|For an overview of assault rifle models throughout the Fallout series, see assault rifle.|
Regular and fully modified
The assault carbine is a magazine-fed, compact automatic weapon with a high rate of fire and a comparatively low spread, created specifically for use by American paratroopers. It is one of the most accurate automatic weapons in the game, and can be effectively used in close and long range combat.
The assault carbine uses 5mm rounds, boasting an armor piercing effect of -10 DT, and 5mm AP rounds, which have a -25 DT effect. These make the weapon highly effective against medium armored or heavily armored targets, as only power armor possesses more than 25 DT. In addition, 5mm HP rounds have only a x2 DT multiplier, compared to the x3 multiplier of other HP rounds. (All effects as of patch 184.108.40.2062). 5mm ammunition is available in large quantities, as it is also used by the high-capacity minigun. In V.A.T.S mode, it will shoot a 5 round burst for a cost of 20 action points.
A fully repaired assault carbine can fire 3747 rounds before breaking.
- Assault carbine extended magazines, increases ammunition capacity by +6.
- Gun Runners' Arsenal assault carbine , capable of supporting more modifications.
- Lily's assault carbine, a unique non-playable assault carbine used by Lily. It only differs from the standard assault carbine in its use of companion ammunition and an added suppressor.
- Gun Runners - in the back room (straight ahead as you enter) on the back workbench. Also, can be bought from the Vendortron at the kiosk right in front of the gate.
- Vault 34 - two located in the armory.
- Nellis Air Force Base - in the Nellis array, on a dead Boomer, and most Boomers carry them.
- NCR Ranger safehouse - located on a shelf to the right of the reloading bench.
- Super mutants, specifically super mutant brutes in Black Mountain may sometimes carry this weapon.
- One is also carried by Nero in the Gomorrah casino, and can be taken after helping Cachino in the quest How Little We Know.
- One can be found inside Gomorrah, in the basement inside one of the crates.
- One is found on the respawning corpse of a super mutant brute in the water of the lowest level of Ruby Hill Mine.
- May be found on one of the nightkin in Black Rock Cavern.
- During Unfriendly Persuasion, the mercenary Norton will carry one.
- Can be found on some New California Republic veteran rangers later in the game.
- The Arms merchant at the 188 trading post occasionally sells them in average condition, along with assault carbine extended magazines.
- One of the Legionary assassins carries an assault carbine.
- Daniel Contreras will have 2-3 in stock at times.
- Prior to patch 220.127.116.112, the assault carbine had 450 item HP, did 12 points of damage on normal and critical hits, had a minimum spread of 1.5 degrees, and had a critical multiplier of 0.5.
- The weapon may turn invisible while aiming down the sight.
- When dropped with extended mags it appears it has normal mags.