Back in the Saddle is a tutorial quest in Fallout: New Vegas.
After being cleared as stable by Doc Mitchell, he urges the Courier to talk to Goodsprings local ranger Sunny Smiles who can teach them how to fend for themselves in the wasteland and not get shot in the head again.
- To complete the quest, the player has to go to the Prospector Saloon and talk to Sunny Smiles. After a brief exchange, she will volunteer to show the player the ropes.
- The first stage is shooting. Sunny will give some basic pointers on shooting technique and ask the player to shoot three bottles out of the empty ones lines up on the fence. Running out of ammo for the varmint rifle or dropping it to the floor will result in Sunny giving the player 30 more rounds, but only once.
- The player can choose to accompany Sunny to Goodsprings source to the south, to clear out the geckos or to end the tutorial.
- At the source, Sunny will demonstrate stealth and the importance of sneaking. Getting the drop on the geckos gives guaranteed criticals. There are three wells to clear. If the player is fast enough, they can manage it before the Goodsprings settler dies, receiving three bottles of purified water in return and a reputation bonus at Goodsprings. It's possible for Cheyenne to die at this point, resulting in Sunny letting emotions get the better of her, then apologizing for her outburst.
- The quest ends when the player talks to Sunny afterwards. Alternatively, the player can end it after killing the geckos at the first or third well.
|1|| ||Talk to Sunny Smiles in the Prospector Saloon.|
|2|| ||Meet Sunny Smiles behind the Prospector Saloon.|
|3||Shoot 3 sarsaparilla bottles outside the Prospector Saloon.|
|4|| ||Follow Sunny.|
|5|| ||Kill the geckos at the well.|
|6||Talk to Sunny Smiles.|
|7|| ||Kill the geckos at the other wells.|
|8||Talk to Sunny about your reward.|
The script for the settler's conversation might fail to trigger, causing her to go back to Goodsprings crouched.
- Sunny's scripting may be broken by random creature attacks. Nudging her towards quest nodes (outside the rear entrance to the saloon, at the gun range etc.) may help the script along.
|Act 1||Ain't That a Kick in the Head · Back in the Saddle · By a Campfire on the Trail · They Went That-a-Way · Ring-a-Ding-Ding!|
|Act 2||Wild Card (Wild Card: Ace in the Hole, Change in Management, You and What Army?, Side Bets, Finishing Touches) · The House Always Wins (I, II, III, IV, V, VI, VII, VIII) · Render Unto Caesar · Et Tumor, Brute? · Things That Go Boom · Kings' Gambit · For the Republic, Part 2 · You'll Know It When It Happens/Arizona Killer|
|Act 3||No Gods, No Masters · All or Nothing · Veni, Vidi, Vici · Eureka!|
|Other||Come Fly With Me · Crazy, Crazy, Crazy · Ghost Town Gunfight · Guess Who I Saw Today · Left My Heart · My Kind of Town · The Legend of the Star and A Valuable Lesson · Unfriendly Persuasion · Wheel of Fortune|
|Companion quests||ED-E My Love · For Auld Lang Syne · Heartache by the Number · I Could Make You Care · I Forgot to Remember to Forget · Nothin' But a Hound Dog · One For My Baby|
|Unmarked quests||A Bit of Slap and Tickle · Access Powers · All Fired Up! · Andy and Charlie · Arachnophobia · Arizona Scavenger · Barton the Fink · Bear Necessities · Big Winner (Atomic Wrangler, The Gomorrah, The Tops, Ultra-Luxe, Vikki & Vance) · Bounty Killer (I, II) · Brotherhood Bond (I, II) · Caching in at the Cove · Cajoling a Cudgel · Claws Mended · Claws Out · Dealing with Contreras · Defacing the Humble Stone · Democracy Inaction · Don't Poke at the Bear · Eddie's Emissary · Exhumin' Nature · Flogging a Dead Corpse · Friend of the Followers · Getting a Leg Up from Andy · Gland for Some Home Cooking · Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger · Hat's Entertainment · Help for Halford · Hidden Valley computer virus · Highway to the Danger Zone (I, II) · Honorary Rocketeer · I Love Bananas · Iron and Stealing · Keith's Caravan Charade · Laurifer Gladiator · Lenk's Bad Debts · Lily and Leo · Long-Term Care · Malleable Mini Boomer Minds · Maud's Muggers · Meeting an Equal · Missing a Few Missiles · Not Worth a Hill of Corn and Beans · Of Boomers and Education · Old School Ghoul · A Pair of Dead Desperados (I, II) · Papers, Please · Pistol Packing · Playing on the Old Joana · Poor Meat Never Makes Good Soup · Powder to the People · Power to the People · Proper Burial · Razzle Dazzle! · Reach for the Sky, Mister! · Rest and Resupply · Ringo's Caravan Rules · Rotface's Loose Lips · The Screams of Brahmin · Silus Treatment · Short-Term Treatment · Smooth-Talking Criminal · Strategic Nuclear Moose · Straus Calls · Strip Search · Saving (or Savaging) Sergeant Teddy · Stocking Up · Suits You, Sarah · A Team of Moronic Mercenaries · Team Spirit · The Thorn Mayhem · Thought for the Day · Tourist Traipse · Trudy's Radio Repair · A Trusted Aide · Useless Baubles or Fancy Trinkets? · We Must Stop Beating Like This · We Must Stop Meeting Like This (I, II, III, IV) · Wind-Brahmin Wrangler · You Gotta Break Out a Few Eggs · You Make Me Feel Like a Woman|
| Cut quests||Auto-Inject Quest · Bright and Shiny · Chip Provenance · Debug Topics · Jailhouse Rock · Meat of Champions (quest) · TempMan · The Thorn Mayhem · Underpass Water Purifier · Viva Las Vegas! · Welcome to Fabulous New Vegas|