Ain't That a Kick in the Head
|This page is about the quest. For for the song with the same name, see Ain't That a Kick in the Head?.|
Ain't That a Kick in the Head
Time to get your bearings
You're awake. How about that.”— Doc Mitchell
After being shot in the head by a man in a checkered suit, the Courier is rescued by Victor and taken to Doc Mitchell who fixes them up with a little brain surgery. To make sure the Courier is all there, Mitchell asks them to perform a few of tests.
- Pick your name and then your appearance using the RobCo Reflectron.
- Walk to the Vit-o-Matic Vigor Tester and pick your SPECIAL.
- Sit on the couch in the living room and complete the psychological evaluation to pick your tag skills and traits.
- Head out the front door to Goodsprings.
|10||Walk to the Vit-o-matic Vigor Tester.|
|30||Use the Vit-o-matic Vigor Tester.|
|40||Sit down on the couch in Doc Mitchell's living room.|
|50||Follow Doc Mitchell to the exit.|
- Depending on skills tagged, Doc Mitchell will provide the Courier with extra of certain items:
|Lockpick||12 bobby pins instead of 6|
|Explosives||8 sticks of dynamite instead of the 9mm handgun (only when neither Guns nor Energy Weapons are tagged as well)|
|Energy Weapons||Laser pistol and up to 25 energy cells instead of the 9mm handgun (only when Guns isn't tagged as well)|
|Guns||Up to 30 more 9mm rounds, to a maximum of 60.|
|Melee Weapons||Straight razor|
|Unarmed||Boxing gloves (only when Melee Weapons isn't tagged as well)|
- There is no theft penalty for anything in the Doc's house during this initial quest. After leaving the house and returning, items will be marked as owned.
- Before leaving Doc Mitchell's house, the game will offer the option of playing the game in hardcore mode. The reward is an achievement/trophy and there is no in-game reward for completing the game in hardcore mode.
- If the Courier talks to the doctor again before leaving the house, they are given the option to use a Medicine or Speech check (30). If the speech check is successful then the player is rewarded with three stimpaks.
Behind the scenes
- Ain't That a Kick in the Head? is the name of a popular Dean Martin song. The song is also featured on the in-game radio station Radio New Vegas and played in the casinos.
- Vit-o-Matic Vigor Tester, clicking on the up/down arrows to increase or decrease a statistic, or the left/right arrows to shift between statistics, may not work. If this happens, it may be that the game thinks that the arrow is somewhere else, in which case clicking elsewhere on the screen will produce the desired result. Another workaround is to use your keyboard's arrow keys (not the WSAD keys) to increase/decrease statistics and shift between statistics. While using the
- Sometimes you cannot sit on the ruined couch which makes leaving Dr.Mitchell's House impossible.
- Sometimes you will be unable to interact with the Vit-o-Matic Vigor Tester when Doc. Mitchell tells you to, requiring the player to start a brand new game.