In the next few weeks, your wiki will be migrated to a Fandom.com domain. Learn more here.
|For an overview of assault rifle models throughout the Fallout series, see assault rifle.|
|The following is based on Fallout Tactics and some details might contradict canon.|
The AK-47 is a selective-fire, gas-operated assault rifle developed in 1944 by Izhmash. It fires 7.62mm and utilizes a 24-round magazine. The main advantages of the AK-47 is its simple design, fairly compact size, inexpensive to manufacture, and easy to clean and maintain. The large gas piston and tapered cartridge case design allow the gun to endure large amounts of foreign matter and fouling without failing to cycle.
The bore and chamber, as well as the gas piston and the interior of the gas cylinder, are chromium-plated, dramatically increasing the life of these parts by resisting corrosion and wear. As each bullet travels through the barrel, a portion of the gases expanding behind it is diverted into the gas tube above the barrel, where it impacts the gas piston. The piston, in turn, is driven backward, pushing the bolt carrier, which causes the bolt to move backwards, ejecting the spent round, and chambering a new round when the recoil spring pushes it back. Its reliability, ruggedness and accuracy have earned it the reputation of being the best assault rifle ever made.
Gunsmiths in Appalachia and at Nuka-World managed to replicate the legendary weapon, creating a durable, versatile rifle that can be adapted for a multitude of purposes, including a squad automatic weapon, close quarters battle carbine, and sharpshooter rifle.
The AK-47 and its derivatives formed the mainstay of the Soviet Armies. Its reliability, ruggedness and accuracy have earned it the reputation of being the best assault rifle ever made.
More powerful than the M16A1 but with less accuracy, this weapon makes a decent midgame weapon for gun oriented characters but gradually loses it's effectiveness.
- 6 in Freeport; one in a locker, and the other 5 carried by raiders. Three of the raiders are in the individual tents, one is guarding the still, and one is in the locked house.
- Rock Falls, 25 carried by raiders
- Macomb, 26 carried by raiders
- Preoria, 1 found on a raider's corpse
- Quincy, 3 carried by beastlords
- Mardin, 2 carried by beastlords
- Springfield, found on multiple raiders
- Junction City, 14 carried by Enforcers and 5 can be located in the cave system below the city.
- Coldwater, 5 carried by BOS deserters
Behind the scenes
- The AK-47 is a simple assault rifle of Soviet origin, invented by Mikhail Kalashnikov in 1947 and adopted by the Soviet Army in 1949. AK-47s were manufactured across the world during the second half of the 20th century through the beginning of the 21st century. In 1956, AK-47s were adopted by the Chinese Army (PLA) but were replaced with new-generation assault rifles prior to the Great War.
- The AK-47 was replaced in service by the AK-112 assault rifle at some point before the Great War.
- After the Great War, AK-47s were produced by different workshops and remaining factories throughout the Wasteland, but by some coincidence were not seen in the West Coast, within the NCR limits, nor in the Capital Wasteland