We have begun migration of most wikis to our new host, Amazon Web Services. All but the top 100 wikis are in read-only mode until the migration is complete. Estimated completion: End of Week.
From The Vault - Fallout Wiki
Back in the Saddle is a tutorial quest in Fallout: New Vegas.
After being cleared as stable by Doc Mitchell, he urges the Courier to talk to Goodsprings local ranger Sunny Smiles who can teach them how to fend for themselves in the wasteland and not get shot in the head again.
- Go to the Prospector Saloon and talk to Sunny Smiles.
- Follow her outside and shoot three empty bottles with the varmint rifle and ammunition provided.
- Choose to continue on with Sunny or end the tutorial.
- If accompanying Sunny, head to Goodsprings source south of the town.
- Dispatch the geckos at the three wells along the way to the source. Kill the geckos before the Goodsprings settler dies and the Courier will be rewarded with three bottles of purified water and some reputation within Goodsprings.
- Talk to Sunny about a reward.
|1|| ||Talk to Sunny Smiles in the Prospector Saloon.|
|2|| ||Meet Sunny Smiles behind the Prospector Saloon.|
|3||Shoot 3 sarsaparilla bottles outside the Prospector Saloon.|
|4|| ||Follow Sunny.|
|5|| ||Kill the geckos at the well.|
|6||Talk to Sunny Smiles.|
|7|| ||Kill the geckos at the other wells.|
|8||Talk to Sunny about your reward.|
- If Cheyenne is killed during the gecko fight, Sunny will appear distraught in the next conversation, then apologize to the Courier for her display of emotion.
- You can drop the ammunition given to you by Sunny while shooting the bottles to receive 30 more ammunition. This can only be done once.
- During the quest you can finish it by talking to Sunny Smiles at three different points:
- After shooting the bottles.
- After killing the geckos at the first well.
- After killing the geckos at the two other wells.
The title of the quest is a cultural reference to the song "Back in the Saddle Again" by Gene Autry and Raymond Otis Whitley.
Sometimes the distressed settler will not talk to you after saving her and she will just back away towards Goodsprings, knife drawn and crouching.
- Varmint rifle night scope so you can shoot the geckos at greater distance before they have a chance to kill her.
It is possible that the Goodsprings settler will be killed prior to starting the quest, or before you can reach her. To fix this, you can either reload a previous save, or purchase the
If you finish the tutorial after the shooting lesson, and then fail the quests Run Goodsprings Run and Ghost Town Gunfight before you talk to Trudy, the option that ends the quest may not work and the quest may never end.
- It is possible for the quest to not continue automatically. If a random critter appears outside the saloon when you follow Sunny and she moves to attack she will not give you the rifle or the quest unless you push her back to where she was standing when you come out of the saloon.
|Act 1||Ain't That a Kick in the Head · Back in the Saddle · By a Campfire on the Trail · They Went That-a-Way · Ring-a-Ding-Ding!|
|Act 2||Wild Card (Wild Card: Ace in the Hole, Change in Management, You and What Army?, Side Bets, Finishing Touches) · The House Always Wins (I, II, III, IV, V, VI, VII, VIII) · Render Unto Caesar · Et Tumor, Brute? · Things That Go Boom · Kings' Gambit · For the Republic, Part 2 · You'll Know It When It Happens/Arizona Killer|
|Act 3||No Gods, No Masters · All or Nothing · Veni, Vidi, Vici · Eureka!|
|Other||Come Fly With Me · Crazy, Crazy, Crazy · Ghost Town Gunfight · Guess Who I Saw Today · Left My Heart · My Kind of Town · The Legend of the Star and A Valuable Lesson · Unfriendly Persuasion · Wheel of Fortune|
|Companion quests||ED-E My Love · For Auld Lang Syne · Heartache by the Number · I Could Make You Care · I Forgot to Remember to Forget · Nothin' But a Hound Dog · One For My Baby|
|Unmarked quests||A Bit of Slap and Tickle · Access Powers · All Fired Up! · Andy and Charlie · Arachnophobia · Arizona Scavenger · Barton the Fink · Bear Necessities · Big Winner (Atomic Wrangler, The Gomorrah, The Tops, Ultra-Luxe, Vikki & Vance) · Bounty Killer (I, II) · Brotherhood Bond (I, II) · Caching in at the Cove · Cajoling a Cudgel · Claws Mended · Claws Out · Dealing with Contreras · Defacing the Humble Stone · Democracy Inaction · Don't Poke at the Bear · Eddie's Emissary · Exhumin' Nature · Flogging a Dead Corpse · Friend of the Followers · Getting a Leg Up from Andy · Gland for Some Home Cooking · Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger · Hat's Entertainment · Help for Halford · Hidden Valley computer virus · Highway to the Danger Zone (I, II) · Honorary Rocketeer · I Love Bananas · Iron and Stealing · Keith's Caravan Charade · Laurifer Gladiator · Lenk's Bad Debts · Lily and Leo · Long-Term Care · Malleable Mini Boomer Minds · Maud's Muggers · Meeting an Equal · Missing a Few Missiles · Not Worth a Hill of Corn and Beans · Of Boomers and Education · Old School Ghoul · A Pair of Dead Desperados (I, II) · Papers, Please · Pistol Packing · Playing on the Old Joana · Poor Meat Never Makes Good Soup · Powder to the People · Power to the People · Proper Burial · Razzle Dazzle! · Reach for the Sky, Mister! · Rest and Resupply · Ringo's Caravan Rules · Rotface's Loose Lips · The Screams of Brahmin · Silus Treatment · Short-Term Treatment · Smooth-Talking Criminal · Strategic Nuclear Moose · Straus Calls · Strip Search · Saving (or Savaging) Sergeant Teddy · Stocking Up · Suits You, Sarah · A Team of Moronic Mercenaries · Team Spirit · The Thorn Mayhem · Thought for the Day · Tourist Traipse · Trudy's Radio Repair · A Trusted Aide · Useless Baubles or Fancy Trinkets? · We Must Stop Beating Like This · We Must Stop Meeting Like This (I, II, III, IV) · Wind-Brahmin Wrangler · You Gotta Break Out a Few Eggs · You Make Me Feel Like a Woman|
| Cut quests||Auto-Inject Quest · Bright and Shiny · Chip Provenance · Debug Topics · Jailhouse Rock · Meat of Champions (quest) · TempMan · The Thorn Mayhem · Underpass Water Purifier · Viva Las Vegas! · Welcome to Fabulous New Vegas|