
- Welcome to the Big Empty: The player has to talk to 0 as with the rest of the Think Tank.
- When Visitors Attack!: Dr. 0 has some information on the the visitor who assaulted him and Dr. 8.
Effects of the players actions[edit | edit source]
Other interactions[edit | edit source]
If the player has accessed the correct dialogue options during the initial dialogue, he will occasionally give the player 50 caps upon request.
Inventory[edit | edit source]
Drops on death
Notable quotes[edit | edit source]
- "Breaking news: talking lobotomite arrives in think tank. Its purpose? Unknown. Undefinable. Its presence here? Unpossible."
- "You're always yelling, my receptors can't take it anymore - AND NEITHER CAN MY FEELINGS!"
- "Ding...turkey's done."
- "Ten? Borous... why the hell did you install an atomic core!? It'll blow when we reach "one" right?"
- "The Uncanny Valley Research Center has been canceled until further notice. That is, until somebody notices it."
Notes[edit | edit source]
- Appropriately, his house in Higgs Village is #00.
- He has a bigger mouth in comparison to his partners.
- You can tell him if you are working for House, or if you killed House.
- When Dr. Mobius comments on the things the scientists have forgotten, the thrill of discovery is probably aimed at 0 due to his constant competing with the other scientists, and in dialogue during What's In A Name?, if the player convinces him to keep Dr. O, as in "Oh!".
Appearances[edit | edit source]
Behind the scenes[edit | edit source]
- James Urbaniak also plays the voice of Dr. Thaddeus S. "Rusty" Venture of The Venture Bros. Doctor 0's name may be a reference to Dr. Byron Orpheous, a character from the show who is frequently referred to as Dr. O for short.
- If you have the Wild Wasteland trait active, one of his broadcast messages across the crater asks the lobotomites to please remember to clean the walking eye. This is another reference to the Venture Bros. With Wild Wasteland, these walking eyes also appear in the Magnetohydraulics complex, although the player cannot interact with them.
- Both names, 0 (number) and O (letter) are infinitely looping figures, which goes along with the naming theme of the Think Tank Scientists.
- Dr. 0's personality was originally intended to by a frenetic, hyperactive newscaster type, but was re-written to a "scientist-who's-aware-he's-not-brilliant-or-valued". This can still be seen when talking to him before the main quest is finished. This may be a reference to Dr. Venture because he knows he's nowhere near as good a scientist as his father was.
Gallery[edit | edit source]
- Chris Avellone's blog : 0 had his moments - if his greatest creation is a tiny janitor bot that can only collect dishes, that feels in-character to me. Especially considering how far he missed his original target by (figure out what makes Securitrons tick and make them better - whoops!). This clearly shows that none of the Big MT Securitrons were ever functioning properly
- Chris Avellone on Twitter