Collect NCR troopers' dogtags
After speaking with Aurelius of Phoenix, he offers the character a bounty on the lives of NCR soldiers. For proof, Aurelius will require NCR dogtags to be brought to him. With a Barter of 35, the cap reward can be changed to ammunition and/or supplies. To inquire about the ammunition and/or supplies, you will have to see Decanus Severus. To easily find NCR dogtags, it is best to head to areas with a high NCR population. These areas include Camp McCarran, Camp Forlorn Hope, Camp Golf, Hoover Dam and Mojave Outpost.
Locate Aurelius of Phoenix and turn in the dogtags, you will be paid in caps for every dogtag you turn in; if you succeed at the Barter check you can trade them with Decanus Severus for ammunition, firearms, explosives, armor or food depending the amount of dogtags turned in.
These are the available trade options for Decanus Severus:
- Armor: 15 dogtags for a leather armor; 20 dogtags for a leather armor, reinforced
- Ammunition: each dogtag corresponds to 10 rounds of 10mm, .22 LR, .357 magnum, 20 gauge shotgun shells or energy cells.
- Explosives: every 3 dogtags can be traded for one frag grenade or dynamite.
- Firearms: 20 dogtags for a 9mm submachinegun, 30 dogtags for a 10mm SMG, 25 dogtags for a laser pistol, 50 dogtags for a laser rifle
- The NCR troopers at some bases (most notably Camp Golf) respawn every 3-4 game days, allowing the player to theoretically collect infinite NCR dogtags, rewards, and Caesar's Legion fame through this quest.
- NCR dogtags can be pick pocketed from NCR troopers. This is especially easy with the drunk troopers on the Strip.
- To gain Legion fame without a karma or NCR reputation loss, you may kill the injured soldiers scattered throughout the no-man's-land between Nelson and Camp Forlorn Hope and retrieve their dogtags. Beware of frag mines placed near or under their bodies as traps. Injured soldiers will respawn with time.
- The most profitable item to turn in is 10mm SMG, the dogtag to cap ratio is 1:79.
- 11 NCR dogtags may be looted from NCR soldier corpses in Camp Guardian caves. The Courier may use these dogtags to increase reputation with the Legion without suffering a loss in reputation with the NCR.
- Quest name from Fallout: New Vegas Official Game Guide