Background[edit | edit source]
University Point was a place of higher learning before the Great War, and home to some of the most talented minds in the United States. Although not quite on CIT's level, Massachusetts Bay University was a popular destination for students and had its own fair share of great minds, including Prof. Stuart Campbell. The University could've prospered even more if its Dean wasn't focused on profiteering from its operations and embezzling money. He brought Campbell on not for academic pursuits, but for his contacts in the private sector and access to research grants. It was a profitable arrangement at first, but what Patterson failed to account for was that Campbell was well aware of that and structured his contract not just to guarantee tenure, but also give him autonomy and independence from Patterson's control and meddling. When the military contacted Campbell regarding his energy research, Campbell wasted no time arranging for a research grant and aid in constructing a laboratory beneath the administration building.
The Dean did not take kindly to this independence and demanded full disclosure from Campbell, especially after construction work started under University buildings, all classified and under Campbell's authority. The Professor, of course, refused to submit to the demands and simply referred him to his liaison, Colonel Rosemont. Of course, since Patterson had no security clearance, he was repeatedly rebuffed, and eventually thrown out of Colonel's military base when he went there to meet him in person. The events further aggravated the conflict between him and the professor. The University was making money, yes, but Campbell's flagrant disrespect for the Dean's authority could not go unpunished. In his desperation to control Campbell, the Dean tried to find leverage, first by trailing him and then enlisting the aid of a suspended student. In return for forging a good GPA, Henry Mitchell provided evidence that suggested Campbell was having an illicit affair with a student, Leslie Mathews. Patterson wasted no time in threatening Campbell.
Appearances[edit | edit source]
Alan Patterson is mentioned only in Fallout 4.
- University Point terminals; Professor's Terminal
- University Point terminals; Dean's Terminal, [SCampbell] - About my research
- University Point terminals; Professor's Terminal, [APatterson]- I have a right to know
- University Point terminals; Professor's Terminal, [TRobinson] - Construction under Admin?
- University Point terminals; Dean's Terminal, [DParker] - Can't reach the Colonel
- University Point terminals; Professor's Terminal, [APatterson]- Regarding Col. Rosemont
- University Point terminals; Dean's Terminal, [SCampbell] - You don't have clearance
- University Point terminals; Dean's Terminal, [HMitchell] - About Prof. Campbell
- University Point terminals; Lab Terminal, Containment problems: "Progress on the project has been slow so far, mostly because the Dean has been having Prof. Campbell tailed to try to figure out where the lab is. Curtis brought up the idea of giving us unrestricted access to the lab, but Prof. Campbell said that he needs to make sure things are established and safe first. Thus far we've had trouble in containing the plasmon scattering from the electron beam. I've checked and rechecked the professors calculations and they seem good, but it just doesn't replicate in our practicals."
- University Point terminals; Professor's Terminal, [APatterson]- Leslie Mathews